• 91 results
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@cikame said:

No offense taken... not sure why we needed to know though.

Agree. Seems like something that should just have been a passing thought.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

But I don't see how's this game so fantastic, as everybody claims.

OK, it's not really, utterely a bad game, but what? 9.5|10? One of top 5 best RPGs? Oh, what?

It's actually a little boring to me.

- Story OK,

- battle normal,

- searching the world is boring (it's always either bandits camp, monster nest or a hidden treasure),

- I don't complain about graphics, but it's quite a slow game on ps4. No prob with that, but my brother got no patience and he clicks on everything really fast, and once he corrupted a save in the game when the system couldn't take it. There's a few millisecond input lag on everything...

- music is OK, but I don't recall a tone after 30 hours in the game

It's just a game. Not impressed.

Great Review.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#53  Edited By Captain_Insano

FrodoBaggins: If you were born like 2002 and started to play 7 years later...

So let me get the order of events correct.

You start a thread where you say "No offense guys....[insert opinion which is valid, but you will know will be controversial]

There are two posts. One which lightheartedly says you are wrong. Another which agrees with you.

Then you post saying "Wow, everyone is coming at me"

Then when someone defends the game, you call them a child....but seriously "no offense guys".

Like...it's cool, you don't like the Witcher 3. That's fine. No offense, but in my opinion, it's my favourite game. I don't have to justify what I like about the story, the world building, the characters to defend my position. I'm not going to "come at you" for not liking the game. But man, don't create a thread which you know will raise some ire, pretend to not be trying to cause offense, and then be a dick about it. If you want to do that, go over to r/gaming.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Count me as another person who preferred the DLC in The Witcher 3 to most of the base game (it had strong start and a decent ending but the middle was a bloated mess) it helped that by the point the expansions came out the game was in a much better state. I think it's funny how people claim CDPR make much more polished games than Bethesda as i've encountered way more bugs and general instability issues with The Witcher games at launch than any Elder Scrolls game. (didnt play the first two TES games) To CDPR's credit they are much better about fixing those issues though.

I still prefer The Witcher 2, it has a more consistant tone, a more focused story, (even if the stakes are much lower) and each area felt different even if they were much smaller.

I do think going into something that people go crazy over will always lead to threads like this though. "It's just a game, Not impressed" What did you want? Ice cream? ;p

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardqx: i don't remember hearing any of the GB crew saying that they have beaten the game as it seems that they all stopped at different stages in the game.

To me the only thing that I have personally liked about the witcher games are the graphics which were amazing. The Witcher 3 still looks better than some of the games that have been recently released.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the witcher 3 when it came out but yea, it has a ton of problems. the story is great for the most part but geralt is such a shitty and bland protagonist that he almost ruins it. Playing as Ciri would have made for a much more entertaining game. The gameplay is mostly trash, the combat is not very responsive and you don't have much variety in how you can play. It has the worst horse in any video game ever. The progression is one of the worst I've seen in any RPG. Its very slow and your upgrades are so unrewarding. As much praise as people give the quest writing the actual quests are your generic blend of follow this line with your fisheye lens and maybe kill something at the end of it and lets fill the world with 100 treasure hunting quests that give you shitty gear. The level gates on the quests were also annoying because it forced you to do them in a specific order. Once you out level a quest its not even worth doing which is fucking dumb. The world is also waaaaaaaay too big for the amount of content it had. It was big for the sake of being big and the game would have been much better just ditching the entire island area because all the water stuff in that game sucked ass. I have more problems with it but its been so long I can't remember them all. Oh yea, fuck potions, what a stupid fucking system.

Its a good game and I enjoyed most of the stories but its definitely not as good as all the top tier rpgs like Skyrim and the first two Mass Effect games.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see where the OP is coming from. I actually think Witcher 2 had a better story than 3. The stuff with the baron was really good then the rest of the story goes downhill from there. It'still good, but nothing special. It's a very good game it just seems like people ignore or never mentions its flaws. I like ME2, ME3, and Skyrim way better. I don't consider The Witcher devs to be godly, which is something I've seen a lot of in the Cyberpunk feedback.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see where the OP is coming from. I actually think Witcher 2 had a better story than 3. The stuff with the baron was really good then the rest of the story goes downhill from there. It'still good, but nothing special. It's a very good game it just seems like people ignore or never mentions its flaws. I like ME2, ME3, and Skyrim way better. I don't consider The Witcher devs to be godly, which is something I've seen a lot of in the Cyberpunk feedback.

