Anyone else like me?

Ross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 11

So I have historically been awful at puzzle games, but seeing everything about this game made me interested. I bought it full well knowing that I would need to use a guide at some point. However, even I'm sad that I only got 97 puzzles in and am at a loss. Has anyone else bought this game knowing that they will need a guide?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i bought it knowing im terrible at puzzles but the excitement this site has for anything (and particularly brad as he kind of gels with my tastes) is always quite infections. i'm actually at about the same point and got stuck on one really infuriating one that seems so deceptively easy. still loving it though; i may move on and try something else then come back around to it. don't know about a guide, though; maybe if things get especially dire. but otoh a guide would mostly (i'm assuming) just consist of pictures with the pathways drawn on them, which i feel may cheapen the experience a bit for me.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I had the same thing. I got about 100 puzzles in on what seemed like the "main" path, then found the game completely stopped easing me in. However I found tha by just wandering around a bit I found a few more tutorial puzzles and so on. I even feel like I'm at a point where I can go back to some of the puzzles I was stuck on and make a little headway!

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Sorta 50-50. I'm really good at certain types of puzzles that involve lateral thinking, so I've been pretty good at picking up on the environmental clues so far as well as being able to come back after a while and see a puzzle giving me trouble in a new way.

That said, I'm terrible at anything involving spatial awareness. I still have nightmares of having to stand up and give proofs in geometry class. (In other words, fuck those Tetris puzzles)

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, im with you. i was reading an article, and in it jonathan blow was talking about puzzle games and how "intuitive" they can be. This game isnt like that. There are not "a-ha!" moments. It involves critical thinking. I swear it feels like im doing homework solving some of these puzzles. But ya know what? The satisfaction of solving them after HOURS of not knowing is unlike anything ive experienced in a puzzle game to date. Ive probable put 5 or 6 hours into it and im stuck on like 80 +1. Its a game that is most definitely going to take me a whiiile to beat, but im optimistic about it. And when i achieve victory, man, thats gonna be a good day.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mathj

@ripelivejam: i agree about the guide thing. i feel it would just cheapen the experience. In a normal game, a guide may provide helpful hints, but thats whats so great about the witness; purposely, there are none. if i used a guide i feel like it would be an empty shell of a game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Let's not start guide shaming other people. If you are at a point where you're just getting frustrated, then it's probably best to look at a guide.

Joemotycki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Joemotycki

@lawgamer: To be fair I think those tetris puzzles are wreaking havoc on all our brains, not just you.

Have completed the marsh? If you're only halfway you still have some major work ahead of you...

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like you.

...I only read the title.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I like you.

...I only read the title.

God damn it, my exact planned post!

Also yeah dude, I totally went in to this game knowing it was going to make me feel like an idiot.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I have no clue where to go right now. I need more tutorial like areas to help me figure stuff out. I keep finding awesome places but have no clue what some of the things really mean.