Would you love to see a new installment of this franchise for PS5?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello, futuristic racing fans!

Back in 2012, Psygnosis/SCE Studio Liverpool was developing an entirely new installment for this franchise on the PS4 but cancelled after Sony Interactive Entertainment shut down their studio on August 22nd, 2012 for a bad reason which causes quite a lot of fans to become unsatisfied with the whole Sony company.

Later, they got merged with XDev then ended up remastering WipEout HD, HD Fury, and 2048 for the PS4 as WipEout Omega Collection plus having two additional playable ships are Van-Über and Tigron.

Now, let's jump straight to this topic, I would personally love to see a new installment of WipEout for PS5 which XDev should pick up Psygnosis' unfinished project of WipEout PS4 and continue its development.

P.S Also same goes that I want Nintendo to bring back the F-Zero franchise for Nintendo Switch or its successor.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Wipeout would be so cool on next-gen tech!

They could also add vr support.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

Let's just say that I would love to see the future racing genre on any modern platform again.

Avatar image for davesavedtheday
davesavedtheday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's just say that I would love to see the future racing genre on any modern platform again.

I agree with this. I'm not hung up on whatever brand or IP it is - Just give me future racing.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd rather see F-Zero come back and have another legendary game. It would also be great to see WipEout back again, but I wonder if the fire is gone.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see F-Zero come back and have another legendary game. It would also be great to see WipEout back again, but I wonder if the fire is gone.

Yep, I prefer F-Zero more than WipEout too.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@giant_gamer: Not sure if you where aware or not, but the Omega collection did add VR support. I remember it because i thought it would be instant motion sickness from how crazy that game can look in 2D, but it was one of the more comfortable games in VR i have played.

And yes more WipEout is always welcome. Even if its something relatively simple that they can show off as a tech demo of sorts. Zoom through a dense city filled with skyscrapers with ray traced windows at high speeds in 120fps, load me from track to track as fast as i can reset from a crash in a Trials game, let me hear what the tempest engine can do for 3D audio, use that fancy controller or something. PS5 is lacking in games built from the ground up with only PS5 in mind, so anything relatively small to show it off would be nice.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always loved the idea of Wipeout but never the games, they never quite achieved what i wanted.
I've dipped into the spiritual successors as they've come along, Redout is very drifty and i don't quite "get" it, Antigraviator is super fast but doesn't quite have the controls down, Pacer is probably my favourite of the bunch, a bit more tactical with great physics but the events are very simple and the AI is pretty annoying. My favourite game of this style is probably GRIP, which is more Rollcage than Wipeout, but it's very punishing so i don't like it all the time.

Which leaves me with the funny realisation that my favorite Wipeout game overall is probably Star Wars: Pod Racer.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By liquiddragon

@cikame: It's more F-Zero but Fast RMX is worth considering tho the rubberband AI get's a bit much further into the game.

I don't have much attachment to Wipeout. It took me a while to really get to grips with the feel of it and it's a totally solid series but I much prefer F-Zero. I wouldn't hate on another Wipeout but the series had its day in the sun. As far as Sony racers go, I'd like another Motorstorm or a remastered trilogy collection would be awesome.

goosemunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'd like to see 2025-era as seen in intro cinematic for WipEout 2048. Cuz it looks cool. Plus I'm not a huge fan of floaty controls.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think another digital-download style Wipeout would be good. Something stripped back that can be completed in one sitting where it's all about the speed and high scores.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I'd like to see 2025-era as seen in intro cinematic for WipEout 2048. Cuz it looks cool. Plus I'm not a huge fan of floaty controls.

Of course, this is what the players wanted!

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

I always loved the idea of Wipeout but never the games, they never quite achieved what i wanted.

I've dipped into the spiritual successors as they've come along, Redout is very drifty and i don't quite "get" it, Antigraviator is super fast but doesn't quite have the controls down, Pacer is probably my favourite of the bunch, a bit more tactical with great physics but the events are very simple and the AI is pretty annoying. My favourite game of this style is probably GRIP, which is more Rollcage than Wipeout, but it's very punishing so i don't like it all the time.

Which leaves me with the funny realisation that my favorite Wipeout game overall is probably Star Wars: Pod Racer.

Yep, I can see Pacer and GRIP are both appear to be love letters to WipEout and Rollcage respectively.

Just like Nitronic Rush and Distance are both love letters to San Francisco Rush 2049.

I haven't played Redout but looks good.

I wish if there is a new futuristic game to be a love letter to DICE's Motorhead.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamesyfx said:

I think another digital-download style Wipeout would be good. Something stripped back that can be completed in one sitting where it's all about the speed and high scores.

I agree with that since the sub-genre: futuristic racing sound small and niche for today's standard for the gaming industry, just like how Fast RMX for Nintendo Switch is released as digital only.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gtxforza
@giant_gamer said:

Wipeout would be so cool on next-gen tech!

They could also add vr support.

I absolutely agreed with that!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16 fisk0  Moderator

Definitely would love to see it, but Sony's interestest don't seem to line up with mine very much. They've got so many franchises I'd love to see return, but have zero interest in what they're currently doing.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Definitely would love to see it, but Sony's interestest don't seem to line up with mine very much. They've got so many franchises I'd love to see return, but have zero interest in what they're currently doing.

Me too, I guess XDev may have the choice to develop a new one or not.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#18 gamer_152  Moderator

I could really go for a modern one of these. I suspect that it's not top priority for most big game devs right now because, if you're making a racing game, you're going to appeal to more people by filling it with realistic brand name cars, letting people drive their Ferraris and Porches. If you're making a sci-fi game, however, it's probably more lucrative to make it a shooter title. So, sci-fi racing occupies this odd middle space.

Then again, you could have said there wasn't enough interest in sci-fi sports games and Rocket League did gangbusters. Plus, even if Sony don't seem as interested in smaller games as they once did, Nintendo have taken punts on weirder experiments more recently. I wouldn't expect to see one of these games done with blisteringly high-fidelity graphics in the near future, but there's probably space out there for a new, mid-tier Wipeout, F-Zero, or indie lookalike.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By FacelessVixen

I mean, sure, but, I'd also need a PC version. 21:9 kicks so much ass.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, sure, but, I'd also need a PC version. 21:9 kicks so much ass.

How about the VR for both versions?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

We need to be a little louder next time we speak duders. They obviously heard us, but something went horribly wrong.

Loading Video...

Card based WipEout for mobile.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Nodima

I feel like Danny kind of nailed it on one of the two most recent Bombcasts when he said that Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 (or XL as I knew it) was such a vibe from the moment it came out that all of its sequels felt like nostalgic pining for an era that had already passed by in the culture, a sentiment Ryan Davis echoed 13 years ago, exacerbated by the fact the games weren't actually all that fun unless you absolutely clicked with its pace. For myself and my friends, we'd rent the games to marvel at how fast and cool looking they were, only to swap for San Francisco Rush, Cruis'n World or Mario Kart 64 for our racing fix because they were way more pick and play.

Edit: That being said, with how powerful consoles are now and how much more can be crammed on a screen I'd bet a racer at this speed would be far more legible and controllable than Wipeout or F-Zero were back in the day.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gtxforza

@lego_my_eggo:

Loading Video...

Basically, this installment is a spin-off, so instead of players controlling their Anti-Gravity ship, they select the cards for their next moves.

Similar to Tekken Card Tournament where players select the cards for their fighter's next movement.