I think the problem is that TW3's emotional impact heavily relies on having firsthand experience with the previous games and books, and a lot of people are coming into the game without that.

I'd absolutely agree that TW2 is a better self-contained story, but in terms of the overarching narrative there's just no contest. TW3 is one of (if not the single) greatest RPGs of the last 20 years.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Efesell

@three0nefive: Previous games maybe but the books? I feel like the people who have read the books and played the games occupy a pretty small group and Wild Hunts story seems to have hit pretty well for most players.

I'm definitely one of the people who may tell you that Witcher 3 is my favorite RPGs if you ask me at just the right time and I've not so much as seen a page out of any of them.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Xdeser2

@mems1224 said:

I enjoyed the witcher 3 when it came out but yea, it has a ton of problems. the story is great for the most part but geralt is such a shitty and bland protagonist that he almost ruins it.

This is the one I'll jump in and say I greatly disagree with. Geralt is confident, witty, and has the air of a professional, he's one of my favorite parts about the game to be totally honest. He's everything good about Bayek from AC Origins but better.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By BrunoTheThird

@ntm: I'm a notorious post-comment editor myself, no apologies needed. This thread is basically about beloved games people have issues with, so we're right on topic I think. Edit: I turned the huge, ridiculous half-essay I wrote into a spoiler thing so it's not some big obtrusion in the thread, though it is directly related to the general topic.

I'm one of the Splinter Cell players who never knocks anybody out, so that wasn't my issue; I go through the games without ever being seen or heard if it's possible. It's been a couple years, so I would have to play TLoU again to remember the exact parts that I found poorly designed, but the one that sticks out is when you're separated from Ellie, maybe just after the sewers or in the last part of the sewers? There's a section with an upper and lower level to navigate, all in the dark. I think you have to turn on the generators and get the hell out, but if I recall right that triggers one of the larger zombies and a whole bunch of zombies and clickers. With the subjectively inferior shooting mechanics compared to other games (specifically weapon sway, which I was annoyed you had to 'upgrade' to get close to a modern standard and make hard mode somewhat less frustrating), in those cramped rooms with little space to aim effectively (intentional or not), and with the disparity between normal and hard difficulty in regards to A.I, I saw the game turn into a chaotic, trial-and-error mess a bit too often to be called incredible.

I remember enemies being drastically more aware in specific parts (uncommon as they were) to the point that I felt normal mode was a more realistic experience overall. For me, hard modes in serious games should ideally be more realistic, not just knob tweaks to artificially turn combat scenarios into purposefully cumbersome challenges. I never said it wasn't exhilarating, and it wasn't exactly notoriously difficult to overcome in spite of niggles, but at times it felt almost arcade-like. You may be about to say, "Oh, I had no problem whatsoever in that section, did it first try," but perhaps our upgrade choices at that point made it a wholly different affair. I've beaten some of the hardest games ever, but maybe I was simply not good at the game in this case, who knows. RE4 isn't dissimilar in that it's a brilliant survival horror game with what I consider inferior gun combat. The melee to me felt 'canned' at times to me -- again, not unlike RE4 thinking about it -- and got old quite fast, but I have no other memories of it. I don't remember anything incredible, certainly, other than the contextual contrast of who you're fighting and why, with a sort of desperate primal nature to it, which is pretty dope in the first few hours. That wore off for me.

Overall you say it may just not have been for me, but . . . I personally dislike that phrase. I don't believe in it, even. I like anything and everything if it plays competently and consistently, whatever the setting. As a fan of The Road, Children of Men, I Am Legend (not the movie), 28 Weeks Later, The Stand, and hundreds of other books and films, I was excited to the point of lightheadedness for this game, but it is a generic and lazy mish-mash of those stories with a less competent narrative and writing, ignoring the lovely characterization. I was literally guessing plot twists, dialogue, situations, etc., on multiple dozens of occasions. I feel like not having all of those references points would've made it seem wildly original and brilliant, probably, but it isn't. I think the main objective you've been struggling towards for 85% of the game is completely thrown out the window at one point (in the hospital). It's like oh, that thing we told you was true at the beginning -- the sole reason you're doing all of this depressing stuff -- it actually isn't. Some may view that as a progressive and brave twist. I found it an eye-rolling rug pull, personally.

