User Lists: 0

18 minutes early! Lets check this sucker out

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Dare I go to Cocaine Mountain a third time before this game even releases?

...Fine.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

well this has been an underwhelming hour. not ready to write it off yet but it feels like all the worst elements of just cause merged with a metal gear solid 5 lite.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I follow the link on the website and click PC it opens uplay and asks for a cd-key. So much for open beta?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is this a preorder thing or is it a free beta?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its an open beta. Not a pre order bonus. Just go to uplay or whatever consoles you uses store? Or don't honestly its pretty rough. But free is free

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Played for an hour, didn't really enjoy it at all... Pretty sure I'll skip this one.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see it being fun with a group, but I can't see myself playing this when Horizon comes out in a few days. I downloaded just cause 2 again to scratch my helicopter jungle action itch after this disappointment.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Man, this game just feels incredibly mediocre. I'd rather play 30 more hours of the Division.

stickdutra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the gameplay feels terrible!

TOA_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help wondering if the people with 'really' negative experiences were playing alone. I played several hours with a couple friends, and thought it was quite fun. Subjective, of course, but I think having a group really helps.

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Laethe

I played both with a friend and solo, and I too feel really disappointed.

It feels like they combined the worst aspects of The Division and MSG V together.

Watching previews before this beta had already lowered my expectations, but this feel so directionless and repetitive that I can't see myself playing it after this beta is over, especially with all the good games already out and those about to be released.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cerberus3dog

I'm having a pretty good time. You really can tackle your objectives from any angle. You can come in quiet, go guns blazing, come in with a tank, drop in from above with a parachute, rain fire from a helicopter, or keep your distance by sniping. In this regard I'm having a lot of fun.

I should state I haven't played The Division or many Tom Clancy games.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08 said:

I can see it being fun with a group, but I can't see myself playing this when Horizon comes out in a few days. I downloaded just cause 2 again to scratch my helicopter jungle action itch after this disappointment.

I think there might be a topical cream for that..

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the gameplay feels terrible!

Downloading now. What's bad about it?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, I think Im gonna skip this game. Think Ill pick up For Honor instead

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Just wow. This game feels absolutely HORRIBLE. The shooting feels 15 years old. The driving is the worst I've seen in any open world game. The guns are boring and are in no way fun to shoot. The closest thing I had to fun with this thing was that I was able to make a character that looked like shitty, bargain bin Big Boss. Ubisoft is really dropping the ball lately.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this game is fine... been playing alone.

Sminmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to like this game a lot, it reminds me of the jank of Mercenaries 2 in a really bad way, the jump from 3rd person to ADS is fucking nauseating, the helicopter flight is really really REALLY bad, and the driving feels like barf. I can say the environments are really pretty, the mountainous environment is legit impressive in scale but has JC3's problem of having things way too scattered about.

I really don't know, I can easily see this game being 30$ within a month or two because its going to bomb pretty hard, if like 25% more thought was put into just about everything it would be a absolutely decent game.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NeoCalypso

@sminmorph said:

I want to like this game a lot, it reminds me of the jank of Mercenaries 2 in a really bad way, the jump from 3rd person to ADS is fucking nauseating

You know you can turn that off and just make the game third person right? For individual weapons even. I go first person for bolt action rifle but my secondary weapon stays in third person. Agreed on the other parts though driving and helicopters feel pretty bad.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sminmorph said:

I want to like this game a lot, it reminds me of the jank of Mercenaries 2 in a really bad way, the jump from 3rd person to ADS is fucking nauseating

You know you can turn that off and just make the game third person right? For individual weapons even. I go first person for bolt action rifle but my secondary weapon stays in third person. Agreed on the other parts though driving and helicopters feel pretty bad.

Helicopter controls are pretty weird but they enable you to do some cool shit. R2 to go forward/accelerate, L2 to go decelerate and land, press foward for a fast dive and back to climb

Sminmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: I looked at that stuff when I was tinkering around in the settings, for some reason it really didn't want to stick, or maybe I just wasn't understanding the settings. I eventually figured it out though.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised at the negativity.

I have my complaints about the game, for sure. I'm worried that it's going to get repetitive. The vehicle controls, particularly the helicopter, are not very good at all. And I've already started a list of quality of life improvements I'd like to see.

But I tell you what, three friends and I had an absolute blast playing it last night regardless of what issues it may have. One of my favorite things about it right now is the damage model. After playing 200+ hours of The Division with its bullet sponge nonsense it's refreshing to have my guns act like real guns. The bullet velocity feels too slow, and the bullet drop seems too severe, but it still feels pretty good.

Time will tell, but it seems like a pretty fun game to me.

sbarre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sbarre

Anyone here play the closed beta a few weeks ago? Anything different or better? I also thought the closed beta was clunky and the mechanics were not great, but we figured it might be an older build etc..

