Titanfall 2 - Impressions

• 90 results
glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reviews began coming out yesterday and they seem to be overall positive! Thursday/Friday is too far away...

Campaign seems to have some flaws, but in general it's receiving praise. That's plenty enough for me to jump aboard. Might even dig into that multiplayer.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait. I usually couldn't care less for multiplayer of any kind but the first Titanfall really hooked me and the campaign sounds like exactly what I wanted the first time around. I'm really excited for Friday!

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@glots:

Why oh WHY do advertisers insist on using terrible covers of good songs to push their games?* This has become a recent and unfortunate trend in game advertising. Compare that to using an original version of an awesome and timeless rock song, and there's no contest which is better:

Loading Video...

It took a fan to make something that great, and it's perfect. It should be the official advertisement, not the trailers that Activsion has released lately.

[edit] And no offense to anyone who does like the music in the trailer, but if I dislike a cover version of a song that I normally do like, it really rubs me the wrong way.

@glots said:

Campaign seems to have some flaws, but in general it's receiving praise. That's plenty enough for me to jump aboard. Might even dig into that multiplayer.

If you do decide to play multiplayer on PS4, you should consider joining the community that I setup. I'm definitely looking forward to playing this in a party. The teamwork of grabbing batteries for each other, and fighting together as a group of two or three titans should add a lot to the gameplay.

I'm very happy to see that this is getting good reviews. The recent COD beta was a letdown, and I think Respawn deserve to have a lot of success with this game.

* Yes, I'm aware that the "original" in question is a cover as well. But this trailer almost certainly wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Nancy Sinatra's version of Bang Bang, which was used in the opening credits of the movie Kill Bill. Her version is a cover, though. The original was actually performed by Cher.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Still waiting to hear from any reviewers I value but good to see so far.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I am really excited for this. I am hoping that the single player is fun as well.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BoOzak
@otakugamer said:

I'm having a real hard time thinking about whether or not to get this game. The beta was unplayable for me but I loved the first Titanfall game. It's a hard sell when all these other shooter games are coming out too.

Yeah I was on the fence too after the beta undid some of the things I loved about the first game but it's still more interesting to me than the other shooters coming out this fall.

One of the things i'm curious about which none of the reviews (to my knowledge) have mentioned is how this game handles micro transactions. As it's going the route of free maps for all I assume it's going to have them. I'm guessing they will pull a Deus Ex and not unload that stuff until launch which is why some of the press arent writing their reviews just yet.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would like to hear about the pc version, specifically how it plays with a controller in multiplayer(first game was totally competitive), how the performance and ram situation is, if they did anything to make the maps better, and if they added more bots and attrition.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I booted up the first game on a whim last night. I forgot how amazing the movement is in that game. Once I switched to bumper jumper and got used to the swivel speed (probably even godlier on an elite controller or M&K obviously) the game turned into Mirror's Edge with hitscan weapons for me. Oh yeah and the Titans are pretty cool too I suppose.

Something something best time to play video games... why am I considering buying another multiplayer shooter when I'm already addicted to Gears 4 and I just bought BF1.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some giant mechs but I hate competitive multiplayer. I suppose if the single-player campaign is halfway decent (i.e. fun despite a stupid/uninteresting story) then I might try to catch it on a Black Friday sale.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love me some giant robos, but I'm super conflicted about getting this on PC. Didn't the PC community for the first game disappear in a couple months? And I can't imagine coming out at the same time as BF1 AND CoD is really going to help the longevity of the game. Not to mention it costs $90 Canadian with tax.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dharmabum: I honestly find it difficult to buy games on PS4 because of the elite controller. I can't wait to use it with Titanfall 2.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love me some giant robots. Played the first game for a few hundred hours until I got bored, hopefully this one can last the same amount. Anything past that is a bonus for me. Also, It seems from reviews that the team took a lot of advice on board after the tech test and made appropriate adjustments.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

I was obsessed with the first one during the beta, and when it released I put just as much time with the final product. Everything about the way it played made it easily one of my favortire multiplayer games to that date. Although, because Origin fucked me over, and my internet was not great back then, I couldn't do the neccessary redownload (I assume would have fixed my problems) of like 30 gigs to play it anymore. Basically I stopped playing for a while and then when I decided to return, it wanted me to update the game. I did and it would never launch again after that.

