Recording Audio off of the Wii U? Suggestions??

Avatar image for dreamfinder1983
DreamFinder1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey everyone,

I am kind of going crazy these last couple weeks trying to figure out a solution to get the material I need for an audio mix I am working on. Essentially, there's a game that came out for the Nintendo Wii (though I have a Wii U to play it on) that I am trying to grab the source audio from so I can import it into my computer (an iMac running El Capitan) and edit it into an audio mix I am making on GarageBand.

I thought that using the Elgato Game Capture HD60S would be the best solution and then I could just strip away the video in GarageBand and edit the audio track. Normally, this probably would've been my easiest option... HOWEVER... the Elgato being sold now is apparently too new for my system and my iMac (a 2008 computer) is only 2 core duo and will not work with the device. I found this out the hard way by buying the game capture device and moved my iMac from upstairs to the downstairs living room to be able to reach my Wii U... only to find out this all wouldn't work (I even spoke to an Elgato rep to ask if there were any work arounds, there were not... my system is simply too old).

Anyway... I returned the device for a refund and now I am back at square one. I thought I'd put the question out there for perhaps any tech savvy individuals to shed some light on a way I might be able to do this. I even tried just running an emulator on my computer for the game but that wasn't going to work as this is a point and shoot game and the game wasn't running properly and I couldn't figure out the controls in Dolphin... using a Wiimote on the Wii U itself is a much smoother, understandable option for me.

So, if there is any way I can record JUST the audio stream from my Wii U and dump it onto my iMac... that would be preferred. I don't mind both video and audio as I mentioned, I can just snip out the video in GarageBand. Any thoughts of products (preferably ones I could buy locally and return for a refund) or simple work arounds for doing something like this? I'd really like to get on with this project but this section of it is really causing me some issues that I am getting rather annoyed with. And just recording the audio from a device by holding it up to my TV isn't preferred... I am looking to capture the SOURCE audio from the game.

Thanks to anyone who may be able to assist!

Avatar image for dreamfinder1983
DreamFinder1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xpolymorphic:

Thanks for pointing that out! I did take a look at these online too but didn't think the new version would work any less than the old. Would this work for the 2 core iMac I have? I seem to recall the Elgato rep explaining to me that it probably wouldn't be able to handle it either... but there's always a chance he was trying to dissuade me from buying a secondhand version of their old products.

Thoughts?

xPolyMorphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xpolymorphic:

Thanks for pointing that out! I did take a look at these online too but didn't think the new version would work any less than the old. Would this work for the 2 core iMac I have? I seem to recall the Elgato rep explaining to me that it probably wouldn't be able to handle it either... but there's always a chance he was trying to dissuade me from buying a secondhand version of their old products.

Thoughts?

No idea, I know they were designed to record the PS3 so computers from that time window should be able to handle it

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Couldn't you use the Headphone jack on the Wii U gamepad? Might be cheaper hardware that works for that if Audio is all you need?