Picking this back up after a while away from the game

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So I got about 15-20 hours worth of witching done back when the game first came out and was getting along quite comfortably, then put the game down because of other commitments at the time. I'm just installing about 17GB worth of patches as we speak and am looking at getting back into the game to finish it, but I'm wondering if I will just be able to pick things up again or have to start the game over. I know the guys on the Bombast have similar concerns, has anyone on here had trouble returning to this game after a hiatus?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I picked up and put down the game several times before I finished. I got the game at launch, and didn't finish it until last month. You should be fine to just continue. If you're confused, read the descriptions of your completed quests and the characters you've met. Both update as you play the game, and can be a great reminder of what has happened so far.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh man , to experience the Witcher 3 for the first time but with all the improvements and dlcs, that is something.

It depends , If you are still in White Orchard I think it is easier to start the game over, but if you left the town then don't do it. I think the big caveat is to adjusting to controls/systems and don't try to rush the game. This game does not lend itself very well for short 2 hour sessions, it requires proper mindset and time investment. Hope you have fun!

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The story itself I didn't find hard to get back into, as its not very complicated. Read the quest descriptions/character bios if you want, but you should be alright. There's a whole lot of game there, so replaying the first 15 hours isn't necessary. I'd say keep trucking, the individual quests and exploration are what's fun, and you have so much of that to do.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@neondinosaur: Don't start over. If you're 15 hrs into the game, then depending on your propensity for side quests you are still at the very beginning of the story. In fact I'd say the main story doesn't REALLY kick off until you get to Skellige, and thats a good 30 hours into the game if not more.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

You will be able to pick it back up. Spend some time just wandering around, maybe doing Witcher bounties or small side quests. Re-familiarising yourself with the combat systems is the trickiest part. I had a really difficult time when I got the DLC after spending some time away from the game.

The story is not too involved. Here's the story.

You're still looking for Ciri.

(Note: I'm not criticising the story, I love TW3 and I think while the overall story isn't mind blowing, I like the fact that Geralt isn't 'saving the world' like every other damn game. His drive to find Ciri resonated with me)

Enjoy - it's a great game.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By gutterkisser

I lost momentum a few months ago upon arriving at Skellige. Not the game's fault, but nevertheless I'm struggling to go back.

I'm not concerned about picking up the narrative; it's the rhythm/strategies of combat and my goals for levelling/gear that are distant memories. It took me a while to get a feel for that stuff in the first place.

At this stage it'll be something I return to in a quiet part of 2016.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PillClinton

@humanity said:

@neondinosaur: Don't start over. If you're 15 hrs into the game, then depending on your propensity for side quests you are still at the very beginning of the story. In fact I'd say the main story doesn't REALLY kick off until you get to Skellige, and thats a good 30 hours into the game if not more.

Just started playing a few weeks ago, 60 hours in, still haven't gone to Skellige yet. This game is long if you want it to be.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@pillclinton: Yah I was thinking if you kind of mainline it then all the stuff you do in order for the quest to start heading to Skellige can take around 30 hrs. I think you can actually go there earlier if you want, although it will probably be too high level to be worth the effort.