Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm not really into FPSes.

I'm not planning to play Titanfall 2.

I don't watch video game trailers.

I don't watch YouTube ads if I can at all avoid it.

But the "Bang Bang" trailer for Titanfall 2 came on YouTube before one of my toddler daughter's videos, which, bad targeting, Google, but... it grabbed us both right away. We watched the whole 1:43 playtime. Towards the end she even said "I like this video!" and "robots are my favorite animal!"

Maybe I'm a bad dad for letting a little kid watch such violence but we both agree: that trailer is something else.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray
Loading Video...

Video embedded for the extremely lazy/apathetic among you.

It's a hell of a trailer. If Origin wasn't dead in the water, I'd be playing the god damn crap out of this game right now. Your daughter also sounds adorable. Should probably watch Wall-E with her if you haven't done so already, she'd probably really love it.

Now that all that niceness and practicality is out of the way, we can get to the meat of my reply, which is as follows; "Pop pop!"

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

As both a fan of Nancy Sinatra and the movie that re-popularized that song--Kill Bill--I almost view this cover as a form of sacrilege. I feel that the lyrical changes are especially awful.

But I also kind of hope that I'm in the minority, because the game has been loads of fun so far. I want that commercial to sell copies, and I want this game to do well.

And of course, to each their own.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I'm really not a fan of the lyrical rework. Game is great though.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That's a really well made trailer although I'm not sure how much it has to do with the actual gameplay.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People seem to be taking that cover way more seriously than it takes itself.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I admit that I was disappointed that "Bang Bang" wasn't referring to the Jessie J, Ariana Grande, and Nicki Minaj banger. Still an effective trailer, even if I agree with a lot of the sentiments here that the lyrical rework was misguided.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

That's a really well made trailer although I'm not sure how much it has to do with the actual gameplay.

I was actually somewhat looking forwards to a level taking place in a forest. Not that it could've been that bombastic (at least without turning into a QTE fest), but it still could've been a great area to shoot and jump around in.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@glots said:
@humanity said:

I was actually somewhat looking forwards to a level taking place in a forest. Not that it could've been that bombastic (at least without turning into a QTE fest), but it still could've been a great area to shoot and jump around in.

There was a DLC map in the first game that took place in a forest which was pretty great, hopefully there's something similar in Titanfall 2. (i'm not sure if i've played all the maps yet)

As for the trailer I liked it but I only recognize the song from Kill Bill so changing a few lyrics, while dumb, didnt kill it for me. Especially since Titanfall is kind of a dumb thing. (in a good way)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasnash: Anecdotally people seem to hate all covers. Looking back throughout the years popular song covers are like kryptonite for game trailers. I recall people disliking that trailer for inFamous Second Son which featured an absolute OK Nirvana cover, and there was some other situation more recent that I can't quite recall but I do remember people being outraged about it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By TheHT

"Bang bang their killcounts rise."

I hate everything.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@thomasnash: Anecdotally people seem to hate all covers. Looking back throughout the years popular song covers are like kryptonite for game trailers. I recall people disliking that trailer for inFamous Second Son which featured an absolute OK Nirvana cover, and there was some other situation more recent that I can't quite recall but I do remember people being outraged about it.

I think some people will fall in love with the original, and when they hear a different version it just sounds off to them.

I usually don't even like live versions of most songs because it just sounds too off for me; there's a few specific bands that I think sound pitch perfect live which is quite crazy when you look at some of the songs they perform.

There's the few exceptions to the rule, like Johnny Cash with Hurt, that I think 99% of everyone will agree the cover is better than the original (to the point there's people that didn't even know it was a cover)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

There was some other situation more recent that I can't quite recall but I do remember people being outraged about it.

Infinite Warfare with it's Bowie cover comes to mind.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lylebot said:

But the "Bang Bang" trailer for Titanfall 2 came on YouTube before one of my toddler daughter's videos, which, bad targeting, Google, but... it grabbed us both right away. We watched the whole 1:43 playtime. Towards the end she even said "I like this video!" and "robots are my favorite animal!"

b'aw, melts my cold dark dead heart.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shindig

Now she'll want one for Christmas. Also, please stop putting covers as backing music for your trailers, please.

Unless the alternative is Infinite Warfare's 'Welcome to the Jungle' nightmare.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: oh yah that's the one - I heard the term "disrespectful" thrown around and promptly rolled my eyes.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By thomasnash

@humanity: Yeah it's one of those weird things - although you can unnpick it a little I think. There's the one thing which is people who hate any cover version or remake or something they love and somehow contrive to feel outraged about it, which always baffles me.

I mean, there are contexts when I do find cover versions offensive to my sense of good taste, if not anything important. Twee, ellie goulding esque covers of songs on adverts are one, "folk" covers of hip hop songs is another. In both cases it's just the falseness of it that bothers me, not the fact that it is daring to change something.

I've similarly always rolled my eyes at like, the Gears of War and Assassin't Creed trailers, because they always felt grandiose and portentous in a way that the actual games never justified.

By contrast, in this instance, I feel like they are just being silly, and in some way I can get behind that because at least it's somewhat authentic - even if it is crap.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard Jeff say a couple of times that you play as a robot in Titanfall 2, is that correct? I thought pilots were humans.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bojackhorseman: You can pick robot pilots for your mp character/pilot. Hence robot in a robot. :-)