So, with that said I'm super excited for its sequel. BUT, I know I've heard some complaints about the gameplay, so I'm gonna wait until I see some more coverage until I decide what to do.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ripelivejam

i want it but i can't

i feel kind of bad for the reception the beta got. they can either change things and a lot of people hate it, or keep the same game people love but don't evolve and it once again fades into obscurity. lose-lose.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It is a shame it is releasing between COD: Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 (and in the same month as Gears 4 if on Xbox One / PC). It is easily my favorite shooter among that company.

I will definitely be playing it on Friday. I hope it finds it audience.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Blackout62
mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious about the map design. The maps in the tech test were horrible and I hated bounty mode so it didn't leave a good first impression as someone who loved TF1. I'm also not a fan of the changes they've made to titans that didn't need changing like removing shields and the dumb battery system. I'm still on the fence

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18% off on gmg. hnnnnggghhhhh

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd like to try the full game but after my dismal time with the first weekend of the Tech Test I decided I'd go all in on Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 instead. Pretty bummed how this game went from a must-buy and most anticipated game of the fall to not even being on my radar anymore.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18% off on gmg. hnnnnggghhhhh

Your legendary will power will hold I'm sure.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@jjbsterling said:

I'd like to try the full game but after my dismal time with the first weekend of the Tech Test I decided I'd go all in on Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 instead. Pretty bummed how this game went from a must-buy and most anticipated game of the fall to not even being on my radar anymore.

Even the second week of the tech test was better than the first, and the developers have made more changes to the movement since then. Attrition is back as well.

Loading Video...

Looks like a lot of fun to me. Angel City is also coming back as a free download in December. Not that it being a free download is all that special, because all new Titanfall 2 maps, modes and weapons will be free. Hopefully you do get a chance to try the full version, and hopefully you do end up enjoying it. I guess time will tell.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@spaceinsomniac: Yea those PC events look a lot better than the test weekend footage. More Titans, fast movement (makes sense if you invite people who know what they're doing, like the player in the video), cool new stuff all alround (oh I'm gonna enjoy those grenadier weapons!).

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of the few who actually really enjoyed the tech test. I'm still on the fence but I'm pretty sure I want to pick it up. But I still never got into the Destiny expansion yet and have already of other games I want to get through first.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By JJBSterling

@spaceinsomniac: I didn't know that. After my frustration with the first weekend I just deleted it.

After reading Jeff's review I'm sort of second guessing myself, I suppose. I've disagreed with Jeff on the past few Call of Duty games but generally his views on FPS games are closer to mine than most other games journalists.

I love the first Titanfall but I also enjoyed myself with both the Infinite Warfare and Battlefield 1 betas. With how expensive games are in Canada right now I don't know if I should really be buying a third shooter to play this fall. It is truly is the best time to be playing video games.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really been enjoying my time with BF1 but a five star review of Titanfall from Jeff translates into a day one purchase regardless of how interested I am in the game. While I don't always agree with his tastes (Red Dead I'm looking at you) I absolutely respect them along with his experience, happy to pick this up if for nothing other than to see where he's coming from.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though jeff gave it a 5 atar review his critique seemed to indicate not much changed from the beta. Map designs focusing more on long range, which I assume means most maps are bad like the beta and lack of bots in anything but attrition. Maybe attrition would save it since they left that out the beta though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArtisanBreads
@oursin_360 said:

Even though jeff gave it a 5 atar review his critique seemed to indicate not much changed from the beta.

Definitely need to know how much Jeff just cares about "feel". It's virtually everything to him for shooters. That's what this game has, plus the movement jetpack type stuff he is really into. I value Jeff's opinion on those topics but I definitely need to see a lot more because I have the same concerns with the game overall.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Grimluck343

Definitely need to know how much Jeff just cares about "feel".

See also: Jeff's thoughts on Destiny at launch.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OurSin_360

I think titanfall 2 definitely felt better than battlefield and cod, my issue was the level design where parkour felt useless or pointless. I think the slide felt real good and was the only jarring thing with going back to the first game. Stringing together wall runs into a zipline in the first game is still unmatched though.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a bit over an hour of the story, since my PS4 copy arrived day early. Good fun so far, those guns got a good kick to them.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max player count? Bigger maps?

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I am still unsure about this game. I'm currently watching the livestream to get a better look at the game, even though there are already so many leading/scripted questions. I do care about how a game "feels", but I'm also concerned that it's too similar to the original game. I played the original and thought it was an average shooter with mechs and wallrunning in it. I thought the gun selection was poor, the modes were sparse and familiar, there was no singleplayer, and the progression was boring.

