The Wrestling Discussion Thread

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Average episode of Dynamite, wasn't bad but the bar they set for themselves as a show is very very high.

I hope Jade is better in the ring then she is on the mic.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some good matches on AEW this week. Couldn't stop staring at Moxley's jacked up eye. Anyone else see that? Looked like he popped a blood vessel or something.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I'm guessing it was Pac that was originally scheduled to face Moxley for the title at Full Gear, seeing as how he showed up immediately after the PPV. His trip probably got delayed a few weeks or something.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That PAC return would've been way more effective if they didn't have that vignette last week. Expected it as soon as they said Penta/Fenix would close the show.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A play in 3 tweets...

AEW is doing Thunder Rosa vs Deeb for the NWA title this week, which to me seems like their yearly DQ finish that they have to do.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm guessing she wasn't let go for tweeting out her support for unionization. I'm guessing it happened the other way around. She probably knew she was being released, and decided to tweet that out as a result. Wasn't she still doing her social media stuff after WWE hijacked everyone's accounts? I thought I read that some where? Don't get me wrong, fuck Vince McMahon. Fuck how he runs his business. Fuck his "independent contractors" bullshit. But that seems like the more plausible order of events to me.

Either way, good on Zelina. Hopefully more people there start telling Vince McMahon "No".

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

The way I read it was that she wasn't willing to hand over / close some social media accounts, such as OnlyFans, and that's the reason she's been released. The timing of her tweet was utter chef kiss though, because it brought so much more attention to her release than there would of been otherwise, so I don't blame her for it one bit.

The other thing I've seen a few places is that she was earning more money off of stuff like Twitch and OnlyFans than her WWE Contract was getting her, so I doubly don't blame her for not wanting to let WWE have a cut of something she'd built up herself.

I am curious what Paige will do now though.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I apologize for mild spoilers but holy shit, Joe Doering is in Impact Wrestling right now! I've been wondering when a US company would sign him up, and he's a terrific get from Impact. I have a hard time thinking of a better power wrestler in wrestling currently.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44710  Edited By Gundato

So apparently people are excited that SAGAFTRA (actor union, basically) are commenting on wanting to reach out to wrestlers.

While it would be great if they got any protections or benefits, I am pretty sure this is going to end bad. Internally we will see lots of discouragement ranging from the "you can't prove anything" ("Well Corbin, we need to stop your push because the crowd totally likes Jinder a lot more. Hey everyone, Corbin has a lot more time to tell you how great unions are now that he isn't champion and is wrestling Al Black once a month. Hey Al, what do people want? Head, ha ha. That is good shit") to the outright illegal (terminating half the roster's contracts because they unionized). And I doubt AEW is going to be that much better (hopefully more of the former than the latter)

And not sure how tight margins are on the indies are and how likely wrestlers are to be able to pay registration and annual dues. Or what this will mean for pay rates for the smaller promotions. Its hard to imagine big name TV wrestlers wanting to go back to the VFW circuit but could lead to issues down the line where moving up to a "big" promotion like ROH basically means you can never do the super budget ones anymore. Although I guess I don't know how SAG and international stuff works.

Although, this now has me wondering about the production/setup crew. There is no way that the people who set up and tear down stages are union workers, right? That has to be another one of those loopholes carny companies use that we just don't focus on because Joe the Tarp Guy doesn't have perfectly chiseled abs. Assuming traveling shows are ever a thing again, I can imagine that hurting the bottom line even more than basic workers' rights for the performers.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44712  Edited By brian_

Jeff Hardy's entrance theme showed up on a Colbert segment, and I went down a hole trying to figure out how that happened. I didn't realize WWE licensed that song. I just figured it was a Jim Johnston joint like everything else was at the time. The more you know...

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dynamite was good again tonight, PAC vs Blade and Kip vs Orange didn't need to be as long as they were but other then that no complaints. Big ups to them for (FINALLY) booking multiple angles in the womens division.

Not a fan of NXT making the North American title a joke or turning Cameron Grimes into a comedy geek but Rhea vs Io was great and you should seek it out.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44714  Edited By redwing42

Just catching up on Dynamite, and while I know complaining about JR is kind of beating a dead horse, can he just get out with that "bake sale" comment? What is the point, really?

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42: That one really had my brain doing back flips. It's not the worst thing he's said, but it was so utterly stupid to say that about a fan club for female wrestling fan, that exist purely to get away from that exact thing. Between that and the 3 seconds of silence from the rest of the announce team after he said that, I couldn't help but laugh out of pure cringey uncomfortableness.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@brian_: @redwing42: Yeah that comment in particular was like, a huge oof. Came out of nowhere too, and it's just so odd he's not more accustomed to seeing these sorts of things. Real sports teams have had these kinds of clubs for female fans for ages now and it has done great work in bringing out and showcasing the fan diversity.

