Do you like the Smart Pistol

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Poll Do you like the Smart Pistol (169 votes)

Yes 51%
No 49%

Just curious what people think about the Smart Pistol in the game. I'm personally not a big fan of it as I think it requires very little skill to be good with. Yes it takes 3 locks to kill a pilot but the lock on time seems relatively fast for how big the reticule is.

• 
crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

to be honest, it's not exactly over powered. It's a reactionary weapon but still needs the three hits to activate the shot. I've found myself shooting from the hip with the other weapons, I rarely went ironsights as much as I normally would in other games.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Havn't used it much or seen many other people use it. The assault rifle has suited me fine.

ComradePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ComradePenguin

To get a kill with it against a pilot you need to see them long before they see you. It also has a fairly limited range which helps reduce how effective it is. I am enjoying it as I can't aim at a barn door and it lets me be somewhat helpful to my team but I imagine anyone with even okay aim would probably be better off with the rifle.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

This poll lacks the nuance of whether you don't like it conceptually or whether you don't like using it. I find I don't have enough patience for it to line up a shot before prematurely blowing my wad over and over again. I don't think it's overpowered. I've just been sticking to my shotgun which is really good in Hardpoint Domination.

lclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By lclay

@comradepenguin: pretty much how i feel about it, my aim is shit but with the smart pistol i can run around cloaking trying to get the drop on people. It's definitely balanced out in that if anyone sees you before you can get a good lock you're basically dead. Also it's super useful for grunts.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not as a primary weapon.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zirilius

This poll lacks the nuance of whether you don't like it conceptually or whether you don't like using it. I find I don't have enough patience for it to line up a shot before prematurely blowing my wad over and over again. I don't think it's overpowered. I've just been sticking to my shotgun which is really good in Hardpoint Domination.

Its a pretty simple question as you either like the gun or you don't.I'm just curious on if people like it in general and harbor no ill will towards people that use it. The gun serves a purpose and is extremely useful when traversing. I personally use the SMG to pretty great affect.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Seems like the Grunt slayer, take it or leave it.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By 49th

It's the stupidest shit ever. How anyone can think an auto-aim weapon is a good idea in a competitive shooter is a terrible designer.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd much rather use a rifle as a primary than a pistol, so no, not really.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By TheMasterDS

@zirilius said:

@themasterds said:

Its a pretty simple question as you either like the gun or you don't.I'm just curious on if people like it in general and harbor no ill will towards people that use it. The gun serves a purpose and is extremely useful when traversing. I personally use the SMG to pretty great affect.

Some people think it has a place, other people are disgusted by it, some don't prefer it to other weapons, some use it as their primaries. Not all nos are for the same reason. I don't like using the gun for non philosophic reasons but I think it has its place. My opinion does not fit cleanly into yes or no really.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@49th said:

It's the stupidest shit ever. How anyone can think an auto-aim weapon is a good idea in a competitive shooter is a terrible designer.

I disagree. You can balance out weapons of that nature just fine. You just need to have enough cons to balance out the pros. I haven't played Titanfall myself but by the sound of it it seems more like an ambush weapon than anything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@49th said:

Because

@fredchuckdave said:

Seems like the Grunt slayer, take it or leave it.

this. It only takes a few seconds to lock on three times but in a game this busy a lot can happen in that few seconds.

I'd still rather use a rifle.

EDIT: Hmmm... after playing a few more matches where, more often than not, I was getting killed by the smart pistol, I might change my mind.

Or maybe I just need to find a way to counter it.

Anyway, killing grunts is so easy that you don't really need it.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jsnyder82

All it is is a way to rack up the easy grunt points. I don't see anything wrong with it. To call it "the stupidest shit ever" is ridiculous. It has a clear purpose.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By jiggajoe14

I've only been playing with the assault rife. Locking on with the human players just doesn't jive with my itchy trigga finga yo.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Andorski

Smart Pistol with the burn card that amps up is damage is nasty. Only then do I feel like that weapon is a bit OP.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're a smart pistol.