I have to assume that this "open beta" is a lot closer to release code, so if it's still the same mediocre gameplay, that's really too bad..

The game looks amazing, but just doesn't play well.. And that's a deal-breaker for me..

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the comments here are disheartening but imma try it anyways after all it's free and i wanna see how my people are represented lol

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Man, this game just doesn't feel good at all. Ill give it some more time since it's free but this one may be a real bummer. Some good ideas seem like they made it into this game but the execution of core mechanics feel off and sometimes terrible

constantk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: I echo almost all your sentiments. I too am a recovering Division player (one day at a time) and I'm really into the damage the guns do, even when it means I'm the one taking a ton of damage. Getting shot matters and that adds a lot of tension to the action.

I know a lot of people will dismiss the idea that it's super fun with friends, because most things are, but I had a blast with a full crew last night. We attacked an Unidad outpost and, because they just keep coming as your wanted level (or whatever this game calls it) keeps getting higher, had a great time fending them off and finally trying to escape with multiple failed helicopter rescues by respawned squadmates. We finally found a nearby river with several boats that allowed us to get upriver far enough to reach yet another helicopter (they're everywhere!) and escape over a mountain amidst a rain of fire from the ground and the air. It was really dumb fun.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By matatat

I downloaded the Xbox beta since that was just the first mention of beta I saw. The performance is... not great. But I feel like that happens with these beta downloads. I also didn't really find any of the content that I played through that interesting. It was just kinda shoot this, go here, shoot that, hold point. It's not that much different than The Division, but I felt like The Division had tighter controls and sort of a better world layout. Areas were crafted a little better to allow for taking cover and enabling line-of-sight. Wildlands, on at least one occasion, kinda just surrounded me with guys in an area I didn't have much cover.

I'll probably pick it up after a while, I need more coop games, but I think there are other things that I'm interested in for now. I could see this game being fun with some friends.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you wrote it off before trying the bigger engagements, maybe go back to it. Seems like that's where the game gets good. I was feeling pretty disappointed until me and my buddy took on a larger force.

@matatat: You control your positioning in Wildlands so if you were caught with your ass hanging out that's on you. I seem to remember Division doing just that when it would spawn guys in and you had far less flexibility with positioning and covering yourself.

OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@constantk: I think the team based shooter tactics thing is just something not a lot of people get into. Personally I love games that allow all kinds of cool attempts to achieve something and its better with friends. Your story reminds me of some of my favorite crazy moments in ArmA missions with my crew, and that is very promising. I only had one other person to play the beta with but I saw how much fun it could be with a full game.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By matatat

@opusofthemagnum: Of course, but The Division provides you with pretty clear points of cover. The part in Wildlands that I went through didn't really convey a good area to take cover. In some places this was much better situated, but in some of the busy-work side missions it doesn't always seem great.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Just wow. This game feels absolutely HORRIBLE. The shooting feels 15 years old. The driving is the worst I've seen in any open world game. The guns are boring and are in no way fun to shoot. The closest thing I had to fun with this thing was that I was able to make a character that looked like shitty, bargain bin Big Boss. Ubisoft is really dropping the ball lately.

so this is literally the worst game ever.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By BigBoss1911

I played for literally 5 minutes, so I had no clue what was going on. But for those 5 minutes I felt like I just played the buggiest, clunkiest, worst feeling game ever. Not to mention the dozens of weird graphical errors.

I think I'll stick to Siege.

cannoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cannoli

I'll echo what many have said. Wildlands is just too sloppy all around, though my main complaint is just how dull and directionless it is. The teammate AI is a bit dumb as well. It's basically a latter-day SOCOM mixed with the boiler plate Ubisoft open world template, if we're being reductive. Also, your dude says "shitballs" when he's being shot at.

One of the few positives is how in-depth they go with guns and gear, though it's not all that fun to unlock new stuff.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wasn't impressed by what I played. The gunplay and movement just seem kinda rotten. The driving is all crappy and squirrelly whereas flying a helicopter feels like you're barely in control it's so unresponsive. It seems like it will be incredibly repetitive. The AI seemed real dodgy. Within half an hour I had run into the now kinda infamous problem with vehicles spawning bad hombres out of nowhere.

The size of the world seems kinda unnecessary, in something like just cause you want a large world because just moving about is really fun and in something like GTA you want a largeish world because there's so much detail and so many things to see, neither of which seem true here. The story seems like trash.

The button for marking dudes for sync shots and jumping over cover are the same. Multiple times I ended up jumping over cover and revealing myself when I was trying to set up a cool stealthy ambush thing.

For some reason the muzzle flash from enemies looked super bad to me, combined with the weirdly low detail foliage (I was playing on high settings) there were times it felt like I was playing an early-mid generation 360 game

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@cannoli said:

I'll echo what many have said. Wildlands is just too sloppy all around, though my main complaint is just how dull and directionless it is. The teammate AI is a bit dumb as well. It's basically a latter-day SOCOM mixed with the boiler plate Ubisoft open world template, if we're being reductive. Also, your dude says "shitballs" when he's being shot at.