It's so weird too because of late I've been feeling like JR has generally been on point. Most of his I'm outdated style reactions have been more comedic in nature, and fitting to what was on the screen without taking away from it. He's had the odd blunder but nothing quite as bad as this which was facepalm worthy and cringey awkward as pointed out.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that AEW now has wrestlers have a match with Nakazawa as penance for slips.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Gonna go out on a limb and say the two women that Ivie and Diamante wrestled were in fact better then Ivie and Diamante.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really think of a worse possible commentary team than Josh Matthews and Matt Striker. But here we are and they were this weeks team on Impact.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't they use to call ECW together? I feel like that that was something that most have happened.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44721  Edited By Dizzyhippos

AEW was good again this week, they don't always hit home runs but they very rarely strike out. Looking back on the past year of AEW the two big complaints were the womens division felt aimless and they had no big men. They now have multiple womens stories going and hella big men so big thumbs up.

Also tonight convinced me that KENTA is gonna be the guy that killed Mox.

Also worth reminding everyone that the Thanksgiving before Dynamite last year did a terrible live number but a huge DVR number so don't be shocked if this show does poorly.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't help but find it kind of funny/sad, that the only belt AEW has managed to make matter is a comedy belt on BTE. Every other belt has been booked into having zero excitement around them. You've got the heavyweight belt that has had Moxley having his first proper defence next Dynamite (and let's be real, we know he's losing that belt), then we have the women's belt that's completely forgotten about with Shida just having no credible opponent, tag titles where none of the important tag feuds really deal with them and then finally the TV belt that's currently playing second fiddle to Cody living his Triple H dreams.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

As I said!

Also, I learned that Jimmy Rave is retiring. The reason is (CW) his hand was amputated due to an infection. Fucking sucks.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this crossover does nothing other then give banger tag matches and prove that AEW can be trusted to book other promotions talent I am fine with this.

I have been saying it and I will repeat it to my dying breath, WWE is going to try and eat everyone and the best way to fight that is to work together.

Also fucks sake sign Leyla Hirsch.

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@dizzyhippos:

Shocked at Sting showing up in AEW. I wonder what he has to say next week on Dynamite. Definitely watching Dynamite next week to see how Sting is used either as a manager or backstage producer.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah glad to have been able to catch up on the show earlier than usual this week. The Sting debut is silly, and wild and dumb and, and....it just leans into the "this is WCW" aspect of the show. But fuck it, if he manages someone, maybe has a few fun matches with some stables or something it could be fun.

Kenny winning and the Impact setup is just...."eh." The Kenny win was a fun match, I just don't know how great it will be going from one long face title reign to what is now likely to be one long heel title reign. I've also never been huge on Impact, so if this is a parternship or AEW is doing something more with them in large I'll wait and see. I like some of their tag division for sure, so it could work out well.

Pretty good show though overall, the battle royal was fun and setup a lot. Giving the tag match a big debut moment like that gave it more importance and also helped really elevate Team FTW (I hate the Team Taz name) as heels. The Bucks stuff is yikes though. Going from FTR and that great tag match to feuding TH2 is just not working for me. I've seen Jack Evans at various point in his career and, I just can't. Not with the way they present him. He's not a menacing bully or a heel at all. The Bucks to me are basically the HBK of Tag Teams. They show up around once a year to deliver an epic match and then are relatively okay to average for much of the rest of the year.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AEW still trending No 1 on twitter 4hours after the show ended... and like every AEW tag team is tweeting out MCMG.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Kenny is going to reunite with The Goodbrothers?

Will Sami Callahan reunite with Jon Moxley?

Young Bucks vs MCMG?

Idk, I think this has potential to be fun. I guess I can say Iā€™m looking forward to seeing Impact for once.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I wish I got what people see in Darby

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwheeeler:He has a genuine aura of coolness in wrestling where most people are just nerds trying to pretend they're cool (aka the Triple H effect). He is also a terrific underdog babyface that knows how to get an audience behind him.

I think the title change is pretty much a good boiling down of why AEW's booking of titles just sucks. First off, people were predicting Omega as the next champ even before he lost the tag belts. Then you have the match itself, which was incredibly boring. Sure, it was technically sound, but there was no substance there, it was just all filler. Then the end of the match was incredibly telegraphed and took WAY TOO LONG. Then, surprising no one, Kenny wins. AND THEN we get the only important part of the match, the reveal of the Impact wrestling crossover. Something genuinely interesting and exciting and the belt itself is just tangentially related to it.

Ps. Holy shit, think of all the possible matches:

• Butcher and the Blade vs. XXXL.
  • Su Yung vs. Shida (please just put Su Yung instead of Abaddon in the storyline and pretend nothing happened)
  • Eric Young vs. Mox
  • Willie Mack vs. MJF!
  • BRODIE LEE vs. JOE DOERING!
  • MOOSE!
cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

@bwheeeler:He has a genuine aura of coolness in wrestling where most people are just nerds trying to pretend they're cool (aka the Triple H effect).

I don't know man, the second part of that sentence kind of completely describes how Darby and most of the roster comes across to me.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man I wish I got what people see in Darby

What I like about him is that he wrestles with a total lack of regard for his own safety. Almost all his moves look like they hurt him as much as they do his opponent, and that is a nice change of style to most of the rest of the roster. He isn't my favorite, but I think he earns his spot.