• 124 results
Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Arjailer

@stantongrouse said: when a game I had intended to play was announced as being removed from the service, rather than get annoyed (which previously I might have done) I just thought, "you had 12 months to play it and never felt enough of an urge to do so, move on."

Two nights ago I went through and deleted about 4 GamePass games that I'd downloaded and never actually got around to playing - felt exactly the same as you - if I'd really wanted to play them I would have done it months ago.

The only thing that annoyed me is that there's no easy way to find these games. The "free up space" option needs a "lapsed GamePass games" section so you can easily delete them.

As for the OP, no, it doesn't bother me at all. Not every game is on GamePass so I still ended up buying a handful of new releases this year like I always did, just now I don't have to buy everything I fancy playing and sometimes I'll play something I wouldn't have otherwise paid for. Feels like it's all win for me.

Edit: And that $180 will buy you what, 3 new games per year? I counted over 240 Xbox games currently available on GamePass the other night. Plus with GP Ultimate you also get 48 Games with Gold games per year. I don't have a gaming PC that I can use regularly but if I did there's another bunch of stuff on there too.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Arjailer

@bearhardt said:

@noobsauce: That's definitely one thing that I'm curious/worried about. The economics of the Game Pass program seem far too good to be true and it just doesn't seem like the reported subscriber base is enough of an income stream to support MS dumping cash on every studio to compensate them adequately for cannibalizing their sales.

It's the best case scenario if this whole thing legitimately is a great, solid deal on all fronts forever but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, here.

About a week ago they reported 15 million subscribers (a 50% increase in the last 6 months). That's $225 million per month. $2.7 billion per year.

Seems like that'd compensate a fair number of publishers/developers to me.

And that's before accounting for the potential extra subscriptions brought in from new consoles, the All Access payment plan, and adding EA and Bethesda games.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ToughShed

@derekuuda said:

That's the other thing that bothers me. Gamers will gladly pay $180 a year for gamepass ultimate, but will piss and moan that the Series X is $100 over the Digital version of the PS5 with similar hardware (excluding the disc drive). Yet $180 a year is almost 2/3rds the cost of a series S. Makes no sense.

Dude I really don't get the point you're making here. You should see the breakdown on the money I spent on PS1 games (I had at least a hundred or so) vs the 300 dollar PS1 console I bought.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ToughShed

@arjailer said:
@bearhardt said:

@noobsauce: That's definitely one thing that I'm curious/worried about. The economics of the Game Pass program seem far too good to be true and it just doesn't seem like the reported subscriber base is enough of an income stream to support MS dumping cash on every studio to compensate them adequately for cannibalizing their sales.

It's the best case scenario if this whole thing legitimately is a great, solid deal on all fronts forever but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, here.

About a week ago they reported 15 million subscribers (a 50% increase in the last 6 months). That's $225 million per month. $2.7 billion per year.

Seems like that'd compensate a fair number of publishers/developers to me.

And that's before accounting for the potential extra subscriptions brought in from new consoles, the All Access payment plan, and adding EA and Bethesda games.

I think there's simply a lot of business power in having regular and more reliable income vs releasing a big game and hoping it sells.

I also think an overlooked benefit for many is that hopefully games won't need to be as ruthless sales number wise and cause companies to sink or swim with one release. If a game takes a while to catch on with Gamepass or doesn't quite come out great, its not a big deal vs something that could sink your company. Hopefully that allows for more risks and safety nets for Devs taking risks.

Hunkadunkodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer: Nice to see some positive numbers coming out of this. If this continues to work out I'm glad. It's definitely a wild twist on the consumer side (and probably on the production side as well) and assuming there isn't some sinister gotcha buried deep within I hope this continues to benefit customers and artists alike.

Hunkadunkodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: Gosh yes. Anything for minimizing catastrophic risks for artists and devs. I never have nor never will presume to understand the business of their business but I definitely felt bummed when the reality of modern game development seemed to shift to "Every game we make might be our very last because if this doesn't set the world on fire we're completely screwed."

camitalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Im in a weird camp. I generally think that Game Pass is good,, I've played Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Forza Horizon 4 and Tell Me Why all on day 1 for about 4 dollars, being Canadian, that's a lot of savings. I also have played Gears 4 and Recore for an additional dollar, so again pretty good.

