Tomb Raider Movie Reboot Trailer

TepidShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

First look at the reboot of Tomb Raider movie series with Alicia Vikander:

I don't know, if this is supposed to be influenced off the 2013 reboot of the game series, shouldn't Vikander's portrayal be of a less confident Lara?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Ezekiel

@tepidshark said:

I don't know, if this is supposed to be influenced off the 2013 reboot of the game series, shouldn't Vikander's portrayal be of a less confident Lara?

Movie writers usually aren't as stupid as video game writers. And yes, making Lara so meek was stupid.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That sure is a trailer for a movie adaption of a video game, which is to say it looks not amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Notice how she say Lah-Ra

GrayFox666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GrayFox666

It looks like Iron Fist...with a lady

Edit: Glad to see Walton Goggins getting work though

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's sort of funny how visually it borrows a lot from the 2013 but not otherwise. Like she has the climbing pick-axe things and a similiar top and bow but otherwise it's a totally different thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

It's sort of funny how visually it borrows a lot from the 2013 but not otherwise. Like she has the climbing pick-axe things and a similiar top and bow but otherwise it's a totally different thing.

Actually, I think you'll find that the jump grunts are spot on

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We sat here waiting for "Black Betty" to kick in and it never did.

It never did...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That looks alright! A fun little action-adventure, except for the whole mission to save the world thing coming at the outset rather than 2/3rds through the movie.

Still, the whole thing oddly strikes me as more Tomb Raider-y than the actual video game reboot. Walton Goggins was a pleasant surprise, as was Nick Frost. Looks entertaining, even in spite of the terrible "music" choice and the corny action movie BS like sliding under the spike thing and looking at it in slow-mo.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overloaded with CGI (which looks more video-gamey than a video game), and making Lara more vulnerable in the game had a purpose- she was there by accident, and had more of a "fish out of water" angle to the story.

It was more interesting than just, oh hey, I guess I'm going on an adventure? OK, sure.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It don't know. It looks mediocre as a movie, but it's probably kinda fun. I like Vikander. And it's fun to see Walton Goggins hamming it up.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

The whole boat sinking scene...is straight out of the 2013 game

This looks like a good video game adaptation, which isnt a high bar to cross, nor does that mean it will be good

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It looks like a generic adaptation 101. That is, have some scenes the fans will recognize as the game to make it "an adaptation", while at the same time being only the barebones of the thing they were assigned to adapt.

Hope I am wrong, but given the history of videogames adaptations, I am not holding my breath...

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh....I mean I like the callbacks to the 2013 game, but that whole "Oh, Lara's coming back to her company after so long" thing from Arrow/Iron Fist and "The fate of humanity is in your hands!" plot just make the film feel cobbled together. Why couldn't we just stick with her trying to escape from the pirate-infested island? Bigger isn't always better.

Also I don't know what it is about how this movie was filmed, but the action doesn't look exciting at all.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video game movies are a mistake.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZolRoyce

Generic action movie based on generic action game storyline.

The call backs look amusing seeing as how some video game movies would almost rather you forget the source material. Animus? What Animus? He's hooked up to a giant claw machine! Claw machine I tell you!

So yeah, it's not going to be ground breaking, the CGI is a bit too showy at times, it could be worth a bit of fun though, I watched all of the Resident Evil movies on purpose, so I'll probably watch this at some point sure why not.

Spoilers: The good guys win and the bad guys lose and the ending shot will be a big wink and nod at the audience while at the same time going 'you want another one riiiiiight?' before it hard cuts to black and some generic rock song leads the credits that are flying at the screen.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Surprised it's so heavily based on the recent reboots. Other than that I dunno, Tomb Raider isn't some super unique property so this looks like it really needs to just be a competent action movie with an Indiana Jones vibe to it.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are listening to this then I must be a cliche

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By UlquioKani

This seems pretty bad. The CGI will look better upon release (probably) but nothing about that looked compelling.

I don't know why they used 'No Wow' if they weren't going to use the other part of the song.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Looks like a movie based on a video game franchise. It looks bad.
Bit surprised Alicia Vikander took the role. You can still hear some of her Scandinavian accent coming through with the hard t's. Sounds weird.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows? Maybe it'll be decent. First trailers are usually the worst though.

