How are you enjoying the game? (Ghost Recon Wildlands)

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all,

So Ghost Recon: Wildlands has been out a day or two now and it has been very quiet on the reports/discussion front. I am wondering how fellow Giantbomb members are getting on with the game?

Cheers.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I think it's been quiet on here because the general consensus from the Open Beta was not very positive. The bombcast pretty much sealed this games fate for me, I don't think I will ever touch it unless it's 5 dollars and I can get a party of 3 or 4 friends together.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bombcast wasn't very reassuring for me but I played the open beta with some friends and we had some funny moments so it's most likely a game I will think about getting get later down the road after Zelda, Nier, Mass Effect and some of the upcoming games have passed.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy it. The shooting feels good after bumping the sensitivity up a bunch. Great game to goof off with some friends. The story is forgettable, but being able to take down huge compounds with three other players is awesome. Very much reminds me of mgs5 or just cause.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Seems like a cool game for taking photos of such an expansive recreation/imagining of a region that's not something most of us see when walking outside. The shooting doesn't grab me quite as much as other Ubi shooters, which is a shame (also people hating on The Division are crazy - that game feels so good for the moment to moment; class-leading for a full RPG), but being able to land a 600m arcing shot to take out a lone sentry (knowing that a miss will alert them to your presence) is certainly not something you get in a lot of games (at least outside of pure sniper sims).

Real shame that it's an ok game despite the story rather than because of it. Maybe it gets better further in but... everything I've played has been different levels of ugly, stupid, or pure cringe. Oh, and the vehicle handling is just bad, arcade-y done wrong with a corresponding toned down damage model because they expect you to half crash anything when trying to do precision driving or landing.

Maybe those rougher edges (outside of the dialogue) can be fixed by patching the game but, even without that, I think it'll be a good budget release down the line for a lot of people. Right now it's extremely busy for games that demand a lot of time and are so easy to recommend without qualification. I expect Ubi will be very quiet about sales as they get somewhat buried this month but may have more positive things to say before the end of the year, maybe even by E3.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Jeff's impression of it on the Bombcast were been pretty 1:1 with my experience with it. The writing is astonishingly bad, and poorly acted, and you play as the most unlikable people in the world. Most things you do in the world don't feel very good, the driving is super loose, the gunplay is stiff and rough, and the AI is really bad. It reminds me of Sniper Elite 2 in it's overall lack of polish. It seems like something that came out of a weird eastern European country with almost no budget, but it's a Ubisoft game that they've had at E3 for two years. If you have a group of friends that you'd want to play it with, you could have some fun for sure, but if your going to play it solo it's a hard pass.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't even bother getting it and usually the words "Tom Clancy's" mean a day 1 purchase from me.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renaldo_berkley: You sold me on "something that Comes Out of a weird easteren European Country".

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the beta and, in a stupid way, I kinda liked the indestructible jeep that you could drive off a cliff without much worries. But that was just about the only thing I liked, at least while playing solo. Hopefully they'll do a East&West QL to at least show-off the potential co-op goofyness.

Hjelmern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was positively surprised by how smooth the game was running for me and despite one's AI sqaudmates teleporting around sometimes, they are generally quite good for all the stealthing involved, even if that may just be scripted naturally. I can see this being fun to play with friends down the line, but the core gameplay will likely get very repetitive after a while. The vehicle physics are also terrible as mentioned elsewhere.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I understand why a lot of people don't seem to like the game, but to be honest ... I have a lot of fun with it. I am very early in the game but playing with one buddy and trying to stealth the missions is oddly satisfying. That may change if I play more of it, but for now I am enjoying my time with the game.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By paulmako

Looking at other reviews, I think Jeff is maybe a little more down on it than other people. Although I think they all agree the writing is a mess. The game seems to be a solid 7, which is fine, but it's coming out in a sea of 9s and 10s.

I might pick it up to play with some friends sometime down the road, goofy coop is always good.

Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

It's a real solid 7/10 that I'm having a good time with. World design is lovely, enjoying just driving/flying around.

However, those chose a terrible time for it come out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think this game looks flawed for sure but as for the Bombcast guys impressions the one thing I will say is this just isn't their type of game, especially now. If your game is a shooter and doesn't have a jetpack in it basically your game is slow and sucks it seems like. For example there were a lot of Just Cause comparisons coming up and those games really are very different. Some games just want to be a tactical, walk around like a normal ass person shooters and some people really like that still.