I saw the Jeff gave the original game a 4/5. That seems way too high to me, so seeing that he gave this one a 5/5 is more concerning. I guess I just much prefer when games are more grounded than when everyone is wallrunning and double jumping around. I think Black Ops 3 was way better than the original Titanfall and Advanced Warfare. I guess when it comes down to it, I prefer good gun-to-gun combat than movement abilities.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DharmaBum

Several moments in the campaign have evoked the likes of Mirror's Edge and Vanquish for me, which is a good thing. I'm loving how fluid the movement is, especially the slide.

Can't wait to dive into multiplayer this weekend. I'm digging the sleek lobby menu design and how it shows active players in your Network.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@dharmabum said:

Several moments in the campaign have evoked the likes of Mirror's Edge and Vanquish for me, which is a good thing. I'm loving how fluid the movement is, especially the slide.

Can't wait to dive into multiplayer this weekend. I'm digging the sleek lobby menu design and how it shows active players in your Network.

IMO, if you're not playing the game with a control setup that allows you to jump and slide without taking your thumbs off the sicks, you're doing it wrong. On the PS4 controller, here's what I used for the beta:

Triggers = aim and shoot

L1 and R1 = jump and ability

L3 and R3 = run and slide

X = grenade

Circle = melee

With this setup, melee was the hardest to reach, shock grenades were just a slip of the thumb away, and everything else was accessible at all times. I could jump, grapple, slide and shoot without ever taking my thumbs away from the control sticks.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Played through 2-3 missions of the single player campaign. I think I ran into a weird bug when I wasn't able to sprint during the acid level (restarting didn't help, nor did changing the autorun option). Is this a bug, or is this deliberate?

Okay then, multiplayer. What the fuck is up with that mountain map where you immediately spawn into the enemy in the beginning of the match? It's the map without a drop ship opening. It's....not a good map. Granted, I did really well on that map (got like 14-1 KD vs. Pilots using an LMG and staying back). But it's not well designed at all. Also I don't like how matchmaking and classes are set up. Usually (as in Tf1) you pick a loadout and titan class before the game starts, but there's no lobby and you aren't automatically shown your loadouts when the game starts. It just feels finicky. Not a big fan of the DoF when ADS either. It doesn't look good and it doesn't help (granted I didn't look if you could turn it off).

So...yeah....I dunno. I played about an hour and it's a shooter?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: I disagree. Blops 3 and AW felt so clunky and slow compared to the original Titanfall. They felt like cheap imitations

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DharmaBum

@spaceinsomniac: Oh don't worry, first thing I did was switch to bumper jumper haha. I'm used to "clawing" my controller when needed so I'm going to leave slide on the B button for now until it becomes apparent that my aim is crap while sliding (or until I get an Elite). Being able to sprint out of the slide has felt really good so far (instead of pressing B to un-toggle crouch).

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can insta gib other players and whole groups of grunts with one EPG shot. 10/10

IGN
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@shivermetimbers: hey at least it's better than playing it for an hour and it turning out to secretly be a MOBA!

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is really fun. I was planning on getting into the multiplayer immediately after purchase but the single player has been surprisingly great. It fucking movesssss, maybe not Doom quick but it's quick. And the platforming feels good too. Playing on hard you only take a couple shots but the enemies aren't spongey so it doesn't feel unfair. It introduces you to every Titan and they introduce some cool mechanics along the way. If anyone's on the fence I'd say go for it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so are the pc numbers of people playing still painfully low? havent had much chance to play today.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#44  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

I've played a bunch of campaign and I can't believe how good it is. I was unsure how a campaign could take advantage of Titanfall's mechanics, but they do it really well. Being able to wall run and slide around while shooting the AI is really fun. Once I'm done with normal, I'm going to go back on the hardest difficulty to see if it changes anything. It's an incredibly unique FPS campaign, which is probably why I'm enjoying it so much.

Multiplayer is really solid. I'm still getting used to the new titans, powers and maps. I've played so much of the original that the small changes they've made make a huge difference. So far so good. It's a bummer that the sales are going to be down because this game is so good.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mems1224

The gameplay is so fucking good but there are so many stupid design decisions.

The battery/rodeo system sucks

No more hackable turrets and wildlife on maps sucks

No more hacking specters sucks

AI seems scaled back and attrition doesn't feel like you're being dropped into a battle

Burn cards were replaced by shitty Amped powers

No awesome multilingual titans

No Frontier Defense

Why did they ruin hard point?