One of the few positives is how in-depth they go with guns and gear, though it's not all that fun to unlock new stuff.

I've been waiting for a third-person shooter like SOCOM for a long time, but I'm slowly losing faith. I really miss the slower paced shooters of the early 2000's, though Siege definitely fills the void a bit.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda like it; Yeah the driving controls are pretty bad, well, movement as a whole seems a bit weird actually, but the shooting feels pretty good imo (playing with mouse and keyboard here), no bullet spongy BS, I shoot someone with a high powered rifle in the head and they're dead, period.

I'm also playing on the difficulty setting above normal, so you go down pretty quickly, I end up having to approach things really "tactically" as it were, scouting ahead of time, getting rid of lookouts, using the drone for recon, plus you're killing drug dealers!! what's not to like??

But yeah maybe not 60 dollars good.. I'm certainly not getting it at release, maybe at a later date for cheaper

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By OurSin_360

Did a mission and it wasnt much fun. Open world seems dumb, pointless, amd driving/flying around is Boring. Im not sure if this game is taking itself too seriously or flat out joking with its characters? All the cartel members wear wife beaters and sweat pants and everyone speaks english with forced accents instead of speaking their native language. Feels likes its written by people with no experience with the actual region and content.

Game doesn't look or run great, vsync is glitched and the game tears like crazy. Controls are clunky and bad.

Othwerwise it seems fine

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

The beta saved me $60. What a mediocre experience.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The closest thing I had to fun with this thing was that I was able to make a character that looked like shitty, bargain bin Big Boss. Ubisoft is really dropping the ball lately.

I thought it was funny that the "Snake" face just looked like John Travolta.

I havent played enough to really make any proper judgements, I intend to play some co-op at some point since it seems like thats the draw.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squirrelgod: I thought driving a dirt bike was pretty fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane:

I completely agree. I played with 2 friends last night for over 3 hours and had a blast! I am having trouble understanding all the hate/disappointment I am seeing for this game. I don't want to brush it off as just "Ubisoft hate", because I know that the majority of the people that use this site are above that and are willing to give this game a fair shake, but I just don't get all the negative buzz. My friends and I are all buying this game day 1. It looks and runs amazing, (i7 / GTX 1070) is a blast to play co-op, and there seems to be enough variety to keep us from getting bored.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Blackout62
@inresurrection said:

@squirrelgod: I thought driving a dirt bike was pretty fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry to use your post to go on a tangent but the dirt bikes in Wildlands just reminded me that the Dakar spent a lot of time in Bolivia this year.

Loading Video...

I want a new Motorstorm damn it!

And then there's the part where motorcycles and South America just makes me think of The Motorcycle Diaries. US military intervention isn't a good look when your thinking of the journey of a young Che and for that matter Wildlands needs a better, less generic soundtrack. If there was ever a time for some fake Gustavo Santaolalla it's this game.

Anyway, Wildlands is like they took the trashed setup for a good Far Cry game and Clanced it up.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the real takeaway here is if you have a group of friends you play games with then give it a chance, but as a single player game this feels sloppy and unsatisfying. If they spent more time with the driving model to better utilize their open world things could have gone differently, but the environment feels a bit too control+c/control+v to immerse myself in. Also i shot a passenger door window of a car twenty times iwth a handgun, the glass never broke and then the car exploded....

OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat: I had no issue. There are plenty of barriers, overwatch positions, etc. Cover is just anything solid you can put between you and gunfire. Even in more organic spaces I had no issues finding cover. Sounds like you just need a more regimented, systematic design to a game. Which is fine but you're putting the blame on the game and I don't see it.

Falk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I want to try it but it won't even start for me, just the endless spinning circle of death in uplay..

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By Nardak

I have been playing the beta and have gone now through the first area available in the beta and am at the moment on the second map available in the beta. I do like the game but I still feel like this game isnt an instant purchase for me. Considering that Horizons and Mass effect are both being soon released makes wildlands a game that I will probably buy later down the road.

The game also still suffers a bit from ubisofts collection disease even though they have dialed it down a notch. Squad AI is also sometimes a bit dumb since I am getting gunned down at close range with my squadmates standing all around me seemingly doing no shooting. The game is also pretty buggy at times as in the first mission for example the npc that i was supposed to deliver back to the rebel base fell to the ground from the helicopter while sitting on a passenger seat. There has also been enemy npc´s getting clipped inside buildings.

Also while the game runs pretty smoothly it kinda looks barebones when looking at the horizon as it seems that graphics get downsized for performance at the longer distances which makes the environment look visually a bit ugly (playing this on ps4 btw).