2K had Dr. Tracksuit in a WWE 2K16 trailer (now removed)

• 149 results
#101 Edited by ClockworkTony (482 posts) -

@beaudacious said:

The only thing sadder then this "drama" is that wrestling is still relevant enough in 2015 to warrant a video game. Can we please let Tony Hawk and Wrestling die in peace, and move on with our lives.

Nah.

No Caption Provided

#102 Posted by JauntyHat (378 posts) -

Christ, it's like nobody has a sense of humour anymore.

The amount of butthurt in this thread is kinda humorous. It was more than likely a friendly insert and people here immediately start calling for legal action?

#103 Posted by Mike (17998 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

The amount of butthurt in this thread is kinda humorous. It was more than likely a friendly insert and people here immediately start calling for legal action?

Jeff himself didn't even like it, and the trailer has already been changed and no longer features that character.

#104 Posted by darkvare (1029 posts) -

now i'm sad i din't saw the original trailer :C

#105 Posted by Arragonder (5 posts) -

@turboman Well played good sir, well played.:

#106 Posted by Jarno (97 posts) -

For a franchise that is based heavily on getting permission and properly licensing the use of characters from the WWE, it is bizarre that anyone there could think they could just take someone else's character without permission.

#107 Posted by SARRISS (222 posts) -

Whoever did this is likely a fan of Jeff and thought this would be funny. I'd imagine he's not happy that Jeff isn't diggin it. If this was a game series Jeff liked then this might have gone over better.

#108 Posted by YummyTreeSap (1218 posts) -

Man, I genuinely love a lot of what Polygon produces, but it seems more and more that their frequently hilarious, insightful and entertaining video and written features are completely in stark contrast from the trashy, publish anything approach of their news team.

Owen Good and Brian Crecente need to get their shit together ASAP.

Yeah, Polygon is a site of stark contrasts for sure. Everything touched by Phil Kollar, Nick Robinson, and/or the McElroys is among my favorite stuff on the Internet, but holy shit is some of the other stuff on that site a goddamn abyss.

#109 Posted by Fezz (205 posts) -

This is a weird industry

#110 Posted by Dixavd (2904 posts) -

Giantbomb Unarchived took a copy of the video before it was privated:

Loading Video...

#111 Posted by Dixavd (2904 posts) -

I don't know how the character creator search worked in the previous games, but I do feel like in a previous quick look they showed somewhere you could see others creations and download them. There was a popular section which was obviously filled with celebrities (mostly wrestlers not officially appearing in the game). I wonder if someone made a Dr Tracksuit in it, then a bunch of people downloaded it via knowing Giant Bomb to put it in the popular feed. Then maybe someone needed a cool looking created character who wasn't a celebrity (as they didn't have the likeness) and looked for the highest popular creation they thought was original - and this came up.

#112 Posted by csl316 (14977 posts) -

Other games have done homages to GB, and that tends to go over ok with the crew. I suppose these guys may have wanted to go the same route and Jeff didn't like it.

Ah well, it's gone and it was a weird couple of hours.

#113 Posted by Mister_V (2443 posts) -

Polygon really is the Daily Mail of video games.

#114 Posted by Mike (17998 posts) -

Thread title has been updated to reflect current status of this...whatever this is.

#115 Posted by Redbullet685 (6481 posts) -

@mike: It appears you changed it to "WWE 2616"

#116 Posted by probablytuna (5008 posts) -

Well it was fun while it lasted.

#117 Posted by Death_Burnout (3847 posts) -

I'm not trying to start any debates or stir up any shit but if we lived in a alternate timeline where the WWE 2K games were actually good, do you guys think Jeff would still have an issue with this scenario?

I think that would absolutely make a difference, but to what degree, I do not know.

I understand the complications of this whole situation but I think some of the joyless people here and on twitter need to lighten up, if anything I feel more bad for the fan who did this clearly without thinking first.

