The Witcher 1 is Getting an Unreal 5 Remake

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The thread title speaks for itself: The proudly made-in-Poland, The Witcher 1, is getting remade with Unreal Engine 5 in collaboration with another Polish studio, Fool’s Theory, has as some veteran CDPR people on board who worked on the original game.

For those who only played 3 (which is probably most of us): The original Witcher game released as a PC (and Mac) exclusive back in 2007. This game does not play like The Witcher 3. Monster slaying in the first game is less about hitting the X, X, X and the Y, Y Y. It is more akin to a Eurojank version of Dance Dance Revolution with swords. But to speak as someone who actually played at least half of the first game, it's not as alienating as I'm humorously describing it as; I got used to the more rhythm and stance based combat, but the first game's stronger points are with the story, characters, and having your choices actually matter. So, speculatively speaking, we're getting a graphical overhaul, a gameplay overhaul to at least match The Witcher 3, bug fixes, maybe some retconing here and there, getting the more current voice cast back in the booth to update the audio quality, and I'll go as far to say that The Witcher 2 is getting similar treatment for the sake of console players finally having the entire trilogy on one generation of Xbox or PlayStation.

I got the announcement from Steam, but I'm sure that other sites are mirroring it.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I never got past the swamp level, which just seemed interminable. Maybe they'll make it better like the swamps in the Demon's Souls remake.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I am a fan of the Witcher 1 (I've played through it three times), but despite that I do hope that this is more in line with FF7 as a remake rather than a faithful 1:1 recreation. In my opinion, there is not a lot of the first Witcher that is worth preserving in a remake. The combat should be entirely overhauled, the quest design can be pretty janky, the dialogue can be pretty odd at times, but most importantly for me a lot of the plot and character beats should be reconsidered. The Witcher 1 is at odds with both the books and the future games in a lot of ways. At times it feels like a retelling of elements of the books (despite it supposedly taking place after them) and knowing that they did eventually tackle concepts like the Elder Blood and the White Frost in The Witcher 3 in a much better and more faithful way, the wonky inclusion of that stuff in the first Witcher stands out even more.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the story stuff in The Wither 1 is great and worth preserving, but I do think a Final Fantasy 7 Remake style rework in terms of both gameplay and story could do that game a lot of good.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

As someone who never played The Witcher 1, this is great news. I played and became of fan of the series after The Witcher 2.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ah they can incorporate the sex cards into Gwent.

dooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 1's combat system is really bad so it'll be nice to see it be revisited. I'm of the opinion that not everything needs a remake, but this would benefit from one if they do revise the control scheme so I'll be interested to see how it is.

Unless they release it in a broken state like they did with Cyberpunk, that is.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Necessary and I do hope CDPR have a firmer grip on the project than Cyberpunk. I've got the original to give an honest crack of, in the meantime.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's a game that could certainly use it!

At least from my memories of it. It's been quite a while since I attempted to play The Witcher 1 so maybe these days, after playing a decent number of CRPGs, I could return to it and really get into it. But I remember that combat being real bad and most everything else about it being kind of janky.

Also, I'm very curious to know if they're going to keep the part where you can collect cards of all the game's female characters in revealing poses. Honestly that was weird in 2007 and probably wouldn't fly in the early 2020's. Probably.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I actually loved that combat system, but it took me a loooong while to get used to it. The key was to use the hotkeys for combat style switching almost as often as LMB for attack (for example strong strike -> SWITCH! -> 2 x quick strike -> SWITCH -> spread the group with group style etc.). However, there's just no way a system like that would fly nowadays and overall I agree - it must be a complete remake.

Although I hope they get beck to harder archemy from W1, where the secondary effects of ingredients were really important and could create some really powerful synergies or hinder your efforts.

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they don't just put in the awful combat from 3. While the combat system had its problems as well, I really like how they were trying to make it feel like a dance with the rhythmic nature and having to switch stances and swords to adapt to the situation. It definitely needs another pass or two, but they could really have something special if they're able to perfect what they were going for.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a Witcher first game liker, I’m happy to see an update. That said, I feel like the expectation will be to make it like Witcher 3, which would not be a bad thing, but the scale of the story would likely disappoint those that just played the third game.

In 2008 or whatever, I had an underpowered PC that had those Two minute load times and I suffered through it and still liked it a lot, but don’t dismiss anyone that didn’t, because it had goddamn problems. All that said, I want this to be good and will check it out in ten years when it comes out. I think CDPR is maybe biting off more than it can chew but I only hope for good games, because when would I hope for anything else?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

As others have mentioned, the first game is two things: worth playing, and rough. I replayed it last year, having now read the first two novels in the series. I think these games are a fascinating success story because the popularity of the games has only increased as CDPR got bigger and more ambitious.

My impression of the first game is that CDPR's writers were unsure of themselves. That's not just a translation issue. Quests in the game are straight up rehashes of things in the books. One of the antagonists of the first game is a character whom Geralt kills in one of the books.

This is a great idea, from a business standpoint. The show resulted in more sales for W3. People are into well-made remakes. Although most people can certainly play W1 on their current PC, the game feeOLD. CDPR needs a win.

Don't fuck it up.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know how some people were super stoked for the Demon's Souls remake? That's me with this news!

I also got into the games and books because of the second game. I will play the heck out of a better looking and playing version of the original!

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...