Wait wait wait wait hold on a minute

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Is this......is this basically Monster Hunter for PS4?!?!

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By chroipahtz

Yuuup. With better controls, supposedly. I'm about to start it right now.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zeik

Basically yes. It borrows quite a lot from Monster Hunter. (More than any other game that I can think of that tends to get lumped into the same category as MH.) In a lot of ways it also kinda seems like the anti-Monster Hunter though, with lots of elements of MH absent or altered that I've heard people complain about in MH. (For better or worse.) So like, you never have to chase the monsters around the map, healing is instant, combat is a bit faster pace and not quite so much animation priority, there's very little gathering, more focus on story and characters, etc.

In some ways it kinda seems like Monster Hunter-lite, but being able to play it on a PS4 with a PS4 controller is a huge deal for me. After playing the demo I'm definitely thinking about picking this up over MH4.

Avatar image for thehuntsmen5434
thehuntsmen5434

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@zeik: that's all I care about. I Love MH, but honestly I just get tired of holding a handheld for hours. The Wii U version was good, but that controller was gigantic, and the online isnt great. I will gladly take a semi MH on a system that I want to play on with a comfortable controller.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I was never able to get into MH but I'm loving this. It seems to combine the (few) good parts of Dynasty Warriors and the good parts of MH and blend them together nicely. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@zeik: this sounds like a ton of fun... Except for when people mention dynasty warriors.. That's where they lose me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: It's barely anything like Dynasty Warriors. You're not mashing buttons against hordes of enemies. It's very much a Monster Hunter style of game in terms gameplay.

The few areas where "Dynasty Warriors" comes into play are the aesthetic (feudal Japanese warriors), the fact that you can build a meter for a powerful attack, and the weapon animations have a bit of that Dynasty Warrior flair to them.

There's a demo available for the PS4 and Vita, I suggest trying it out. Your progress even transfers to the full game.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@zeik: ah, I see! Definitely will pick up the demo. Is there local co-op available?

Jon_Danger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I couldn't get into monster hunter, but I am really liking this game so far. It takes the better parts of Monster Hunter, like killing big bosses, leveling gear, etc, but removes some of the tedious stuff from Monster Hunter.