Tokyo 42 anybody?

Truekirby2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Truekirby2

Has anybody gotten around to playing Tokyo 42? I remember the western guys did a video with the developers during GDC but they haven't mentioned it since then like I thought they would.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah I was excited for this game but then I heard some mixed things about it and decided to hold off for an official Quick Look but it never came. Kinda weird since the guys over at GBE have been Quick Looking a ton of lackluster small games, and it's not like they haven't QL'd games that had EX's.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it yesterday, actually. Surprised how little it's been talked about in most places.

Short review: I had a blast. It is honestly just fun walking around and exploring the world in that game, trying to get secrets, seeing the sights. The game is absolutely gorgeous, and it's pulled back camera really makes the environments shine. It's a pretty good length too. If you just mainline the story missions, yeah, it's about the reported 4 hours, but honestly, I think around 10 hours is what it will take most people if they don't try to speed run it, and they complete all the main and side missions. I spent lots of time exploring and messing around, so my final time was somewhere around 15 hours.

I only really had 2 issues. My biggest issue is the motorbike in game. It's hard to use, not very advantageous, and you don't even end up using it that much. It either should have been dropped entirely or expanded in an interesting way. The second issue, which is minor, is that the game has stealth, which is fun, but clearly underdeveloped compared to the combat. It encourages stealth in most of the missions by having ratings that you only get for beating a level without alarms, but honestly, the stealth mechanics are best as a once in a while way to shake things up, or as something you only use until you get caught. I did everything in the game except replaying every level to get the ninja ratings, because just stealth without combat is boring and doesn't play to the game's strengths.

If you end up playing it, I recommend it with a controller, since it'll be easier to rotate the camera while moving and doing other things.

Haven't touched the multiplayer at all. Not sure if I will.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it day one and had constant controller issues for hours. Couldn't shoot a thing, sadly, but the style was through the roof. Hope I can solve it myself soon if they don't patch it and get properly into it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@brackstone: Is there any sort of actual progression apart from getting new guns? Like skills or levels? Or are you just killing stuff and thats about it?

Truekirby2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brackstone: That's great to hear. The style of this game alone makes me want to play it. Had it on my wishlist since it was released so I'll pull the trigger on the purchase real soon.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's mostly new guns/weapons. The weirdest thing you'll get progression-wise is the shield. All of that stuff you simply buy from the gun store. Then there are abilities you unlock like the trackacat, skin swapping and disguises, but they are based on campaign progress. There are a few pieces of equipment you can unlock during/after the campaign that are neat, but in a late game, somewhat gamebreaking way. You need to gain reputation through side missions and main missions in order to unlock more missions, but it doesn't have an effect on anything else.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DYING for it to come out on PS4 later this summer. It's on my list of most anticipated games that all happen to be indies, and happen to be coming out this summer! (Ruiner, Absolver, Pyre, and of course Nex Machina!)

The games just never stop coming, it's WONDERFUL!