#118 Edited by Sanj (3255 posts) -

Jeff believed it was someone using his likeness to promote the game, which I think is a cynical way to look at it. More likely it was an in-joke by a fan working on the marketing of the game who didn't mean any harm by it. Then this shit happens.

It was a create your own character and appeared for literally a second. You can make Dr Tracksuit in most new wrestling games if you wanted to; they weren't going to sell more copies of the game with that little inclusion. 2k wouldn't have had anything to gain from it, especially considering that Tracksuit has very, VERY, niche appeal, which is why I believe it was done by a well-intentioned fan.

#119 Posted by Mike (17998 posts) -
#120 Edited by newmoneytrash (2440 posts) -

@dixavd: the game isn't out yet, so i doubt it

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#121 Posted by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

I don't know, this seemed like a dumb light thing. Surprised that Jeff took it the way he did (then again, he does dislike the franchise, so maybe that explains a lot).

Jesus Christ Polygon, what are you even doing.

#122 Posted by forteexe21 (2030 posts) -

This would have ended differently if it has a story creator and a custom character can drive a limo and run over another character, like say, Jim Ross.

#123 Posted by yates (509 posts) -

@sanj said:

Jeff believed it was someone using his likeness to promote the game, which I think is a cynical way to look at it. More likely it was an in-joke by a fan working on the marketing of the game who didn't mean any harm by it. Then this shit happens.

It was a create your own character and appeared for literally a second. You can make Dr Tracksuit in most new wrestling games if you wanted to; they weren't going to sell more copies of the game with that little inclusion. 2k wouldn't have had anything to gain from it, especially considering that Tracksuit has very, VERY, niche appeal, which is why I believe it was done by a well-intentioned fan.

Yeah I agree with you here. Nobody was going to buy the game off the back of his fake character likeness being in a custom creator trailer. I like Jeff a lot but I was surprised he took this stance on it.

It was a great nod to Giant Bomb and its fans.

#124 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

@sanj said:

At the rate at which these games are going, it's highly likely that "niche" appeal you talk of and the audience of people actually willing to purchase the game quite likely strongly overlap. The numbers might not number in the millions (or even thousands), but I'm willing to bet it's bigger than you're brushing it off as.

On a more serious note, GB has covered the WWE 2K games numerous times, and Jeff's... "appreciation" for wrestling is no secret, but he doesn't work for and has no direct affiliation with either 2K or WWE. Even if you want to file it under jest/funzies/whatever, it still unfairly puts Jeff in a very uncomfortable position if he says nothing - hence his tweet of "Kind of not OK with someone using something similar to my likeness to promote a franchise that has been so terrible for so long." which is vague enough not to point any fingers, but firmly establishes that he wants nothing to do with this.

It's unlikely Jeff will ever publicly say "fuck 2K and their PR/marketing for this shitty tactic to generate hype over their garbage fire of a game", but having listened to his views long enough over the years, he's probably pissed. Thankfully, CBSi has a healthy legal department capable of writing angry C&D letters on his behalf.

#125 Posted by KaneRobot (2776 posts) -

Polygon is the worst. Shocked they didn't follow it up with a headline something like "Game Journo Unhappy With News Site Story About 2k Spat." Fuuuuuck that site.

#126 Edited by Mister_V (2443 posts) -

Put yourself in Jeff's shoes. If someone used your likeness to promote their product without asking you would probably be a bit pissed off, at least I know I would. Especially if it was a product you didn't even like.

It was probably done innocently enough, maybe some Dev/tester made it as a joke and it got uploaded to a test server (you can upload created wrestlers in these games right?) then when it came time to make the trailer someone used it without realising who it was.

Jeff didn't really have a choice but to voice his displeasure publicly before certain parts of the Internet started claiming he was sleeping with the dev team.

#127 Posted by excast (1385 posts) -

As much as I enjoy the content that some people at Polygon put out, overall they just really have a way of doing the wrong thing, over and over and over. They constantly seem to take the easy way out that will provide a quick controversy and don't really stop to consider the way it makes them look.