But generally Game Pass is irrelevant to me, for example the game I'm most excited for in the next 6 months are Trails of Cold Steel 4, Cyberpunk, Yakuza, Atelier Ryza 2, Ys 9 and Nier Replicant Ver 1.22, none of those are on game pass, and most of those arent even on Xbox, so game pass does nothing for me. I know that im more of an exception but ultimately thats the point.

When it comes to Game Pass and value, the resource I'm lacking is Time not Money (at least for the moment), the "value" of Game Pass doesn't appeal to me, because it doesn't offer what I need. This is where for me personally, the comparison to something like Spotify doesn't work becuase for me to pay for all the music I listen to I would go broke real quick. Its the difference in resources being saved by the service.

I'm also slightly worried that the metric of "numbers of copies sold" turns into "number of new Game Pass subs" and that the access to freedom that Microsoft developers have will disappear.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#58  Edited By sombre

It bothers me with how good of a deal it is tbh

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm not a subscription kind-of-guy, but at this point it seems fine to me. The audience loves the amount of value it gives, and the publishers and devs are getting paid and mitigate the risk of a normal game launch.

I do worry that it could turn into a Spotify situation where you kinda have to be on the platform for reach / visibility, eventhough from a financial point of view it's an awful deal for the artists. How many people will still browse the stores and spend 70$ on a new game when that same money gives them months of access to hundreds of games instead? We are training an audience to stop buying games piecemeal and that can shrink the market for the developers that are not able to be a part of gamepass. When Microsoft is bolstering it's point & click roster because it turns out that the 40year+ segment is not getting on the subscription, are they going to pick Ron Gilberts latest game or a point & click game from a debuting indie dev? Will Devolver's new indiegame get more people to sign up compared to John Doe's new indiegame?

But we're not at that stage, so it's just me dooming & glooming about a potential future :)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Most people only buy 1-2 AAA games a year, are you going to get these people to sign up to pay $15 dollars each month? I'm not sure about that.

Where are you getting that number from?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's pretty damn good when you consider games will be about 70-100+$ now

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Its the first subscription service that i've found to be worth it, its not "renting" as badly as some other services, especially with first party games staying on always. I've yet to see a game leave game pass that I cared about or wasn't prepared to purchase, but most of the time I'm able to get through a game with plenty of time to spare, and have tried out games I'd never have tried before and loved them.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By mellotronrules

i really hope someone finds a way to break NDA without reprisal so we can get some better info about compensation. knowing what we now know for spotify artists (thanks to some smaller-to-midsized musicians disclosing their ledgers), we know that the best way to show financial support in the current pre-COVID climate was to buy tour tickets, merch, albums direct from artists, etc.

if a mid-tier multiplatform is released everywhere (but not offered as a direct download or on itch.io), i'd love to know what gets the most money back to the devs- probably Epic store first- but once you throw Gamepass, Steam, the eShop and PS store into the mix- i'd be suuuper curious to know how that breaks out.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ToughShed

@bearhardt said:

@toughshed: Gosh yes. Anything for minimizing catastrophic risks for artists and devs. I never have nor never will presume to understand the business of their business but I definitely felt bummed when the reality of modern game development seemed to shift to "Every game we make might be our very last because if this doesn't set the world on fire we're completely screwed."

Totally agreed. Been encouraged by the MS Game Pass push thus far because they've put out some stuff that wasn't a hit but didn't seem to sink anyone and also some other niche stuff that maybe could take off (Grounded and Wasteland 3 for example) but is getting an earnest push despite being maybe a niche product for a smaller audience.

According to Josh Sawyer of Obsidian, MS is also pretty hands off as far as dictating what they do at the studio. So it seems like Phil has a good approach.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: It is unlikely we find out the terms of those agreements any time soon but I would also be very surprised if it is meaningfully different than live/ps+ games in that studios get X% of a sale for every claimed copy. I could easily imagine something based on installs or even hours played.

But also, video games are in a very different place. Musicians favor ticket and merch sale (mostly merch) because that was their bolt-on. Video games have DLC and those are still generally NOT part of the gamepass deals at all. So maybe I had a blast with Ace Combat 7 and was excited to realize that series went full anime at some point. Bamco gets a buck or two for me playing. Then I decide I want some more and buy the mission DLC and they get the full profit from a DLC sale

At which point it isn't that much different than putting it up for free on humble monthly or PS+. They don't get much for the game itself but they get it back on DLC and get a constant stream of revenue.

