The Wrestling Discussion Thread

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jaynes looks good. She can sell and yeah for little experience her ring presence and confidence is high level. Impressed.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#44202  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Both shows were fun tonight.

If that Drake Maverick thing is a work its the most disgusting promotional tactic of the year in a walk, if its a shoot then it doesn't erase the fact that they still fired 50+ people in the middle of a pandemic during their most profitable year ever.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Dynamite was an enjoyable two hours. Opening tag match was my favourite match of the night. One minus was Cody getting busted open in the last match. Didn't need it in my opinion. Blood can be good, but a lot of Cody matches end up with it out of nowhere

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title should be called the Three Star Championship, since it seems like a vehicle for Cody to prove that he can have a mediocre match with anyone.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44205  Edited By redwing42

Dr. Britt Baker DMD, Roll Model skits are hilarious, and I almost hope we get some sort of a heel turn (even if unwitting) out of Schiavone at this point. Just like Hangman, I didn't really care much for her at the start, and they have done a great job of making her very entertaining. Opening tag was great, but I was hoping for a bit more out of Jericho-Cabana. Had some good spots, but it was lacking something for me. I am hoping that the eventual Jericho-Cassidy match is as great as it could be.

Avatar image for halfpastwhenever
halfpastwhenever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42: Yes! DBBDMD is amazing - the vignette along with the confrontation with Big Swole was golden -“you can’t hit me, I’m injured!”

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The booking logic of Io winning makes 0 sense and I hope Rhea isn't hurt.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44208  Edited By Shiftygism

@dizzyhippos: Didn't watch, but her winning was likely related in part to those reports awhile back that she wanted to leave due to her long distance relationship with Evil which I imagine has been extra rough during the pandemic.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: The only way it makes booking sense in WWE is if Rhea and Charlotte are about to be main roster bound. Which going by the fact that Charlotte is taking like 85% of this match against Asuka I would say thats a strong chance.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#44210  Edited By Milkman
Loading Video...

NJPW is back on June 15 with nine shows all streamed live with no audience between then and July 3. The New Japan Cup will happen on these shows featuring heavyweight and junior heavyweight wrestlers. The finals with be at Osaka-jo Hall on July 11 with fans at 30% capacity and the winner will face Naito for the IWGP and IC titles the next night also in Osaka.

The New Japan Cup first round matches are:

Yota Tsuji vs. Togi Makabe

El Desperado vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Jado vs. Toru Yano

Tomoaki Honma vs. Hiromu Takahashi

Gedo vs. Kazuchika Okada

Minoru Suzuki vs. Yuji Nagata

Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Yuya Uemura

Gabriel Kidd vs. Taiji Ishimori

Taichi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kota Ibushi

SANADA vs. Ryusuke Taguchi

Shingo Takagi vs. SHO

Hiroysohi Tenzan vs. YOSHI-HASHI

BUSHI vs. YOH

EVIL vs. Satoshi Kojima

Yujiro Takahashi vs. Hirooki Goto

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

If Darby Allin isn't in THPS 1+2 I will be very disappointed.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was that the first golden shower to take place on WWE programming? Seems like something that should have happened years ago. I guess there was that time Regal drank piss...

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

@brian_: HBK got you covered

Loading Video...

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching the NJPW special after not seeing NJPW for 3 months you forget how frickin STIFF NJPW style of wrestling is. Also the 3 young lions on the show were better workers then a lot of 10 year vets in america.

Tonights the start of the post paul heyman era so it will be "interesting" to see who gets dropped like a bad habit, and it will be doubly interesting to see what a scripted version of Matt Riddle is on Friday... because I dont see that dude reading off a script working out (mostly because his eyes are too bloodshot).

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44216  Edited By Dizzyhippos

In wrestling news, David Starr has been Canceled. AEW continues to be good, and NXT felt like RAW

Loading Video...

this killed me

Edit: Glad to see the whole "its a marathon not a sprint" mentality is still going strong and they totally are not rushing a double gold dash clone that just so happens to take place the same day as Fyter Fest... totally a coincidence.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck David Starr, less said about that the better.

As for AEW, cool to see that they got Ricky Starks, he was way too good for NWA. He even got a good match out of Cody.