#128 Posted by Demoskinos (17459 posts) -

Christ. You know that VG 24/7 Uncharted fuck up was embarrassing but that shit doesn't compare to the daily fucking operation that goes on at Polygon. They talk big talk about being something more for video game journalism but the only thing they actually are is the fucking TMZ of it.

#129 Posted by BradBrains (2272 posts) -

that polygon article reads like click bait

#130 Edited by MrSwift (47 posts) -

@bradbrains: Pretty accurate title. Should visit ign, far worse culprits of reusing short quotes as news and misleading titles. Jeff should of embraced it he created a cool character and featured very briefly in a trailer.

The amount of content for the site they produce out of wwe wrestlers doing interviews and the constant talk on the podcasts. Combined with the yearly PAX wrestling event makes him a well known person within the community. Just a bit of fun!

#131 Edited by Jnal (307 posts) -

I feel Polygon much like other games sites fall into the pit of trashy news stories and poor overall stories in general when the writers need to generate a certain amount of articles per day/week/month to generate traffic. Not saying thats what happens everywhere but I feel if you asked a lot of these people after they leave games writing or go somewhere else if they felt they did their best work at these sites my guess is a lot of them would say no. Thats just my opinion so I could be wrong. Kotaku was/is like that and Owen Good and Brian Crecente both came from there to Polygon so it could just be the talent themselves. I haven't followed Patrick as closely since he left so I don't know if he has been subsumed into the Kotaku machine yet but I hope not as the Mario Maker stuff was pretty good between him and Dan.

#132 Posted by HatKing (7451 posts) -

Christ. You know that VG 24/7 Uncharted fuck up was embarrassing but that shit doesn't compare to the daily fucking operation that goes on at Polygon. They talk big talk about being something more for video game journalism but the only thing they actually are is the fucking TMZ of it.

I literally got a three week comment ban on their site for comparing that article to a TMZ article. They said "contact us in three weeks to restore commenting privileges" like this isn't a perfect example of why I would never want to go to their garbage website again.

A real damn shame any talented people waste their time there.

#133 Posted by DarkbeatDK (2489 posts) -
#134 Posted by indieslaw (576 posts) -

I think it's kinda cool that dr. tracksuit was in the trailer

#135 Posted by Demoskinos (17459 posts) -

@hatking: Its a shame too because they DO have some talented people over there. Its just like fuck do you see the kind of shit you are putting up? You can't tell me there is any value in that from an information standpoint. You created this article literally just to profit off the clicks and make your site money. Which, I mean I get the need to keep the ad revenue up but at least try to make the content output have some sort of worth or discussion merit.

#136 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

@hatking: Its a shame too because they DO have some talented people over there. Its just like fuck do you see the kind of shit you are putting up? You can't tell me there is any value in that from an information standpoint. You created this article literally just to profit off the clicks and make your site money. Which, I mean I get the need to keep the ad revenue up but at least try to make the content output have some sort of worth or discussion merit.

Unfortunately it's very indicative of the rest of the media lately. Pando observed this recently with the likes of GigaOm, TC, Re/code, The Verge etc, with the article "The future of journalism: Cranking it out with one eye on the exit" (I can unlock if you so desire)

The first being that independence turned out to be exhausting. By the time Mike Arrington sold TechCrunch to AOL it was modestly profitable, and could have remained independent indefinitely. Heather Harde wanted it to become a $100m company: The ESPN of tech, as she’d often say. But Mike was beyond burned out: Years of breaking unpopular (but important) stories, being attacked (fairly and unfairly) by readers and rivals alike, and just the brutal reality of a 24hr tech news cycle left him ready to sell to any bidder. And lucky that he did: Both Kara Swisher and Om Malik have talked publicly about, respectively, their heart attack and stroke. Today at Pando, Sarah Lacy is just out of the hospital, recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia, exacerbated by working way too long hours.

Independence is also expensive: GigaOm was reportedly burning through around $300,000 a month when it went bust, Business Insider couldn’t stay independent with $55.6M in venture capital.