I didn't get in the beta :(

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CreepingDeath0

I think I would hate it a lot less if there was perhaps some kind of warning that someone is locking on to you with it.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems pointless, but it doesn't unbalance the game at all. I've only died from one a couple of times and that's because they came from behind while I was usually hurt from another fight.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it. It makes short work of grunts, but it still requires some skill when killing pilots. It's a lot more chess game because you have limited ammo and it takes at least 3 shots to down a pilot - if that pilot has a carbine or an SMG, you're pretty much done no matter what you do, so you have to pick your targets carefully and conserve what ammo you have in each magazine. If you shoot too much and then go up against someone who requires more than one shot, or go up against multiple enemies you ass is done pretty fast. It's not like a carbine or SMG where you can just aim and hold the trigger down "spray and pray" style.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Wait, so do I just go and get it on Origin (I don't have an Xbox One)?

Because on the website it says they filled up the applications or whatever. I suppose that only applied when it was closed and you needed codes?

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By noizy

In my first few matches I was getting killed by smart pistolers all the time. I started moving and barely ever got killed from a smart pistol. I tried using it, and I could fare better with a carbine or SMG.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you guys feel about the different anti-titan weapons?

Jeff swears by the lock-on rocket launcher for its damage (and his secret real reason: it's the closest thing in this game to shooting down UAVs, Jeff's favourite part of CoD), while what's-his-face from Rock, Paper, Shotgun said he liked the armour-piercing rounds gun better because it doesn't inform the titan pilot that someone has lock-on on them, so you're free to just fire upon the titan endlessly until the pilot catches on that a tiny man must be shooting them from a window nearby.

Thoughts?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kishinfoulux

Jeff swears by the lock-on rocket launcher for its damage (and his secret real reason: it's the closest thing in this game to shooting down UAVs, Jeff's favourite part of CoD), while what's-his-face from Rock, Paper, Shotgun said he liked the armour-piercing rounds gun better because it doesn't inform the titan pilot that someone has lock-on on them, so you're free to just fire upon the titan endlessly until the pilot catches on that a tiny man must be shooting them from a window nearby.

Thoughts?

I still prefer the Rockets just because usually a Titan is engaging in battle and if he turns his attention to me my teammate is pummeling him while he's distracted.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. And it seems pretty balanced for an auto lock weapon. You pretty much have to get the drop on a pilot to get a kill with it like that. The majority of the pilot kills I've gotten with it I didn't even bother trying to get a lock. Iron sights, then straight up dumpin. It fires pretty fast and you can get kills that way.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's a fun weapon to use and it kills the grunts very easily. I like that it's different. People complain about these games being all the same but when a weapon comes along that is way different than anything else in the genre people will still complain.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it a lot

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deathstriker

Thoughts?

Both of them get the job done. I like the rifle better than the rocket simply because it's faster. I don't like standing still or walking slow for a lock-on in such a fast game. One of my burn cards was magnetic mines and those killed Titans the quickest. They might've been amped up due to it being a burn card, since they worked crazy fast.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@deathstriker said:

@bisonhero said:

Thoughts?

Both of them get the job done. I like the rifle better than the rocket simply because it's faster. I don't like standing still or walking slow for a lock-on in such a fast game. One of my burn cards was magnetic mines and those killed Titans the quickest. They might've been amped up due to it being a burn card, since they worked crazy fast.

Are all the "burn card weapons" amped up versions of existing stuff that you can also equip normally? Are there any unique weapons that are only accessible through burn cards?