Avatar image for ithas2besaidkvo
ItHas2BeSaidKVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a massive fan of the games (non-MS 1st party stuff) only being there for such a short time compared to other streaming content, but if push came to shove, I can just always buy it later down the road in a sale.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Financially it just doesn't make sense to me as a gamer who is busy enough with work and other aspects of my life that I buy a full priced game...once a year? I've probably only played 8-12 games per year for the past several years and enough good games come out for "free" on PS+ or basically free on Steam that even accounting for the $70 PS+ costs I bet I spend less than $200 a year on games (that's in Canadian dollars).

IK2K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would sub to the PC GamePass to at least try it out if I would not be forced to use the bad MS store. I can't even get a free app to download I highly doubt games will work well.

I like to have my games phisical and on my shelf, but the value here is just hard to argue with. It would also make me check out a whole lot more games I wouldn't touch otherwise.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ik2k3 said:

I would sub to the PC GamePass to at least try it out if I would not be forced to use the bad MS store. I can't even get a free app to download I highly doubt games will work well.

I like to have my games phisical and on my shelf, but the value here is just hard to argue with. It would also make me check out a whole lot more games I wouldn't touch otherwise.

Yeah, the Windows Store being complete shite that just randomly doesn't work for some people REALLY doesn't help with PC GamePass :-(

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ik2k3 said:

You don't have to use the MS store. You just need to download the Xbox App for Windows 10 which can be done from the Xbox website. Installing games, playing etc is done through that app.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ToughShed

@johnaze said:
@ik2k3 said:

You don't have to use the MS store. You just need to download the Xbox App for Windows 10 which can be done from the Xbox website. Installing games, playing etc is done through that app.

Yep. The App isn't perfect and has some responsiveness issues for me but lately has been getting a lot better to where I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever the last month or so.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Arjailer
@johnaze said:
@ik2k3 said:

It's not the design of the Store app that's the problem - it's the random errors when you try to download games; it randomly forgetting you have a game installed; its inability to find or delete previously installed games when you have to reset Windows to fix one of these problems etc.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the Xbox app shares the same backend as the Windows store and still has all of these problems.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ToughShed

@arjailer: I've not really been able to use the Win 10 store and the Xbox Beta App works almost flawlessly for me so its definitely not the same to my experience.

My one problem with the App would be responsiveness and taking time to load up certain pages, but a restart would fix it.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beyond the nightmare of Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Apple, etc. turning the console video market into a hellscape warzone, where global tech giants / would-be monopolists outspend each other in the the race to lockdown / buy out every independent 3rd party publisher, e.g. Bethesda (already happened), EA, Acti-Blizz, TakeTwo, etc. etc.???

Yeah, it bothers me. What's got me shakin' my head are all the gamers who think MS buying Bethesda is going to bring about a renaissance in the console gaming market (it isnt'), instead of tech giants outspending their competition, to consolidate the market. Idiots.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Arjailer

@toughshed: Yeah, the store works fine for lots of people too, but when you do have a problem you're probably re-installing Windows to fix it.

My son bought Halo Wars 2 with Play Anywhere, back when he still played the Xbox occasionally. We couldn't download it on his PC for months. Tried all sorts of fixes, from all sorts of websites, but nothing worked. Download just stopped at 3Mb and that was that. Eventually a re-install of Windows fixed it. Shouldn't have to do that to us the built-in store.

And that experience has completely put him off the store. He wanted the Master Chief Collection and even though it was cheaper on the Windows store, or he could have got it on my GamePass Ultimate, he paid the extra money to get it on Steam so he could avoid the store completely.

But we'll try the Xbox app next time if that's working better 👍

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My only problem with game pass is that I have a huge stack of unplayed games that I had already payed for and still haven't found time to play. Giving me infinite games doesn't help with not having the time to play them...

elcidtmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have gamepass, but it definitely is a good deal- there are games that I would not ordinarily buy that if I had them via a subscription service, I'd still check em out.