I'm getting exhausted from laboriously retracing my thoughts and particular nitpicks at this point, this is hard work! I was merely saying that lots of brilliant games (like Witcher 3 for some) have these frustrating moments for people who haven't been wowed by the setting and other immersive elements, where we see negatives in a much harsher light. Still, perhaps I'll give it a third chance in a few years. I've changed my mind about many, many games.

Anyway, I find the mentioned issues with TW3's combat in particular valid and fair, even if I learned to enjoy it. Mixing magic with swordplay was so much fun and looked cool in my opinion, even if it felt rigid and somewhat graceless at times.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy that this thread that started as a knock against the game has turned into people talking about what they really enjoyed about the Witcher 3. It actually started some good discussion.

My 2 cents OP, I disagree with almost all of your points so allow me to come back with my own opinion:

I totally see how's this game so fantastic, as everybody claims.

It's not really, utterely a bad game at all, and look at the scores!? 9.5|10? One of top 5 best RPGs? Oh, it totally earns that score?

It's actually really exciting to me.

- Story great,

- battle better than average,

- searching the world is fantastic(it's always bandits camp, monster nest or a hidden treasure filled with numerous side quests that lead to intriguing one off stories),

- I don't complain about graphics, but it has its performance issues on ps4. No prob with that, but my brother got no patience and he clicks on everything really fast, and once he corrupted a save in the game when the system couldn't take it. There's a few millisecond input lag on everything...

- music is great, and I can recall the main theme 3 years after I first beat it.

It's just a great game. Wholeheartedly impressed.

rum_ham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@richardqx said:

FrodoBaggins: If you were born like 2002 and started to play 7 years later...

So let me get the order of events correct.

You start a thread where you say "No offense guys....[insert opinion which is valid, but you will know will be controversial]

There are two posts. One which lightheartedly says you are wrong. Another which agrees with you.

Then you post saying "Wow, everyone is coming at me"

Then when someone defends the game, you call them a child....but seriously "no offense guys".

Like...it's cool, you don't like the Witcher 3. That's fine. No offense, but in my opinion, it's my favourite game. I don't have to justify what I like about the story, the world building, the characters to defend my position. I'm not going to "come at you" for not liking the game. But man, don't create a thread which you know will raise some ire, pretend to not be trying to cause offense, and then be a dick about it. If you want to do that, go over to r/gaming.

OP is just fishing for gold on r/gamingcirclejerk. The series of events you describe smell faintly of troll...

No offense. Just my opinion.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bounced off The Witcher pretty quickly after launch. I understand my main complaints were addressed through patches down the line, but my biggest gripes were the sloppy movement controls and that absolutely God awful Witchy Sense that had me following boring breadcrumb trails with (Totalbiscuit mode: engaged) absolutely abysmal FoV.

I have considered going back to it again, but those super negative first impressions really soured me on the whole thing, and I have a significant backlog from years of Steam sales to work through.

Shame really. From what I've seen and heard there's some really interesting quests in there, I just can't bring myself to wade through a bunch of dotted lines to see them.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Honestly, I could probably argue that Final Fantasy XV is a better Witcher 3 in certain respects.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I could probably argue that Final Fantasy XV is a better Witcher 3 in certain respects.

The food looks better.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@three0nefive: I think the Witcher 2 made the world seem more interesting W3. The dwarves and elves almost being equivalent to Native Americans or some other minority was very interesting as well as the danger and intrigue of the villain plus Triss was more involved. W3's world doesn't really have a villain and it doesn't really dive deep into the mythology of the world from what I remember.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: What? The Witcher 3 has significantly more clear cut villains, as well as ultimately exploring and showcasing a larger variety of that worlds people.

violet_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

witcher 3 is pretty generic

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: I never understood people complaining that the combat wasn't responsive. The thing I loved about combat is that rolling was discouraged, instead I mostly dodged attacks.
And that was an enjoyable play-style to me, only because the combat felt responsive. If I couldn't quickly dodge out of my swings to escape attacks I would've raged real hard.
Instead I was left feeling like a bad-ass by constantly just barely dodging away from attacks and thus never fully breaking away from combat. When I did get hit it felt like I was at fault rather than the controls. I do agree with you on the horse being a pain at times.

