Will "The Witcher 3" be enjoyable as your first Witcher game?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I recall Jeff speaking on the Bombcast at some point to break the addiction of having to play all the games in a series. I played the Witcher several years back and really enjoyed it, but never finished it (and barely even remember it) and only touched the second game. I recently came into possession of the third game on Xbox One. I'm thinking of giving this idea a try and starting with the third game. Will I be entirely lost, or is it possible to enjoy and get the idea without playing the others?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I can't speak 100% to this (Played them all, though frankly hardly remembered 1) but I think you certainly can enjoy this game on its own. If you already own it you need to play it because it's the best game put out this year. It stands on its own and I think explains enough of itself. Even if you played the other games, there is enough that's new here that it isn't all call backs and everything.

It's one of the best games ever to me so I have to just say play it!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'd recommend playing The Witcher 2 first, as it's only 20 hours long if you're just playing through and not going for a hundred percent run or whatever. If you're not feeling up for that and just want to jump straight into 3, go for it. Like any good sequel, you'll miss some references and callbacks and recurring characters, but you won't spend half the game trying to figure out what's going on.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, don't worry about it. You might miss some references but the story makes perfect sense whether you played the other games or not.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Nah, one of the few story-driven series where you really don't have to play any of the previous to understand the current one.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't played the other games due to not having a decent enough pc.

The Witcher 3 became one my favourite games ever.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You shouldn't have any trouble jumping in, but I think you'll get a lot more out of this game if you play 2 first.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You'll miss a lot of "hey that's cool" moments, but then you'll miss some by not reading the books too so honestly just go for it dude.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm actually starting to get back into it after I put about 25 hours when the game first came out on the PC. Game looks so good. I never played the others and I am really enjoying it. There are some story lines where they reference things that happened in previous games I presume. It can get a little confusing but nothing that totally takes you out of the story. I am also playing it on the highest difficulty.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Ya, necro thread. It's pretty self contained even with all the references to the other games. Playing the other ones adds to your understanding a tiny bit, but it's not really required.