That said, I pay attention to upcoming games and look forward to release dates. Gamepass won't necessarily save me money, because I'll still buy the games I am interested in that aren't on gamepass. Last 2 games I purchased are Spelunky 2 (PS4) and Hades (PC). So the $40 I spent this month would have been on top of the $10 for gamepass.

For me gamepass is sorta like Amazon Prime Video - there's maybe 3-4 shows I'll actually watch on that platform and may be a couple movies in a given year. Most of the stuff I am interested in is found elsewhere.

So to me gamepass makes the most sense for people who basically have no game collection, and are happy to be kept busy with whatever comes to the platform. To me it's looked a little thin on selection but with the Zenimax acquisition it'll improve significantly in the AAA sphere.

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaiz said:

You still have the option to buy the games. I don't see a problem here.

Yeah, I guess I don't really get the issue either. I'm a big physical media guy but I can't afford to buy every game that interests me. Game Pass gives me the option to try games that I normally wouldn't bother with. If there's nothing there that interests me I can simply cancel my subscription and then renew it when new stuff comes out.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cut the cost for a subscription to gamepass by 50% through gamesharing. I'd be insane to be bothered by such a deal.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81  Edited By tds418

@gundato said:

But also, video games are in a very different place. Musicians favor ticket and merch sale (mostly merch) because that was their bolt-on. Video games have DLC and those are still generally NOT part of the gamepass deals at all. So maybe I had a blast with Ace Combat 7 and was excited to realize that series went full anime at some point. Bamco gets a buck or two for me playing. Then I decide I want some more and buy the mission DLC and they get the full profit from a DLC sale

This is a very good point that shouldn't be forgotten. I've played a lot of Forza Horizon 4 through game pass. I haven't played a Horizon game before and there is a good chance I wouldn't have played it if it wasn't on Game Pass. In some sense, MS "gave away" the game to me when I downloaded it. But, I've since spent something like $20 on the expansion pass. Without game pass, I probably wouldn't have spent anything on FH4.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I refuse to support Game Pass. I personally feel that Microsoft puts far more energy into Game Pass than in their mediocre First Party studios (purchased studios don't count). If they would have spent actually resources developing their own First Party studios, 2020 would be very different for Xbox. I also feel that Game Pass will lead to gradually worse First Party games. Why put in the effort when most gamers won't be purchasing games on Xbox?

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechashadow84: I’m sorry, what? I get that different games don’t appeal to everyone, but Microsoft’s output has been “mediocre”? I personally have preferred Microsoft first party to Sony’s this gen. Halo 5 has fantastic multiplayer, Ori is my favorite Metroidvania series of the recent boom, Forza Horizon is my favorite franchise this gen, and both Flight Simulator and Gears Tactics are two of my favorite games to come out this year. The list goes on. Sorry that they’re not investing in Sad Dads, I guess.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86  Edited By imhungry

@mechashadow84: I mean, the fairly obvious point is that they'll put in effort into their games because the games are the main selling point of Game Pass, which they're pushing as their primary vehicle of revenue expansion. This isn't rocket science.

JAG203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got an email from MSFT, EA play games are now part of game pass. Nothing to get spoopy over but I'll give em credit, they keep adding stuff. Happy Halloween!

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jag203: That’s coming November 10th, so not quite right away. But it may be prudent to grab a year of EA Play right now, as it’ll get converted to 4-ish months of game pass, which is a prerty decent deal.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: I've supported Xbox since the beginning. In my opinion, the Xbox One console generation has been the weakest one by far. I'll put it this way. The last First Party exclusive that I purchased for Xbox One was Halo 5. That was released for the platform in 2015. I was really looking forward to Scalebound and Phantom Dust 2, but they were cancelled. I used to like the Forza series until Xbox milked it dry. How many Forza games released for Xbox One? 6. I would have rather seen the PGR series revived instead of yet another Forza. Let me think of some other First Party games. Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, and Sea of Thieves are all mediocre in my opinion. It took years for the Halo Master Chief Collection to be considered good. Flight Sim and Gears Tactics debuted on PC. Gears came out months ago, and who knows when Flight Sim will actually release on Series X/S. It feels like the Xbox of today is simply a shadow of what they were years ago, in terms of their First Party lineup. It's great that there are fans of their newer efforts. I just can't justify paying for a subscription service when the main driving force behind it (great exclusive games) is nonexistent for me.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: To date, I personally haven't seen the quality of their First Party games go up since Game Pass debuted. The two biggest examples I can mention are Crackdown 3 and Bleeding Edge. Without Game Pass, I wonder how many purchases both games would have had? If anything, I believe Xbox may release more lower quality games, since they can explain them away with the low entry cost of Game Pass.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By ThePanzini

MS first party quality wise has dropped this generation, to which Spencer attested to last year in a Kotaku interview.

