• 155 results
glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By glots

So out of the two games that arrived to my doorstep today, I figured that I needed something relaxing to play after a hard day of work. So choosing from between Mario Odyssey and The New Colossus, the result was obvious.

I've only played the opening hour so far, so not a whole lot. Gameplay wise it feels familiar, just more smoothened out...and visceral. Having an axe replace the knife as a melee weapon should say as much. Fortunately the gameplay isn't the only thing that steps it up.

The New Order was already playing around with a story that had a serious tone to it, with some dark humour splashed on to it every now and then, together with bombastic action. The New Colossus very much embraces that mixture and the whole opening is a rollercoaster of different emotions. I wouldn't be surprised if some people will find it jarring at one point, but I'm enjoying the grotesque display a whole lot and can't wait to see what they have in store, when the opening alone goes this crazy.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ugh, i have to go back and finish the first one still but this game looks great.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Gosh, I can't wait. Tomorrow is going to be incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm so excited. Glad to see those claims about the length of the campaign being only 5-7 hours was bullshit. 11-16 hours sounds about the same as New Order depending on how much time you wanna spend with the collectables and all of that.

New Colossus looks so much more pulpy and over the top than New Order, I just hope they manage to land most of what they are going for.

ciscoidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hoo boy. Absolutely picking this up.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Why does it have to release the same day as Mario Odyssey! Pick any other day Wolfenstein!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

It's just kind of unfortunate Wolfenstein and Assassin's Creed got released on the same day as Odyssey. I feel like all attention is on Odyssey (I'm not saying that game doesn't deserve it, though), despite how good the other ones might be. My brother preordered Super Mario, so I guess I'm going through that first, though now if I had gotten all games at once, it would have been the last considering I think it's the longest. I originally thought AC would take the most time.

Dooley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dooley

I am having a blast with this game so far. Only a few hours in but it's just as fun if not more than the last one.

ImGrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ImGrifter

@ezekiel: Lol if you think that was bad, just wait until you play through the rest of the game. It gets pretty ridiculous

the47ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: haha that was one stupid ass cut scene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: I only looked at a couple of frames to not spoil myself too much, but damn they are really going for it. Can't wait to play this thing.

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Yep. Those two games are now on the "wait for a steam sale" list thanks to Odyssey. Wolfenstein and the new AC would both be day one buys if they came out a month apart. I wish more games would come out during the mid year lull.

thepenguin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thepenguin55

I think I'm going to be one of those people who actually waits for the Switch version. The winter release schedule is so loaded that I have to trim off something.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kcin
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the first one and I really want to play this one but for the next week or two I'll be preoccupied with Super Mario Odyssey. I will at least try to play this by the end of the year so there is something to look forward to.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a recent Switch owner, I am picking this up over Mario. Mario isnt going on sale anytime soon and I want to support this at full-price.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 100% ready for this. Even if I had a Switch and Mario, I would still be playing this first. I'm very curious about the story and the world building. Combined with whatever insanity goes along with it.

@kcin said:
@ezekiel said:

unladylike

lol

Lol, someone didn't find the diaries in the previous game.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mellotronrules

@ezekiel: gotta say i'm the polar opposite. this looks fucking ridic and i'm 1000% into it.

also- sincerely hope that's a sarcastic use of 'unladylike.'

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By TheHT

Well then, seems like a good time to get through that Wyatt timeline.

@ezekiel: lmao fucking amazing.
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. dumb thing to say

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ezekiel

@paulmako said:

I'm 100% ready for this. Even if I had a Switch and Mario, I would still be playing this first. I'm very curious about the story and the world building. Combined with whatever insanity goes along with it.

@kcin said:
@ezekiel said:

unladylike

lol

I read some of them. Forgot almost all of them. Diaries and audio logs aren't an interesting way to communicate information. Especially in a freaking action game.

@frostyryan said:
@mellotronrules said:

Agreed. dumb thing to say

You're making it really hard not to get banned.

@mellotronrules said:

Why would I be sarcastic? A lady doesn't throw off her shirt in public. I don't care about the reason. The reason is only there to justify cheesy nudity. And OF COURSE she doesn't wear a bra or shirt beneath. She wouldn't be jumping around like that pregnant anyway. I liked her in the last game.