It's kinda ironic though that most of your complaints about W3, are the exact reasons I dislike Skyrim which you hold in higher esteem.

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#72  Edited By Bonbonetti

I played some of Witcher 3 but never really got into it. The gameplay was enjoyable enough and visually the game looked great in my eyes, but I just didn't like the protagonist. It mainly boils down to that. I felt he was the same stererotypical Western grunt with no personality that we've seen in so many Western games. Nope, didn't like him. I prefer games were your character is either a blank canvas, leaving you free to imagine his/her nature , or someone with a personality that makes them stand out from other games. I also felt that the Fantasy set-up was too generic for my taste. I like RPGs that can offer a more unqiue and original game-world, to me 'being unique' has a higher value than 'doing orthodox things really well'. For example, I enjoyed games like the Technomancer a great deal more than what I played of the Witcher 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well, I'm offended.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Surprised this hasn’t been closed yet but it’s some of the least concealed bait I’ve seen in a while on these forums.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I *love* RPGs and I haven't even played the game for more than 30 minutes when it came out and gave it another similar try after they patched the combat system IIRC. The game didn't light up any kinda spark in me even though my trusted friends recommended it. The first Witcher didn't do it for me either and I skipped the sequel completely. Some day I'll give it a shot I'm sure (Dragon's Dogma also), but it might take a few years still, so I'm with you at least in hoping that I haven't missed a masterpiece :D

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The OP might not bring much to the thread, but i think there's some good talk happening.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MerxWorx01

@mems1224 said:

I enjoyed the witcher 3 when it came out but yea, it has a ton of problems. the story is great for the most part but geralt is such a shitty and bland protagonist that he almost ruins it. Playing as Ciri would have made for a much more entertaining game. The gameplay is mostly trash, the combat is not very responsive and you don't have much variety in how you can play. It has the worst horse in any video game ever. The progression is one of the worst I've seen in any RPG. Its very slow and your upgrades are so unrewarding. As much praise as people give the quest writing the actual quests are your generic blend of follow this line with your fisheye lens and maybe kill something at the end of it and lets fill the world with 100 treasure hunting quests that give you shitty gear. The level gates on the quests were also annoying because it forced you to do them in a specific order. Once you out level a quest its not even worth doing which is fucking dumb. The world is also waaaaaaaay too big for the amount of content it had. It was big for the sake of being big and the game would have been much better just ditching the entire island area because all the water stuff in that game sucked ass. I have more problems with it but its been so long I can't remember them all. Oh yea, fuck potions, what a stupid fucking system.

Its a good game and I enjoyed most of the stories but its definitely not as good as all the top tier rpgs like Skyrim and the first two Mass Effect games.

I'm sorry man but almost everything negative you said about Witcher 3 you could have easily been describing Skyrim. Calling the witcher's combat trash while Skyrim's combat is the same awful overly simple "one hand does one thing, the other hand does another thing" from oblivion is mind boggling.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m 31 and have played all the RPG classics over the years, pretty much anyway. I have to say that even though it was a slow start, Witcher 3 has to be one of the most genuine high budget RPGs made in the last, I don’t know, 15 years? I had zero expectations going in, had not played 1 or 2, and I’m not sure at what point but it hooked me bad and I have since put 270 hours into it, can’t say that about many other RPGs I’ve played, and I’m sure if I sat down and played it again right now I would have a good time.

I’m sorry if you didn’t like it and it’s not for you, but it doesn’t have to be either. It’s not as interactive as the Elder Scroll games, nor is its story line as good as Planescape Torment, but when you add it all up, the environment, the characters, the folk music, all the political intrigue. The game is just made with so much love and care and it really shines through.

I guess comments like this is why people hate witcher so much and want to be contrarian. Lol I get the itch too when people praise shit so highly and I don’t get it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: there is at least variety and mods in skyrim. The archery is pretty good on its own and you can add a bunch of new magic spells and skill trees. There is nothing gameplay wise that Witcher 3 does well. I also felt like skyrim had a much more interesting world to explore and interesting lore and good writing even if that wasn't always reflected in the big main quests. I never felt invested in TW3's world outside the big main quests and the lore was pretty boring.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aktivity: melee combat in most games is bad and I didn't find Tw3 to be an exception. There was pretty much no other way to play that game so that's why I didn't enjoy it. I just felt like the combat was sluggish and not very satisfying.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Add me to the camp that thinks Witcher 3 combat is great. I was able to dance around my enemies, partying and blocking when needed, casting signs when needed, use potions. All feeling fluid and satisfying. In 120 hours of playing the game and it's amazing expansions I never grew tired of combat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

You know that popular video game a lot of people loved? Well get this! I didn't much care for it. So how do you like those apples?

HeelMAGGLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HeelMAGGLE

Weird. It's almost like games are subjective or something.

Nah... The obvious answer is that your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for it. Duh.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go play the best game ever made. Mass Effect Andromeda.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played through it twice and consider it one of the best RPGs I've ever experienced in regards to characterization and storytelling. I think that despite how handcrafted the world feels and how much love the developers obviously have for the game, it's entirely too long. For a story about a father searching for his daughter, you spend a lot of time doing things that have little to do with finding her. It seems that apart from a handful of monster contracts you'd need to earn enough coin to survive, you wouldn't be playing Gwent, assisting with a royal assassination, looking for tools so an armorer can craft better gear, or any of the hand holding you have to go through with almost everyone in order to get information on your daughter's whereabouts.

Don't get me wrong, though. I loved the side quests and world building that comes out of all that stuff. But a 50 hour game that was tightly focused on finding Ciri would have been more impactful. All the other activities could have been structured for post-game witchering instead. Arguably you could play the game in such a way where that's the case, but it doesn't feel designed that way at all. Despite it being 150 hours longer than it needed to be, it's still one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not for everyone but I thought the writing in the side quests was really top notch. Interesting world with a solid cast of characters and some of the best dlc I've ever played. These things are subjective but you have to admit that it's doing some impressive stuff especially given its scale.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

yeah but like...Triss' voice is really sexy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would I get offended at your being wrong?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offense, you're wrong.

EDIT: It occurs to me how world shatteringly original my joke was... You're welcome.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By haneybd87

@richardqx: The only thing I agree with you on is the battle system, it’s just OK. As for the story I thought it was amazing and it connected with me on a deeply emotional level. Sure there is a certain section of the game in which the story sags but everything leading up to that and everything afterward is top notch. The DLCs also had amazingly well written stories that I connected with too.

Exploring the world is part of what makes the story great, there’s all these little detailed side stories all over the place. Sure there are a lot of bandit camps and monster nests but you don’t really have to do anything about them. Those aside there are so many parts of the world you discover that have/are involved in side quests and I don’t think I’ve played any other RPG in which I actually cared about the story in so many side quests.

Another part of what makes exploration so great is how great the game looks. Now I can’t speak to how the game looks on base consoles since I played on a high end PC and more recently XB1X so maybe it doesn’t look so amazing there, I really don’t know, but my guess is that the art design plays a big part and maybe we just disagree on aesthetics. The world felt so naturalistic and lived in. Don’t even get me started on the cinematography in the cutscenes. I’m always a sucker for great cinematography in movies/tv and this does it better than probably any video game has ever done, especially in the DLC packs.

As for the music I have several songs on my regular Spotify playlist and they will often get stuck in my head. Hands down one of the best soundtracks in any game.

I also want to add one other point that you didn’t bring up, Witcher senses. I thought this was such a cool concept, you’re basically a detective in this fantasy world. Like medieval Batman or something. It’s not a unique concept but it was executed so well in this setting and fits perfectly with Geralt’s character.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#92  Edited By nutter

I support OP’s freedom to post this disgusting, libelous, bile.

I loved just about everything about Witcher 2 and 3 (Witcher 1 was cool as hell too).

Also, I think there are three franchises where I’ve sat and listened to the soundtrack/score:

Silent Hill

Hotline Miami

Witcher

EDIT: And the unicorn scene...I remember them nailing a self-aware weirdness in that scene...

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok i'll tell you how important this game is. The Witcher 3 is the holly bible when it come's to world design it's just mind boggling from dev point's off view. Just watch Danny O'dwyers noclip video you will get it at some point .

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bit of a hostile way to start a thread.

The game didn't suck me in as much as I would have liked, but it's undeniably a great achievement. They created a cool world, I just didn't find the gameplay all that fun.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've played a game better than The Witcher 3, then I'd LOVE to hear about it.