Its not a wild statement to make that Sony's been better in this regard, given Sony is gravitating towards fewer bigger games it'll likely continue to be true. MS will put out a lot of first party AA content for game pass.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mechashadow84: Like I said before, it’s fine if those games are not your cup of tea, but just calling everything mediocre just seems silly to me. I find Bloodborne completely inaccessible, and Naughty Dog games to be interactive movies, but I’m not out here calling Sony’s first party output mediocre, it’s just not stuff that appeals to me. Forza remains highly rated, Sea of Thieves is a major social hit, and I’m not sure what the platform of release for Gears or Flight Sim have to do with anything, unless you paradoxically want less choice in gaming. But to each their own I suppose.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Services change and evolve, whether for better or worse.

Right now, Gamepass seems like a great proposition for both players and developers. It's perfectly fine, however, to be skeptical about how that might change even 5 years down the line as this model is increasingly normalized and iterated upon, and the changes developers make to their approach in-response.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure the it's going to become "normalised" when only Microsoft are doing it.

It certainly might affect how MS firstparty games are produced, but I can't see it affecting third parties too much when they still need to sell their games the traditional way on PS5 and Switch.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mechashadow84: If the quality of a game was solely dependent on the desire of a developer and publisher for it to be good then there would be no such thing as bad games. I actually agree with you that Microsoft's first-party output this past gen hasn't been amazing overall but it's extremely bizarre to jump from that to assuming that they aren't putting in effort to make these games the best they can be.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ToughShed

@mechashadow84: lol right. Well I am near the end of Wasteland 3 and its the best RPG of the year, maybe you should try it out before refusing on some strange principle.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry: I'll be honest with you. I have next to no faith in Xbox anymore. They screwed the pooch with Xbox One. Their track record in terms of first-party games hasn't been stellar in many years. I can't even name a major new franchise that Xbox came out with during this generation. Seeing how bad Crackdown 3 and Bleeding Edge were really opened my eyes. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but I seriously expect Xbox's first-party games to nosedive in quality over the next 5 years. I remember when a console lived or died based on the exclusive games you could play on it. Seeing Xbox tout Game Pass as a reason to purchase their new consoles is baffling to me. Game Pass will be great for new Xbox fans, but I doubt it's that interesting for hardcore fans. Who knows?

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By MechaShadow84

@navster15: In my opinion, Xbox's first party offerings are mediocre. It's just my opinion. I've been an Xbox fan since the beginning. I'm not saying I'm important. I just think that it's not good if a game company is disappointing its core fans like Xbox has been doing ever since Xbox One launched. Regarding Sony, I'm not waving their flag. I'm primarily an Xbox fan. I buy Sony and Nintendo games if they interest me.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#99  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm a little mixed about Gamepass. I'm excited that I could play new releases for a cheap subscription fee, but I'd also prefer to own my own games. Fortunately both are available. For Gamepass having no annual "best deal" price is a plus because I can pay or one month and play a few games then hope out with no obligation to keep subscribed.

I'm not a big online multiplayer person, so I understand if you are the bummed about no annual Gold price. I've fallen out of love with Gold and Plus, Gamepass is the much better alternative.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The value proposition for Gears 5 and The Master Chief Collection alone initially seemed very appealing to me as a big fan of the multiplayer in both of those series, I've also jumped into Forza here and there too and the odd gem that drops like Will of the Wisps (plus quickly trying games I have a passing interest in, Spiritfarer for example). But I feel I almost have to hang on to the subscription now so I can jump into those 2 MP games whenever I get the urge, even though I could have picked up both of them at sale price for the same money I've cumulatively paid over the past 18 months of subscribing.

So I guess, you win Microsoft?