Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 getting Gen 9 versions w/$10 upgrade and a Nintendo Switch version

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

Can you kick[flip] it on PS5? Yes you can.

This is great news. I loved the Tony Hawk remakes on PS4 and I'm excited to see what the Dualsense integration will be. This is a game that could really benefit from good Dualsense programming for the various surfaces. Plus I want to revisit the game anyway. According to my PS5 play counter I put in like 18 hours, so that's pretty substantial, but it's a great game to just mess with from time to time.

I'm curious to see what the Switch port will be like. I won't be picking it up but if it's a solid port that will be great for people who want to play Tony Hawk while they're actually skating in real life*.

I also hope this means that we're more likely to see new remasters via a new game or DLC despite the loss of Vicarious Visions. This was such a great package it would be a shame for there not to be another one.

EDT:

@glots points out that the upgrade path is apparently confusing and bad so that puts something of a damper on my excitement. This is a great game but I guess Activision's gonna Activision.

*DO NOT DO THIS! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By glots

Sadly it won't be free, unless you already own the Digital Deluxe version. Otherwise you'll need to pay $10 for the upgrade as an owner of the standard digital or physical version. You're even more out of luck if you own the physical version on Xbox One, because apparently you can't upgrade that version and just have to buy the whole game again?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-23-tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-has-a-convoluted-usd10-upgrade-for-ps5-xbox-series-s-x

The game already ran at 60FPS on old consoles and looked plenty pretty to me in 1080p, so I'm not feeling like coughing up a tenner just for 4K and maybe some Dualsense features.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: man that sucks. I actually bought the digital deluxe version just because I am something of a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater superfan (I didn't buy any of the really bad games like Ride or 5 but I've played almost everything else) and I was so excited that they were bringing these games back. I guess I will check out that PS5 version but it's really cruddy that they're not making it free for everyone. They're doing it for Crash 4 so why not Tony Hawk?

And the Xbox situation is really bad. I mean...you're right that the game runs great as a last gen game and the backwards compatibility stuff will still work so this isn't a huge deal (even less of a huge deal on Xbox since there's no Dualsense) but it's just chintzy, and it has echoes of how Activision ran the series into the ground in the first place.

I hope this won't be a trend. For the time being the next gen upgrade paths have been painless but if Activision does well off this...

If they wanted to further monetize this game they should have just done it through new DLC, such as the Tony Hawk 3 DLC that everyone wants!

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Series X runs the game at 1440p/60 (same as the One X) and the load times are quite good as it is. Not really seeing a need to pay $10 to get it to full 4K.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatking

This feels closer to what something like Control should've done, even if it's not perfect—at least the folks who invested in the deluxe version aren't being asked to spend even more, and (most of) the folks who didn't buy the deluxe version have a path of upgrading that's not just buy it again.

Anyway, if this ultimately means more people playing this game, it's excellent news.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems like an obvious fit for the Switch. I bought this already on PS4 but I would've definitely bought it on Switch instead if it was available. I'm surprised it didn't make to the Direct.