Waypoint vs. objective marker

lane_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lane_

Is this supposed to act same as the objective marker or should there be separate entries for both? Now the description explains waypoints in more strategic games but game list seems to contain many action games which just have objective markers to guide the player.

I have feeling that the original intent was to use this as player commands unit(s) under his control, and not to include all games that have objective markers.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By imhungry

Consider though, the ability to place waypoints on your map in open world games to mark where you want the GPS to direct you to. That seems to bring it much closer to the concept of the RTS waypoint and those waypoints are in turn almost the same as 'objective markers'. So I think the page is probably fine as is.

Alternatively, consider the meta interpretation that the two are exactly the same, just that in RTS you place the waypoints for units but in other games the game places the waypoint for you.

Clearly we need Waypoint experts @austin_walker and @patrickklepek to weigh in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Is there a difference between a preset story objective marker and one you place yourself? When I think of waypoint (outside of strategy games) I think of a marker you place down that then gives you directional guidance on a map. Where an objective marker, to me, is just an icon on a map indicating there is some sort of mission at this location. You can put down a waypoint on the objective marker to get directional guidance to that objective.

I'm thinking in terms of more open games such as GTA V and The Witcher 3.

rujasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, but the waypoint page seems to be talking about the kind of waypoint that appears when you select a bunch of units in Starcraft and shift-right click around the map a bunch. Quite a dramatically different concept from the magic marker in FO4, for example.

innacces14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel like objective markers dictate in-mission items, checkpoints, or goal. Waypoints have the flexibility to be that (usually at the end of a mission) and the spot where you can begin the next mission. Purely going by what it felt like in GTA.