One of my favourite running jokes in wrestling is the way AEW skirts around WWE owning Billy Gunn. "Billy, of the Gunn Club", "Billy and his son Austin Gunn" and so on. It's just so dumb funny to me.

Once again, just get rid of JR. He's not getting any better, people claiming he is are just getting used to him. He actively makes the show worse and constantly just seems unexcited and buries wrestlers/moves he doesn't like. He's not just a complete waste of space, he's a negative.

Doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: they also do that with Cody because wwe they say Cody and Brandi Rhodes. Is JR as good as he once was no but he is better than marvez. I wouldn't be surprised if Dark expands to 2 hrs on Tnt at sometime because they do have quite a few announcers.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doerr007 said:

@retris: Is JR as good as he once was no but he is better than marvez.

I don't think we need a 3 man booth honestly. Unless Jericho suddenly retires. Excalibur and Tony would be money by themselves and their enthusiasm would be infectious.

Doerr007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is going to tell JR to hang up the cowboy hat though as his legend status keeps him secure no matter his body of work last few years. I mean JR is still better than Michael Cole.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Audio of dogs shitting is better than Michael Cole so that doesn't mean much to me. JR can have his moments but his bad ones actively detract from the product. Especially when it comes to women.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The note passing pulley thing had me laughing way more than it should have. Honestly I've never been particularly convinced by Britt Baker as a performer, but she's starting to grow on me.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44224  Edited By ToughShed

The Taz line about him and Cage sitting around drinking whey in their trailer as big guy stuff really cracked me up. Taz is doing great and I'm glad they found him a role since the booth is so crowded.

I usually like JR but it wasn't a good week for him. I do think some people in here are getting caught on some of the storyline pushing the commentators are doing. Some of the "burying" moves mentioned were for storyline reasons clearly but it was not done clearly enough. I felt like JR was doing a good job kind of trying to fit into the modern fold more until the last couple of weeks.

But again some of this is getting in the storyline so. They are pushing Cody fighting every week as as storyline in itself (him overworking himself and risking too much) and the relationship with coach Arn more, meanwhile there's the whole FTR v Young Bucks thing with FTR going in on a lot of the fancy Young Bucks signature moves and the knee slap thing.

I like how they are doing manager promos lately too with letting the wrestlers themselves get some words in for themselves as well. They've done that with Archer a bit lately as well and hope they keep it going.

Anyways, with Taz around they easily have a next up available for commentary so we'll see what happens. Taz is great.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck its hard being a wrestling fan right now.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drakoji: Yeah, holy shit it's just a total garbage fire of garbage people finally getting their comeuppance.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44229  Edited By ToughShed

@niko_of_death said:

https://www.wwe.com/article/jack-gallagher-released

Well I guess that's ex-friend of the show now.

Seeing him get immediately canned vs all other talk going around (and how AEW handled it by comparison with Havoc) definitely feels like them throwing a bone so this goes away to me.

Nothing with the old Velveteen Dream story was ever settled was it? He wasn't canned for that and nothing has been talked about the story for weeks.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@niko_of_death said:

https://www.wwe.com/article/jack-gallagher-released

Well I guess that's ex-friend of the show now.

Seeing him get immediately canned vs all other talk going around (and how AEW handled it by comparison with Havoc) definitely feels like them throwing a bone so this goes away to me.

Nothing with the old Velveteen Dream story was ever settled was it? He wasn't canned for that and nothing has been talked about the story for weeks.

A bunch of new stuff came out about Dream today, I'd be very surprised if he was able to dodge them.

Also, while I have no way of knowing for sure, my assumption was Jack simply had no defense (legitimate or not), whereas the others did.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44231  Edited By ToughShed

@niko_of_death: I'm in support of dealing with this stuff for sure I just do not trust WWE. We will see.

I'm glad women are speaking out for themselves.

Personally I did like how AEW handled the Havoc situation right now.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we really surprised that there are tons of scumbags in the scummiest, most carny-ass business on the planet?

Reptil3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44235  Edited By Retris

@nathanstack: I don't think people are surprised, just saddened. Saddened not by their favourites getting ousted, but just the inevitability of this whole ordeal.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44237  Edited By Dizzyhippos

WARDLOW vs Luchasarus was dope and you should seek it out. At some point we are gonna get WARDLOW vs They call him Cage and it will be great.