Perhaps the biggest presupposition, though, is that the people starting the new generation of media companies would actually want to remain independent. One of the more jarring things about Business Insider’s exit is the number of other journalists -- not just those who stand to make money for the deal -- who responded as if selling to a giant media conglomerate is the ultimate victory for a journalistic organization.

Through this lens, you start to see that the goal of such sites is that "journalism" plays second fiddle - it's ultimately about cashing out 24 months down the line. If you ever asked the people who owned these things, they'll likely tell you "we're a media business" with emphasis on the business part.

#137 Posted by Atwa (1690 posts) -

I agree.
I feel like this was just a little fun the 2K team had with a little wink and nod. Which generated a COMPLETE overreaction. Its just a silly two second thing.

#138 Posted by cornfed40 (619 posts) -

Im fine with Jeff taking a stance here, but its just misguided marketing like we see millions of times every year. Could be as simple as, "Hey, Giant Bomb is a popular site, remember when they did that quicklook and the guy said he could never find a good track suit in create a character mode? Lets put some in and show we're listening"

#139 Posted by HatKing (7451 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Unfortunately it's very indicative of the rest of the media lately. Pando observed this recently with the likes of GigaOm, TC, Re/code, The Verge etc, with the article "The future of journalism: Cranking it out with one eye on the exit" (I can unlock if you so desire)

The first being that independence turned out to be exhausting. By the time Mike Arrington sold TechCrunch to AOL it was modestly profitable, and could have remained independent indefinitely. Heather Harde wanted it to become a $100m company: The ESPN of tech, as she’d often say. But Mike was beyond burned out: Years of breaking unpopular (but important) stories, being attacked (fairly and unfairly) by readers and rivals alike, and just the brutal reality of a 24hr tech news cycle left him ready to sell to any bidder. And lucky that he did: Both Kara Swisher and Om Malik have talked publicly about, respectively, their heart attack and stroke. Today at Pando, Sarah Lacy is just out of the hospital, recovering from a serious bout of pneumonia, exacerbated by working way too long hours.

Independence is also expensive: GigaOm was reportedly burning through around $300,000 a month when it went bust, Business Insider couldn’t stay independent with $55.6M in venture capital.

Perhaps the biggest presupposition, though, is that the people starting the new generation of media companies would actually want to remain independent. One of the more jarring things about Business Insider’s exit is the number of other journalists -- not just those who stand to make money for the deal -- who responded as if selling to a giant media conglomerate is the ultimate victory for a journalistic organization.

Through this lens, you start to see that the goal of such sites is that "journalism" plays second fiddle - it's ultimately about cashing out 24 months down the line. If you ever asked the people who owned these things, they'll likely tell you "we're a media business" with emphasis on the business part.

It's something I've been noticing for the past year or so. Maybe I am just bad at using the internet, but this troubling outlook seems especially prevalent in the gaming media. I just want to go to a gaming website and not groan when I see some obvious, pandering article trying to rustle the audience into a heated and active comments section, headlines that are deliberately obtuse or misleading just so you have to click on them to decipher their meaning, or garbage, low tier, drama stirring entertainment pieces about how some dev's brother posted the wrong thing on Twitter.

#140 Posted by Demoskinos (17459 posts) -

@dudeglove: Yeah, I mean I'm sure that is a large part of the reality. Which I'm guessing played a large part in Giantbomb focusing more on original video content and personality stuff rather than news and opinion pieces. I might be a tad more sympathetic to Polygon if they didn't release that self fellating documentary of their founding. If you're going to come up and prop yourselves up on a pedestal like that be prepared to be put under a microscope. Ya know?

#141 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

@demoskinos: I should probably have added that journalism and the audience plays second fiddle. To you and I, the logic seems twisted, but that's because you think their content is for you - but on closer examination they're not doing it for you, they're doing it for someone else who has very deep pockets. Of course you're not going to be impressed that they can output x number of articles a day and get y number of impressions on their ad packages (unless you're the kind who gets hot over site analytics), but potential sources of funding might.