Again, that being said this seems to just be a not very good one.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Blackout62

It is such a relief to hear that this game is trash. After the weeks of hearing about how great Horizon and Breath of the Wild are, two games I'll likely never play as I won't likely own either console in even the near future, it just feels good to know that this game is none of my concern. It was crap in the private alpha, it was crap in the closed beta, it was crap in the open beta, and it's crap on release. Woo! Weight off my shoulders and darn it I was right, Wildlands is tasteless and politically insensitive garbage.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It is such a relief to hear that this game is trash. After the weeks of hearing about how great Horizon and Breath of the Wild are, two games I'll likely never play as I won't likely own either console in even the near future, it just feels good to know that this game is none of my concern. It was crap in the private alpha, it was crap in the closed beta, it was crap in the open beta, and it's crap on release. Woo! Weight off my shoulders and darn it I was right, Wildlands is tasteless and politically insensitive garbage.

Hold on, it sounds like people here seem to think it's 'OK', not trash. I do get what you're saying about being relieved though. It's a self-centered feeling I think, but I also am relieved sometimes that I only have 5 games I still need to play instead of 12.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Blackout62

@zevvion: It was a very subjective post based on my own experiences with, again, the private alpha, closed beta, open beta, and impressions heard on release. To me it seems like and has seemed like a steaming garbage pile of gung-ho US military interventionism with a stupid ass "We didn't make a political game" failed excuse from the devs that also has barely passable gameplay and that makes me so so glad.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By mrbubbles

I really like this game. I've been having a lot of fun with it even though a lot of people don't seem to like it.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By OldManLight

I've got a bit of crow to eat. I played the closed and open betas and i wasn't really impressed by what i saw but i thought there was potential there. i went ahead and picked it up anyways with gamestop store credit. First, everyone who says the writing and the voice acting is bad is right most of the time. There's a few lines and quips here and there that aren't terrible but overall it's bad. The game does itself a huge disservice with the way it opens. It feeds you some of the most bland environments and missions up front and practically shoves the online co-op down your throat as if to compensate for the weak first area you are in. Almost all the subsequent areas i've been to have had interesting landmarks, interesting story missions, and more opportunities for emergent gameplay.

That said, i feel like there's a right and a wrong way to play this game. The wrong way to play it is to treat it like a GTA clone, leaving the difficulty down let your AI squadmates mow down everyone as you spin donuts in front of every objective. The right way is to play it like a tactical shooter with open world elements to it. Plan your attacks, advance strategically, and potentially crank up the difficulty a notch or 2 because the default enemies are largely a pushover on the default difficulty. That and co-op is fantastic even with friendly strangers. Last night i played for an couple hours with random people and even something as mundane and repeatable like the hijacking the convoy missions were a blast with other people.

I feel like the game best suits people who are interested in a co-op far cry, people who like the open world aspects of MGS 5 particularly the recon and outpost capturing, and anyone who's ever thought the idea of an ARMA for the less hardcore would be a good idea.

i'm playing on PC. My Uplay is "OldManLight" if you'd like to play together.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a lot wrong with it. Some of the core mechanics are terrible (ballistics, vehicle controls). Some of the peripheral stuff is pretty bad too (difficulty and HUD options, the omnipresent radio). I've got a whole list of shit that I posted on Ubisoft's Open Beta forum.

It's not all bad, though. The lethality of the weapons feels great. I much prefer Wildlands over the bullet sponge enemies in The Division. Wandering the open world and taking on the Cartel with your friends is the best part, of course. The game gives you the tools to approach situations in a bunch of different ways: long-range sniping, stealthy infiltration, guns blazing, whatever. Sometimes you can execute your best laid plans to perfection, sometimes it goes off the rails almost immediately. It reminds me a lot of MGS V in that regard (MGS does it better).

I guess the best thing I can say about it at this point is it manages to be fun in spite of itself.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shivoa

@blackout62 said:

To me it seems like and has seemed like a steaming garbage pile of gung-ho US military interventionism with a stupid ass "We didn't make a political game" failed excuse from the devs that also has barely passable gameplay and that makes me so so glad.

Let's be clear here, the Tom Clancy brand means "the US Gov is only wrong because it's corrupt & doesn't give the military enough of the right kind of deference". It's almost Tea Party lite fiction for the independent military enthusiast. That isn't going to change at this point. It certainly doesn't make anything any dev studio PR says true about how it doesn't focus politics in the framing. But also the fiction should be examined from that framing - at no point should it be shocking that the game is built on that imperialistic framework because that's what this fiction is about (when the first two words of a title mean "Right-wing fantasy" then it's not like anyone isn't already informed of that from the outset - "the Rabbids game has Rabbids in it" is not valuable criticism because it already says it on the box). Hell, The Division got attacked for not sufficiently labelling all the domestic military forces as National Guard (a literal "but this goes against the Constitutions, these damn French developers know nothing" piece) when depicting an (effectively) post-apocalypse Manhattan.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#22  Edited By MightyDuck

I was absolutely having a blast playing with one of my buddies. However now it keeps saying his NAT is offline. Makes no sense considering we just played last night.