Itsamarathonnotasprint.gif

Random thing, I didn't see Velveteen Dream on NXT this week, I watch NXT without sound and only half paying attention so its entirely possible that I just missed him, or maybe Dream is really over.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if Fyter Fest is even going to happen or if they will all need to shut down again. Well, they certainly need to, but I guess the question is if they actually will.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wardlow has been such a pleasant surprise. He was a complete unknown and the matches he's had that weren't just squashes have been real good. Luchasaurus on the other hand just keeps on being a phenomenal big guy.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44240  Edited By ToughShed

Wardlow and Luchasaurus was fun. My one complaint with Luchsaurus is I wish that he would do more traditional wrestling moves. I love the kicks and the high flying stuff he does but you have to mix it up. More Wardlow is great. I was sold on the guy when he did that Senton in the Cody match.

FTR I hadn't seen before they got to AEW but just from this match now I'm a big fan. I was so into the match. Daniels was also great in the match. I'm really enjoying them bouncing off the tag team division right now. I know them v Bucks will be cool but I am really excited to see them v Omega and Hangman as well.

Janela and Kiss had been solid before as a team but their match was great on this show. Together they sold so well for Brodie. Kiss has been really impressing me and glad he's getting a chance. He sells like crazy and the strength is impressive. Its cool to see that representation in wrestling too and it feels totally genuine. I like the Brodie and Colt storyline.

I also thought the Shida squash was so well done and I am really impressed by her lately. On a roll. And cool Ford is getting a big chance.

Sucks it seems hard to imagine the Cage v Moxley match going down. I've been enjoying Cage and want to see him wrestle in a real match.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that I feel like doesn't get discussed enough is that Frankie Kazarian could do with a switching of styles. I feel like he's wrestling a lot like he used to when I started watching him 20 years ago. But back then he was in his 20's, now he's over 40. And I'm not even trying to diss him, I just came to the realisation watching both his matches this week and the best parts of those matches (from him) were his wild lariats. He has world class lariats and is actually a great brawler, he should lean into that.

I dunno, might just be the fact that I love when veterans become brawlers. L.A. Park, I'm looking at you.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized that I came here to post that due to allegations against Quack, CHIKARA is shutting down and most wrestlers had quit the company before that. Hopefully the immensely talented wrestlers there find success.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be interesting to see what that means for the game they were developing as I believe it was headed to consoles this fall.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And apparently Impact is done with Tessa now, as she has ghosted them during the pandemic.

Drakoji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: I think she wanted to AEW, but burning bridges like that won't play out super well to AEW management.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drakoji: Its a weird situation with Tessa, if she goes to WWE no one will bat an eye at them signing a problematic person but she will likely be stuck in NXT for a few years "learning to wrestle" even though shes better than a lot of the women they have already. But if she goes to AEW Tony Khan is gonna catch a massive amount of shit for signing a problematic person... but on the other hand she would easily be the 2nd best wrestler on the roster behind Shida until the Joshi's come back.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44247  Edited By ToughShed

@dizzyhippos said:

But if she goes to AEW Tony Khan is gonna catch a massive amount of shit for signing a problematic person

and rightfully so. good riddance to her, she's a scumbag. That would basically get me to turn off AEW all together at this point and be such a blatant move after her firing.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty excited for Fyter Fest night 1. I expect the Jurassic Express match to be a great match. Personally expecting Hager v Cody to be lackluster (too much Cody lately to me and Hager hasn't really entertained me in the ring in AEW).

Although Best Friends v Omega and Hangman hasn't exactly had some classic build, it can obviously be a great match. On paper not that exciting but I wouldn't bet against Kenny.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are going to do a title change for the event, tag titles seems most likely. Personally, I think that will be a great match and would love to see the Best Friends win. I hope that Moxley will be in a position to have his match on week 2. I also agree there has been too much Cody. I like some of the stories that he has build since AEW has started, but every week is way too much.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42: Kinda feels like its time to do something else with Kenny and the Hangman, may as well get the belts off them and turn one the tag division is honestly too insanely stacked for them to hang onto them much longer.