Wrestlemania 2000 or No Mercy? (N64)

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey gang,

I've recently moved into my own place, and I'm eager to dig out my N64 and relive my childhood by playing some classic wrestling games.

What do you guys think is the superior N64 game for wrestling? I remember playing a LOT of both of these games, but can't remember which was better. I'm talking about playing single player stuff, with my own created guy!

Thanks!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

WM2000 was a much bigger leap from Revenge than No Mercy was from WM2k and I feel like WM might've had a lil better vibe but No Mercy is probably a better package overall. The branching story mode was pretty meaty too.

Hard choice. I'd probably mess with WM for a bit and than play the No Mercy's story mode. (Dig-dig-dig-diggity dig-diggity dog)

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

I played the crap out of Wrestlemania 2000, so by the time No Mercy came out I really didn't feel like it was that huge of an improvement. If you're coming at the games fresh, then I can see the argument for No Mercy, but purely by nostalgia and what it was like to play the games at the time, I'd have to go with Wrestlemania 2000.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By shiftygism

I don't think No Mercy had Big Show as he was sent to OVW during that time, I can't remember if 2000 had backstage brawls (No Mercy does), No Mercy had ladder matches, but a lower framerate and a infuriating memory wiping glitch that was later addressed with later copies of the game. I prefer No Mercy as it had a bigger roster (including the Dudleys, Eddie, Benoit, etc.) but that glitch is bad news, and finding one of the corrected carts is gonna be expensive. If you have a decent pc, you should probably just look into some of the awesome mods folks have done and continue to put out...

Loading Video...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm biased, because 2000 was "my game" and I sunk stupid amounts of time into it (I have a career in progress right now, even. It's video game comfort food), but No Mercy, despite essentially being the same game but more of it, just never felt right to me.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I’m a HUGE fan of AKI’s N64 grapplers.

My personal ranking:

1. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2

2. WCW/NWO Revenge

3. Virtual Pro Wrestling

4 . WCW/NWO World Tour

5. Wrestlemania 2000

6. No Mercy

VPW2 had a great mix of styles, a huge roster, AI editing, the ability to assign attributes to moves (making a spear make blood pour out of someone’s face was a nonsense favorite of mine). It took everything that AKI learned over the years, prioritized performance (my biggest gripe with the WWF games), and just played like a champ.

Revenge amped up the difficulty, added a nice replay system, and had those belt modes. It also looked much better than prior games and added types of moves.

Skipping down to the WWF games, they prioritized squeezing iffy story modes, iffy intros, videos, and enterence songs, and corny of-the-era nonsense over gameplay and performance. I played the hell out of them, but I think they’re the weakest looking back now.

My kid is also a VPW2 guy, though WCW/NWO World Tour seems to be his second favorite. World Tour had a great system, was a fun party game, but had all this hidden depth.

Amazing run of games, all things considered...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I liked Smackdown 2. It's the best us Playstation plebs had. Although War Zone's cutscenes were great.