Edit: Looking at it again, I noticed she is wearing a sweater beneath. She has no reason to throw that off too. It would just take longer to lift it over her head. TERRIBLE.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That clip is so fucking incredible that I'm sad I have to put it off until I'm done with Mario Odyssey.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheHT
@ezekiel said:
@paulmako said:

@kcin said:
@ezekiel said:

unladylike

lol

I read some of them. Forgot almost all of them. Diaries and audio logs aren't an interesting way to communicate information. Especially in a freaking action game.

To be fair, they're some of the best written stuff in that game (noteworthy when the game overall is very well written). Also you didn't need to find them, she'd just give em to you periodically during missions.

Here they are if you'd like to read them. To summarize: she really hates Nazis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: She was never ladylike in the first game though. She was never written or supposed to act like a lady, whatever that means. She's a nazi killer just like BJ. And cheesy nudity? Yes, definitely. The game is cheesy and absurd, it's over the top, it's a Tarantino movie made into a video game. It's pulp smut, it's gore and violence.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong said:

@ezekiel: She was never ladylike in the first game though. She was never written or supposed to act like a lady, whatever that means. She's a nazi killer just like BJ. And cheesy nudity? Yes, definitely. The game is cheesy and absurd, it's over the top, it's a Tarantino movie made into a video game. It's pulp smut, it's gore and violence.

That's an insult to Tarantino. The last game wasn't this desperate. It was bearable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Perhaps. I'm not saying MachineGames are nailing what they are trying to do, but playing through New Order I definitely got the sense that they are going for that kind of cinematic tone. Some of it was hit and miss for me, but I would also describe some of Tarantino's work similarly.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

...Back on topic, I'm looking forward to playing this over Christmas. Got too much on my plate now to consider another game purchase.

halodude442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fucking hyped for this. This game is way up my alley and I loved the first one too. Midnight can't get here fast enough

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
A lady doesn't throw off her shirt in public.

dude she is getting shot at by fire-breathing nazi war machines, not walking down the fucking promenade

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After E3, I went dark on Mario, and Wolfenstein II. I had the chance to pre order a PC copy for $38. I won't play it until I finish South Park, and Mario, but I think this is my most anticipated game of the year. 2017 has been an incredible year.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that bothers me is that I will probably pause Shadow of War over this. And I am finding Shadow of War fun.

As for Mario, I do not own a Switch. If I did, I would probably choose Wolfen. 2. But I am, after today, a whole lot closer to buying a Switch.

Still, I am waiting a day or two for reviews and pc bug removal.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By Atwa

Is it me, or is the tone in this game very different from the first? The first game was actually quite self serious all things considered. Like the choice you make in the start of the first game is super intense, or the long monologues by BJ throughout the entire game are quite somber. This seems way more wacky.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa said:

Is it me, or is the tone in this game very different from the first? The first game was actually quite self serious all things considered. Like the choice you make in the start of the first game is super intense, or the long monologues by BJ throughout the entire game are quite somber. This seems way more wacky.

That's what I mean.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Barrock

Glad to hear this turned out well. I got to the hospital section of the first and stopped. Should I continue? Does it pick up from there?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36 chaser324  Moderator

@barrock said:

Glad to hear this turned out well. I got to the hospital section of the first and stopped. Should I continue? Does it pick up from there?

Yes. That opening WWII level is not at all representative of the rest of the game.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:
@mellotronrules said:

Why would I be sarcastic?

maybe because the context is a murderous nazi robot dog has set her clothing on fire and you're worried about decorum? what exactly would be ladylike way to kill nazi war-machines anyway?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheHT

@atwa said:

Is it me, or is the tone in this game very different from the first? The first game was actually quite self serious all things considered. With the long monologues by BJ. This seems way more wacky.

It feels like what that world's 60s would develop into once people started really laying into the Nazis. And also just, you know, being in America.

The first game very much had that vibe near the start of trying to get people to raise a hand to the boot that's been well planted on their necks for years, but even then it's very much "killing Nazis is what I do, so that's what I'm gonna keep doing." As the resistance shapes up and the scenarios got crazier it started to come further into its own crazy pulpiness. Something so quirky and bizarre and earnest that The New Collosus comes across as a believably natural progression.

