User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By betterley
miserywizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm really excited to play this, even though I never finished the original one. I remember coming off the BG and Icewind Dale series, and launching into this with a lot of energy but getting so confused and sorta just gave up after awhile. I was really into the characters and art though, I think maybe I was just a bit too young to get much of the story/et cetera.

Would anyone recommend playing through the first one before tackling this new game?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks really cool, and the perfect entry-point for me into this genre. Wasteland 2 on PS4 was really cool, but I kept getting completely lost and didn't get far. This seems a little simpler to me, I can't wait. I hope the PC version has the option to pick a controller mode similar to how it is on consoles, as I struggle with mice/keyboards; get tired.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satiros:

I don't think Tides Of Numenera is a direct sequel to Planescape Torment. If I understand correctly it's a spiritual successor, kind of like a Demon's Souls/ Dark Souls deal.

With that being said, it would hurt to finish the first one, but I don't think it's necessarily required.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@satiros: I mean, you should probably play Planescape Torment because it's one of the greatest RPGs ever made (or greatest interactive novels masquerading as an RPG ever made.) However, Tides of Numenera definitely seems like its own thing, a spiritual successor (i.e. a lot of text, alienating world, protagonist whose goal is to figure out who they are) rather than a sequel.

I really do hope that it's great. However, I think I've tempered my expectations a little. Wasteland 2 had some problems, and this game was funded almost 4 years ago, which suggests that maybe development wasn't the smoothest ride.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

was a kickstarter backer, played a bit of that early content that they gave to backers... but haven't really gotten deep into it since i wanted to wait for release.

astrophyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 20

This game seems very exciting, and I loved the Planescape game years ago. I just finished Pillars of Eternity and White March expansions and I forgot how much I love a well-written story and meaningful characters, even if I have to do a lot of reading in a game. It looks like Torment will have a lot of cool stuff going on with it.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many video gaaaaaaames

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had a pc growing up and trying to get planescape torment running on modern pc's well has been more work than it seems to be worth, but I'm really excited for this, especially after watching the story trailer.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super curious how it'll turn out. Love that your getting a map+soundtrack with the physical edition.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

Wait, WHAT?! Fuuuuuck meeee. That game is just gonna' eat up my life, isn't it?

Too many good games, what a problem to have. I haven't even started Nioh yet.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I backed this on KS with a pledge that got me Wasteland 2 as well. Can't wait to play it!

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also backed it on Kickstarter way back when. It's nice to see that all of the projects I have backed have been released and been well received.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By odinsmana

Planescape Torment is probably my favorite RPG, but the reasons I love it is the world, the carachters, the premise and the writing in general. Tides of Numenera is set in a different world and Chris Avellone (who wrote the original game (and directed I believe)) is only doing some guest writing as part of a kicstarter goal as I understand it. I am not saying it`s going to be bad, it has a solid premise, but I am pretty caution considering that the ties to the original both on the developer and the fiction end are so thin. Still, I am excited to see how this turns out.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

Its been way too long, can't wait for next week.... I got my key from backing the game and ran through the intro the other day. I'm a little confused by the character creation, but that's nothing new for me. I'll probably pick the 'Jack-of-all-trades' character class.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finally. That's all I have to say.

bk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo, Imma just throw this out there, Planescape Torment is the GOAT.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Efesell  Online

Well Planescape Torment is probably my favorite game so I will attempt to judge this one fairly and fail miserably.

Looking forward to the attempt still.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That gives me 8 days to finish Tyranny. Well by the time I get to Torment it'll have got a patch or two at least!

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frytup

@squidc00kie said:

I never had a pc growing up and trying to get planescape torment running on modern pc's well has been more work than it seems to be worth, but I'm really excited for this, especially after watching the story trailer.

Buy the GOG version and install. Not much to it. For bonus points you could install the widescreen mod and UI mod, but that's not really required.

I backed Tides of Numenera, but the switch to turn-based and some of the console-friendly UI changes they've made have dampened my enthusiasm a bit. We'll see. If the writing turns out great, all will be forgiven.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bk said:

Yo, Imma just throw this out there, Planescape Torment is the GOAT.

You`re not wrong...

paugerot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By paugerot

Planescape Torment is probably my favorite RPG, but the reasons I love it is the world, the carachters, the premise and the writing in general. Tides of Numenera is set in a different world and Chris Avellone (who wrote the original game (and directed I believe)) is only doing some guest writing as part of a kicstarter goal as I understand it. I am not saying it`s going to be bad, it has a solid premise, but I am pretty caution considering that the ties to the original both on the developer and the fiction end are so thin. Still, I am excited to see how this turns out.

The dude who designed the Numenera universe--Monte Cook-- is the same dude who designed the Planescape universe, and there is a lot of aesthetic and thematic crossover between the two.