I'm assuming the former, so it's letting people access a few weapons that technically aren't unlockable normally in the beta. Sort of similar to that burn card that lets you spawn in the strider titan even though you can't unlock that titan in the beta.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't enjoy it. I'm not saying I think it's unbalanced. I think it's just fine from what I've seen so far. If you are able to sneak up on a dude you can get a kill with it, but if you are caught out in the open you're more than likely dead. If anything it seems to be super efficient at mowing down AI so you can get a fast titanfall.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it, a lot. It's my default weapon by this point. Like someone said, it's different and forces a different mechanic on you than pointing and clicking people. Now you're pointing so you can point at many people at once! Yesterday I killed two pilots and a grunt with a single shot which was awesome. I also like how you can pretty much just shoot it without iron sighting and the bullets go straight to the center of the reticle.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Only weapon I really use. Obviously it is pretty easy to get the drop on pilots with it but I have also gotten pretty good in straight up firefights with it. Most people still stick to the floor when they see me trying to aim at me. That lets me really quickly close distance on them and start doing crazy acrobatics all over while still painting them with the massive reticule. In really close quarters just straight dumping with it works well a lot of the time aswell. Only time it doesn't really work that well is when I'm caught out in the open with nothing to wallrun on and I'm too far away to jump over the enemy. And obviously it works really well against AI

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Wait, so do I just go and get it on Origin (I don't have an Xbox One)?

Because on the website it says they filled up the applications or whatever. I suppose that only applied when it was closed and you needed codes?

If you applied then it should have showed up in your Origin library by now.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By crithon

I found that melee really best counters the smart gun. Players tend to back away waiting for that lock on to fire even one but then they are fighting the camera and where you are. Reminds me a lot of Quake 3 when people come in too close to you and are super fast, the smart gun is terrible at this.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Lock-on warfare is the worst thing to happen to any competitive shooter. Dumbfire for life! Getting killed by the Smart Pistol feels worse than anything else. So very cheap. I dislike it very much.

P.S. You can lock-on out of stealth. While stealth isn't all that effective, it's effictive enough to be a real bitch in conjunction with the Smart Pistol.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Considering it is a lock on weapon, I've found it to be fairly balanced but effective. It is a grunt killer to be sure though. I've found it much easier to run around, pop off a few bullets and keep going. When it cones to pilots though,you're never going to win one on one if they have a machine gun. It has a reletively small clip and the lock on takes a second longer than you'd like in a face off. It's a much better weapon for being above or behind someone. It's a very situational weapon more than anything else. You're not going to even bother using it when you're riding on the back of an enemy titan to take it down for example.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was able to kill dudes faster with the carbine, the smart pistol just slowed me down because I had to wait an extra second to get a lock on, when if I had the carbine I could have already been shooting them. Its a very cool weapon, it just doesn't fit my play style.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll use it in Attrition because it just destroys creeps

Overall an assault rifle or shotgun are more deadly to Pilots. Too slow for a 3 second lock for me.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hayt
ragintaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it a lot. My preferred play style is to be really mobile and rack up kills with the Auto Pistol until I can get a Titan. It also forces me to be really tactical about my positioning, since I'm really vulnerable to other Pilots head-on or at a distance. I'm glad it has those trade-offs, because otherwise it would feel too cheap/easy. Ultimately, an assault rifle would earn me more Pilot kills, but I just have too much fun being so mobile.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely used it, but I think it's perfect for people who aren't great at console FPS's. They're still going to lose 1v1 against someone who's on their toes, but if you run up behind someone unaware and start shooting, you should pretty easily kill that person. This pistol lets even someone who isn't great at aiming do just that, and punish people who aren't paying attention. It rewards people who can out-maneuver other players rather than straight out-shoot them.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted no, cause I'm not good with it.

I do like the weapon and once the game comes out and I spend more time with it maybe it will grow on me but for the beta I just skipped past it. I have seen a few people kill me with it, who seem to be using it correctly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Yes. Especially given it's not really Op against human players.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By spraynardtatum

I'm not very good with it. Why anyone would want to use it against other players is beyond me. It's great for killing bots but those dumb idiots stand around with their thumbs up their butts no matter what weapon you use on them.

I still think the smart pistol is cool though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It has too much range.

With burn cards that enhance it you can ace people while sleep walking basically.

It's just a lame gun. End of story. Watching a replay camera where a guy zaps you from thirty feet away without aiming is laaame and so much of Titanfall is already about back attacks. Shoot titans in the back when they aren't looking. Climb titans when they aren't looking. Do we really need a pistol that doesn't even need to be aimed to be shot?

It would be cooler if this was some kind of close range Titanzapper that killed their shields but didn't show you on radar.