There definitely seems to have been an unseen ramping up between the two, but you can see that common pulpy sensiblity back in the first game. Things like BJ and Anya fuckin while everyone gets annoying waiting for them to finish, and J's big moment at the end. Also giant mechanized war hounds and a freakin Nazi moonbase.

I expect they'll keep the internal monologues, or hopefully anyways; they were a surprisingly great part of that first game. But that was also where a lot of the somberness came from, and I don't remember getting the vibe that the game'd be like that based on the trailers for the first one.

@barrock said:

1000%

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just read the plot on Wikipedia. It's bad.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: There is nothing more American than being okay with gratuitous violence while simultaneously being upset about nudity.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By UncleDisco

Just wanted to add that, if someone is having issues with G-Sync not working in this game, try checking your monitor settings. The game apperently didn't like that I cloned my monitor to my TV, so I turned that off and G-Sync was working again. Never been a problem in other games, so it might be a iD Tech engine issue with that kind of monitor setup.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: There was a sex scene in New Order where they were literally doing it in a closet where everyone could here.

This is a lady who fell in love with a comatose Nazi killer and became a Nazi killer and kinda gets off on it from her story.

I honestly see a similarity between her and The Boss from MGS3 in this sense.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: The last scene in the first video is them having sex in a storage room and the people outside the door can hear them and want to get on with the mission. That's not really all that different from what's going on in the second video. The second one is obviously meant to be a joke, but the content isn't really any worse. I was referring to nudity, though, because that's what people were talking about.

Fair enough. As an American, I've seen a whole lot of conversations around art go this way.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shouldn't some of these posts be spoiler tagged or mark spoilers in the title?

AdamJensen80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going to buy it later on PS Store and I have no doubts The New Colossus is going to be a shooter of the year.

Never been a Bethesda fan, but full credits to them, they gave MachineGames so much freedom here. Add to that no microtransactions, no lootboxes, not even a stupid multi-player, this is a true single-player heaven.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheHT

OhmygodImsohype. I'll probably get around to this in November, but goddamn it I can't wait.

Kinda worried a YouTube thumbnail that showed up in my Recommended was a big spoiler though.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just looking at the difficulty and this is all i could think of....
Just looking at the difficulty and this is all i could think of....

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By l4wd0g

I thought Bethesda wasn't sending out early review copies of their games. I'm glad to have the reviews, just surprised.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t expect this will be an issue but some of he marketing was clearly targeting people who react to current events by misusing the word “Nazi” (mostly misuse anyway, with occasional and convenient not intentional lapses). Any impression that this sort of “topical” shit wormed it’s way into the game? I’m guessing it’s been in development for too long for much of any to go in there. I just want to kill actual genocide perpetrators on the moon, not listen to poorly formed conceptions or interpretations of current events or issues on the moon. It’s gunna be a bit before I can get the game but I can’t wait to play through it. I loved that first one and I really dig the new timeperiod and feel they’ve given off in he trailers.

@bladeofcreation: There’s nothing more American than accusing a foreigner of being stereotypically American because they have different opinions than you.

Notice how silly that sounds? People have different opinions from you everywhere in the world!

It’s okay for someone to feel that the nudity was unnecessary in the context. You don’t need to insult people or countries of residence.

The game is pulpy, it uses sex for more than artistic value, and some people will be uncomfortable with the way it is used for one reason or another. It’s not like they just happened to have a naked woman on screen. When do I get to see Willy’s Willy when he gets lit up by a flamethrower?

It doesn’t bother me at all but it does seem odd that people are exaggerating, in some cases I believe, how kosher the scene is. There was no need to have nudity. I think it’s fine to have it there but it’s not hard to guess what the motivations are behind that move. Sure, maybe they wanted her to get lit up and just had to go uber realistic and do what you do with a burn victim and get the clothes away from the skin as they carry most of the fuel for the fire at that point. But then we’re talking about the franchise with a Nazi moon base. And we’re talking about using female sex appeal in one way or another.