I don't like playing as a dumb looking robot

Grappling hook should be available on all classes

Why can't I carry a pistol and Titan weapon?

I like titans being unique characters but they're too restricted in how you can customize them

Maps are OK, nothing memorable like the first game.that one map where you start on the ground is fucking terrible though

The third person animations are trash and whoever thought that was a good decision should no longer be allowed to make games

The game is such a blast to play but Respawn made so many mind numbingly stupid design decisions.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OurSin_360

So any people who liked the first game but had issue with the beta have any insight? Are the maps more fun than the beta? Is attrition still the only mode worth playing? Did they add more bots or something to make the game feel less empty? Do titans still die before you get in it? Also is the gamepad still viable on the pc like the first game?

drainbamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By drainbamage

The first game had strongly positive impressions of the movement and combat in multiplayer. Most criticisms about the first game were about the lack of a campaign, low player counts, and the lack of enough customization to keep the multiplayer fresh as you leveled up. So looking at how Respawn chose to address of those criticisms:

They addressed one concern by adding in a campaign, seems like a good call, its fun so far. Looking forward to getting to some of the crazy stuff Jeff and other reviewers have mentioned.

As far as player counts go most modes are still 6v6 if they have pilots and titans in them, but they removed the AI opponents from all but 2 of the modes. This leaves maps in those modes feeling incredibly empty. Like, "oh man it sucks this cool PC only shooter doesn't have enough of a player base to fill a server" empty. I cant for the life of me imagine how they came to this decision. The AI opponents always felt like a stop gap to give players something to shoot when they weren't running into other humans frequently enough, but they were better than nothing.

Finally, customization. I haven't counted but there certainly seem to be a handful more weapons in the sequel. But other customization actually feels more limited than the original. You can slap a lot more paint schemes on your Titan, but other than that it's a massive step back in this department. You're stuck with 6 choices of titans, they choose the combination of size of the Titan, its primary weapon, secondary weapon, utility ability, etc etc. If you find a Titan that fits your play style you may be fine on this front (sounds like Jeff did), but I haven't found one that's anything like any of the Titan loadouts I created and enjoyed in the first game. I loved that the first game let you make your own decisions. If you picked a light Titan you weren't locked into a play style. You could make a light "sniper" type of titan that runs around the outer edges of the battle flanking people, or you could slap short range weapons on it if you were confident you could get in, hit your enemy hard, and use your mobility to escape. Being locked into 6 defaults just feels shitty. Imagine having to play any Call of Duty with one of the handful of preset weapon load outs. Most people I know are counting down the minutes in each of those games until level 4 or whenever custom loadouts are unlocked. Totally bizarre design choice by Respawn imo, but it at least feels fixable by adding custom loadouts back in after a certain level.

They also made some changes to the much praised combat that feel like "change for the sake of change". The removal of Titan shields feels like it really messed up the balance. I can understand why Jeff likes it, he said he used Titans pretty disposably in the first game and now you don't have much choice. I much prefer the recharging shield allowing for longer battles and attempted retreats, in my view the battery system should have been a separate mode to change things up. Also, while the mobility is still great, the maps don't feel like they exploit them nearly as well as the original. In the first I felt like I constantly stumbled into opportunities to chain moves together because of how well designed the levels were. I've been actively looking for cool areas to use the mobility in TF2 and have come up pretty empty so far. Oh, and the change from awesome 1st person animations of you getting grabbed by your titan and shoved inside to less awesome 3rd person animations just makes me sad. So yeah as I write it all out, it's a surprising disappointment for me personally. Hope they make changes.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mems1224

So any people who liked the first game but had issue with the beta have any insight? Are the maps more fun than the beta? Is attrition still the only mode worth playing? Did they add more bots or something to make the game feel less empty? Do titans still die before you get in it? Also is the gamepad still viable on the pc like the first game?

The maps are mostly better but none of the maps in TF2 are even close to being as good or memorable as the ones in TF1. Crash Site in particular is one of the worst multiplayer maps I've ever played. Attrition is still great but it definitely doesn't feel as "alive" as the first game. Its still a really fun and addicting game

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those final chapters sure were something. Jeff's mention of 'feeling like a badass' luckily wasn't an understatement, that certain bit was awesome!

Was very satisfied with the campaign, even if I wouldn't have minded a few more chapters in more natural locations, meeting some more of the alien wildlife and whatnot. Bit of a shame that your own character was, if not terrible, just very bland.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Tennmuerti

Just got it on PC.

First impressions - holy friggin FILMGRAIN batman!

uuuugh