#142 Posted by OurSin_360 (6183 posts) -

lol @ the polygon article. Bombcast should be fun next week.

#143 Posted by BradBrains (2272 posts) -

lol @ the polygon article. Bombcast should be fun next week.

I doubt they mention any of this

#144 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7610 posts) -

@eaxis said:

I just watched it, refreshed the page and they have taken it down.

Well, from a certain perspective, one even Jeff might not like, Dr Tracksuit is sort of CBSi property, right? From the other perspective, you ask jeff if you want to do a 'homage' to his creation. Either way it was "too on the nose" with the M.D. on the suit to not ask Jeff with this even as an in-joke.

#145 Edited by Demoskinos (17459 posts) -

@eaxis said:

I just watched it, refreshed the page and they have taken it down.

Well, from a certain perspective, one even Jeff might not like, Dr Tracksuit is sort of CBSi property, right? From the other perspective, you ask jeff if you want to do a 'homage' to his creation. Either way it was "too on the nose" with the M.D. on the suit to not ask Jeff with this even as an in-joke.

Considering Jeff tweeted from the Dr. Tracksuit twitter account I think he was less annoyed by Tracksuit's actual inclusion in the trailer but actually more legitimately annoyed with the Polygon article.

#146 Edited by Sanj (3255 posts) -
@dudeglove said:

At the rate at which these games are going, it's highly likely that "niche" appeal you talk of and the audience of people actually willing to purchase the game quite likely strongly overlap. The numbers might not number in the millions (or even thousands), but I'm willing to bet it's bigger than you're brushing it off as.

It's not just about the extent of Tracksuit's appeal, it's the fact that it's a create-your-own character, not someone who will be included on disc or downloadable. Once you buy the game, you still have to create him, and the result may not even be the same as the what was shown in the trailer. Custom characters are not a new thing for this franchise, and people who buy these games would already know that, especially Giant Bomb fans, who are arguably more knowledgeable about games than your average consumer.

But anyway, what do I know. Jeff is far more in-the-know about industry practices than I am, so maybe this was something that warranted his cynicism.

@dudeglove said:

It's unlikely Jeff will ever publicly say "fuck 2K and their PR/marketing for this shitty tactic to generate hype over their garbage fire of a game", but having listened to his views long enough over the years, he's probably pissed. Thankfully, CBSi has a healthy legal department capable of writing angry C&D letters on his behalf.

I don't know about that, considering that soon after Polygon wrote their article about Jeff's apparent unhappiness which subsequently lead to the trailer being taken down, Jeff tweeted "Are you fucking kidding me?". Unless I read that chain of events wrong.

#147 Posted by dudeglove (13763 posts) -

@sanj: I think that might have more to do with the Blue Jays but I'm also not sure.

#148 Posted by UncleBenny (719 posts) -
@dixavd said:

I don't know how the character creator search worked in the previous games, but I do feel like in a previous quick look they showed somewhere you could see others creations and download them. There was a popular section which was obviously filled with celebrities (mostly wrestlers not officially appearing in the game). I wonder if someone made a Dr Tracksuit in it, then a bunch of people downloaded it via knowing Giant Bomb to put it in the popular feed. Then maybe someone needed a cool looking created character who wasn't a celebrity (as they didn't have the likeness) and looked for the highest popular creation they thought was original - and this came up.

I support this opinion. They might have some sort of counter in the back end showing the most popular downloaded character and just featured them in the trailer.

For all we know the guys at 2k forgot about Tracksuit.

#149 Posted by BisonHero (11583 posts) -
#150 Edited by Mike (17998 posts) -

@sanj: I think the problem is that having Dr. Tracksuit in the trailer could be interpreted as Jeff himself either being affiliated with WWE 2k16, or even endorsing it in some way. As someone who is in the business of critiquing games, can't you see how Jeff could see his character's inclusion in the trailer by 2k as problematic?