Appears to be an issue with others. Any ideas? I feel like this is a Ubisoft issue because we play tons of other games online together.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OurSin_360

Played the demo and hated it, most people say playing with friends is better but i dont see the point as there are better co-op games im sure. Was super surprised by the high rating but noticed most steam reviews revolved around it running decent lol. Maybe i am getting out of touch, but i would rather have a good tactical shooter rather than another boring, janky open world game.

Avatar image for brother_sazerac
Brother_Sazerac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got a bit of crow to eat. I played the closed and open betas and i wasn't really impressed by what i saw but i thought there was potential there. i went ahead and picked it up anyways with gamestop store credit. First, everyone who says the writing and the voice acting is bad is right most of the time. There's a few lines and quips here and there that aren't terrible but overall it's bad. The game does itself a huge disservice with the way it opens. It feeds you some of the most bland environments and missions up front and practically shoves the online co-op down your throat as if to compensate for the weak first area you are in. Almost all the subsequent areas i've been to have had interesting landmarks, interesting story missions, and more opportunities for emergent gameplay.

That said, i feel like there's a right and a wrong way to play this game. The wrong way to play it is to treat it like a GTA clone, leaving the difficulty down let your AI squadmates mow down everyone as you spin donuts in front of every objective. The right way is to play it like a tactical shooter with open world elements to it. Plan your attacks, advance strategically, and potentially crank up the difficulty a notch or 2 because the default enemies are largely a pushover on the default difficulty. That and co-op is fantastic even with friendly strangers. Last night i played for an couple hours with random people and even something as mundane and repeatable like the hijacking the convoy missions were a blast with other people.

I feel like the game best suits people who are interested in a co-op far cry, people who like the open world aspects of MGS 5 particularly the recon and outpost capturing, and anyone who's ever thought the idea of an ARMA for the less hardcore would be a good idea.

i'm playing on PC. My Uplay is "OldManLight" if you'd like to play together.

Saved me the time posting this, and I'm totally down for some tactikewl co-op.

greymeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By greymeister

Having a blast playing the campaign co-op with friends. I think the banter is silly and I wish it wouldn't play while you're in a co-op game, but I can see where they might have though it would make playing single player feel a little less barren. The game is definitely very different depending on whether you are doing single player, public co-op, or just friends co-op. I've tried all three and enjoy public co-op the least, but I'm still glad it's an option.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I ended up buying it in a moment of weakness after not really having a good time with the beta. A little surprised to say how much I am enjoying it now.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This some serious deep hooks in me. I'd like to play more of it but trying to be patient and play with my friends so we progress at the same pace. I am weak though and will probably start soloing or playing with randoms.

Game definitely has some issues but for me none of them has effected actual game play and basically been good for a few laughs.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing it coop with a friend and am enjoying it for the most part. There is some open world jank and some various small issues but no worse than a lot of titles. I do have to say though in my opinion the whole this game is "insensitive" argument is stupid. If every game has to show the player the magnitude of the actual conflicts and social situations they represent say goodbye to any title with an even remotely realistic plot.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Solh0und

It's pretty much a 7 in my eyes so far. I hear it is a much, much better experience online though. In some ways, it reminds me of those Operation Flashpoint games in terms of scale and somewhat lack of depth.

hkabaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By hkabaran

I couldn't resist it and finally bought the game. Last month or so i played the open beta single player and actually liked it. It reminded me of MGS:V in terms of infiltrating a base (or clearing it out if you get spotted).

First the UPlay cloud save thing prevented me launching the game. It kept saying sync is failed and i couldn't launch the game. Disabled the cloud save but then, when i was trying to create a character, game couldn't load a new item i picked (like shoes or whatever) and it kept on "loading" forever.

Restarted the game.

When i finally managed to create a character and began the campaign i hit a button by mistake aand it took me to matchmaking. I couldn't cancel it for some reason so now i'm stuck with these three dudes and one of them is actually a pervert, saying dumb things over the voice chat.

But then those guys left, still in matchmaking, and others came. And i had a blast playing with those 3 new random dudes. They were cooperative, fun and not really good at the game because everyone was new to the mechanics so we were all discovering what to do together. I realized the game i bought to play single player was actually a lot better with other people (shocking, i know!).

So play this with friends if you can. You'll enjoy it a lot more than i did with that open beta.

Edit: And also...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Tom Clancy Wildlands seemed bad...then I saw Mass Effect Andromeda. EA just saved Ubisoft's bacon on that one!

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tom Clancy Wildlands seemed bad...then I saw Mass Effect Andromeda. EA just saved Ubisoft's bacon on that one!

The last two weeks and change has been Horizon, Torment, Zelda, Wildlands, Nier, Atelier Firis, & Andromeda.

It's crazy that publishers have gone into releases with stuff that clearly needs a polish pass to get it out the door without being ripped to shreds. I guess Ubisoft are already talking about regional sales being good but probably too early to tell if that quickly evaporates under the middling reviews. I'm sure EA will also have at least some success with ME:A, despite the crowded release schedule.