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks fine to me, other than a bit too much slow-mo. Way more interested than I was for any of the Jolie movies at least.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Instant hate from a 2 minute trailer. Never change internet, never change.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks surprisingly faithful to the reboot games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spamfromthecan: There were several shots in that trailer with bad CGI and editing that made me go "why would you ever put that in your trailer". I'm just saying based on what they have showed me, it looks bad.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard for me to tell if I think every movie looks bad or If I just really dislike trailers.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By stonyman65

Is it just me or does this look low budget? Not like "SyFY Original Movie" low budget, but totally straight to DVD low budget?

Either way, I'll watch it. I have to know.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By notnert427

I wonder why Camilla Luddington's not playing Lara? She's an actress.

Also, Walton Goggins rules, so I might actually see this.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks bad, but could just be a bad trailer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lost all faith in good gaming movies the closest thing we got was the original MK but it hasn't aged well I still think the best movie based on a game is Silent Hill 2006.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Notice how she say Lah-Ra

I have never heard someone say "Lair-uh" apart from when discussing the idea that some people say "Lair-uh" instead of "Lah-Ra". I'm American, if that changes anything.

Regarding the movie - yeah, it looks like they're really taking a lot of their ideas from the 2013 game. That's cool, but a big complaint with that game's story was how quickly she went from "innocent young adult lady" to "female Rambo". I don't see how that complaint won't be exacerbated by the two to two-and-a-half hours this movie is likely to run. Then again, if I ever do actually watch this movie, it will be because I'm bored on a weekend afternoon and I want something loud and silly and I won't really care how she becomes such a ridiculously efficient killer, so whatever.

They kept the bit where she puts her rock climbing pick in a guy's shoulder, though, that was pretty painful in the game and I can't imagine it will be any less painful here.

On a different topic, this month's Humble Monthly Bundle is Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC, so if anyone wants that game for $12 it's right here.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zolroyce said:

Generic action movie based on generic action game storyline.

The call backs look amusing seeing as how some video game movies would almost rather you forget the source material. Animus? What Animus? He's hooked up to a giant claw machine! Claw machine I tell you!

The source here is generic; that's the problem.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that while this trailer does nothing to make me want to see the movie, it did remind me that this game is sitting in my backlog. I really enjoyed the parts I've played and seen, and I'm a sucker for a good Metroidvania, so I should get on that soon!

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roar Uthaug is obviously an anagram for Uwe Boll.

Or I might not totally understand how anagrams work.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh, looks alright. nothing special. will probably rent it one day when im super bored

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@oldenglishc said:

Wow, I didn't notice, but that's a Norwegian director alright. He's done a horror movie, a disaster movie and a kids' movie that I've heard of, but I haven't watched them, unfortunately.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It actually doesn't look as bad as I expected, but it also doesn't look great either. Feels generic but it could be better than the majority of videogame movies. I like that it doesn't seem to rely heavily on CGI but the whole "The fate of humanity is in your hands" part is just lame.

But the first poster and the logo are just awful, look like promotion material for a movie from The Asylum.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By odinsmana

@redhotchilimist said:
@oldenglishc said:

Wow, I didn't notice, but that's a Norwegian director alright. He's done a horror movie, a disaster movie and a kids' movie that I've heard of, but I haven't watched them, unfortunately.

Wow, I didn`t release he was the director. I was actually at a talk he did at a local high school a few years ago. I have only seen one of his movies though, Flukt. It was a decent action movie by Norwegian film standards. From my limited experience he seems like he can make a decent dumb action film, so who knows. Maybe this won`t be terrible.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks average, I'll probably have an ok time when it's available on streaming services. I'm probably in the minority, but I had fun with the first Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider movie.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you are listening to this then I must be a cliche

Low key the best post here.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Doesn't look as bad as I thought this movie would look. Still super generic tho

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the 2013 game but less engaging.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure looks generic, but on the level that I still might watch it from a streaming service.

Not bothered by the likely whatever plot, because the new games (especially Rise) really didn't shine with their stories either. As long as the action won't be completely terrible.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Sarnecki

Why make a movie of a game that's already heavily cinematic as it is?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By soulcake
No Caption Provided

I am not a doctor but there seems something wrong with here neck it's almost alien like.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the trailer (Not sure if it's the same one) tonight before the most recent Star War. It didn't look like the worst thing ever, but I was struck by two things: 1) that it just LOOKED like a video game movie (complete with some real cringeworthy fan service); and 2) if what I remember is correct, they seem to have aped the story from the first game which was like, far and away my least favorite part of that game and that kind of left me stunned. It made me start to wonder if I was mis-remembering how bad that story really was.