Phil Harrison: "Things" that use cloud compute in the works.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexGlass

Sounds to me like he's clearly referring to compute offloading. I'm more than ready to see this demo-ed. Also talks about 343 being focused on Halo. If Halo ends up being one of the first titles to put it to use, it would be pretty sweet.

Joe @joe_GeoThor

@XboxP3 Will we see full cloud-powered games? I mean, using all the power of the cloud....

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@joe_GeoThor Given local CPU/GPU likely see XBOX One games using local compute but we have things incubating that are primarily cloud based.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/03/phil-spencer-xbox-one-can-certainly-do-1080p60fps-primarily-cloud-based-things-are-incubating/

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You know what, I really tried to understand the point of this post.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I like things

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh "things"

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

This Just In! Things and stuff are in the works at Microsoft.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@truthtellah: More breaking news! Microsoft confirms their intention to use services they previously announced their intention to use for unknown future titles!

Xbox!

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And are those things filled with stuff?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah: More breaking news! Microsoft confirms their intention to use services they previously announced their intention to use for future titles!

Xbox!

Now, Phil Harrison, did you or did you not say that Microsoft would be conducting business in the electronics market? And are the rumors true that this business may involve computers and videogames?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@truthtellah: I'm happy to once again announce that Microsoft will in fact be introducing the Xbox One to the electronics market and it WILL be a computer entertainment device designed to support video games AS WELL AS cable television, as we showed in a scripted demo months ago! In addition, the Xbox One will support cloud computing services to theoretically enhance video gaming experiences as we have vaguely described in previous interviews!

If you'd like to hear more information we've opaquely discussed in the past, please contact Xbox support. If you'd like to see how the Xbox One will specifically deliver entertainment experiences to consumers, then please buy one this holiday season!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TruthTellah

@funkasaurasrex: Did we mention that it has videogames? Like the interactive electronic medium traditionally using a controller? Yeah, those are still a thing in the Xbox brand. Stay tuned for more information on videogames!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'd like to see a F2P 64 player Unreal Tournament knockoff made by Microsoft, entirely cloud based. Cuz fuck it!

And also 1 vs. 100 Squared.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What are we talking about again?

Where the hell am I?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've heard that they showed things at an internal microsoft meeting.

Show me yours, I'll show you mine.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EXTomar

Sweet. An announcement of a pending announcement of ideas from internal meetings that may or may not result in anything. I'll be playing more Dota 2 while I wait for this magical "cloud based game".

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

lol

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

"Microsoft claims that cloud has more computing power than the most powerful PC, potentially cures Parkinson's Disease."

Oh and...

@jasonr86 said:

lol

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yes, yes, we can all make jokes... but will it blend? That is the question.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Power of the Cloud by Phil Harrison, with his hit single "Things" OUT NOW! Some time in the future!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, I love things - especially things that got more things on the things with even more things on the things that are on the things with the things... things... things... THINGS!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Justin258

"Microsoft claims that cloud has more computing power than the most powerful PC, potentially cures Parkinson's Disease."

Well, I mean, if Michael J. Fox is supporting this whole thing then I'm in too!

...unless the PS4 cures cancer and Jack Tretton just forgot to mention that because of all the other great things he was mentioning.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EXTomar

Could the power of the XBO using The Cloud create a boy band with Phil Harrison as the lead? Maybe that is the real announcement from this announcement and would definitely be a demonstration how powerful it is.

circlenine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Cloud (proper capitalization to show respect to the awesome power of The Cloud) is capable of doing things and shit like that. I really like the other cloud (not The Cloud so no capitalization) that I use from Amazon cause it's nice to just stream my music

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SomeJerk

man they don't require much quality over at the social marketing company

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GiantLizardKing

Considering how poorly games as services have performed in the past (Diablo 3, Sim City etc.) I don't much like the idea of computation for single player games being handled on the cloud. I don't really look forward to a future where none of the big games work properly at launch.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By veektarius

Cloud was pretty tough. He was no Cid Highwind, though. Microsoft should try to get him.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AlexanderSheen

Oh... theCloud! Now it makes sense.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EXTomar

To be serious for a moment, the best software let alone games that use cloud architecture are ones that many probably don't realize use it. If marketing has to point out "Hey it uses The Cloud!!" then you may want to be suspicious of it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The interesting thing about all this Azure/Cloud stuff is that obviously MS cannot now mandate an internet connection for MOST GAMES, I'm sure some game will insist upon it, like Titanfall, because that was the whole point of the game, and even the developer has gone on record that you promised it in teh contact. Yet, MS doesn't want to look dumb, so most games will need to replication what 'The Cloud' would have been doing for those offline people as well. That replication will probably be very good..because sorry to say it...most of what was going to be offloads was probably AI that is easy to fake.

Game Dude 1: "Oh look the AI cars go around the track so authentically, that's because of Azure!"
Game Dude 2: "What's an Azure?"
Game Dude 1: "Azure is the amazing system of remote servers that MS uses that makes XBOne better than PS4, because it offloads tricky calculation to the cloud."
Game Dude 2: "That's cool...what it use microwaves?"
Game Dude 1: No, it uses my high speed internet connection, that why MS wanted One to be always online. This "Cloud" stuff is Microsoft's ace in the hole...its so bad (The Wizard reference)
Game Dude 2: "Umm, dude... your mom walked in an hour ago and unplugged your Ethernet. We're been offline."
Game Dude 1" ...
Gamer Dude 2: "Yeah, I knew what Azure was, fool! But, I knew we were offline, so when you started saying you COULD TELL this was better, I decided to make fun of you."

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Justin258

@roarimadinosaur: Well, shit, then I'm sticking to Sony, just like I was going to before!

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fascinating discussion in here.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EXTomar

Remember that you started it so if you are unhappy with the quality of the discussion then it is easy to find the source of the problem.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Remember that you started it so if you are unhappy with the quality of the discussion then it is easy to find the source of the problem.

I did and I wanted to see just how long it would go, before one intelligent reply or a funny joke. Still waiting.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TruthTellah

@extomar said:

I did and I wanted to see just how long it would go, before one intelligent reply or a funny joke. Still waiting.

Hey now. No reason to be rude. Some of us are just having fun. You have to admit that it at least -sounds- rather vague, and that's a good bit of the joke here. Obviously this is good news, but since it's unclear what this really means, I don't see why people can't have a little fun with it. :)

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlexGlass

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

Hey now. No reason to be rude. Some of us are just having fun. You have to admit that it at least -sounds- rather vague, and that's a good bit of the joke here. Obviously this is good news, but since it's unclear what this really means, I don't see why people can't have a little fun with it. :)

Nothing wrong but the entire thing reads like this to me:

"Pull my finger"

"Ha, ha Gotcha!"

I at least expect some good jokes in a thread that ends up like this.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

Nothing wrong but the entire thing reads like this to me:

"Pull my finger"

"Ha, ha Gotcha!"

I at least expect some good jokes in a thread that ends up like this.

Oof. Tough crowd.

http://media.giphy.com/media/wxWo79iar36mY/giphy.gif

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rodney helps a little.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nekroskop

343 can't make good Halo games and THE CLOUD can't make your games run or look better.

MS does it again.

THE CLOUD!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Things" coming primarily from the clouds? Is he saying Rain is somehow being ported to the Xbox One for some reason?

*KAPOW*

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EXTomar

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

It sounds like the joke is on you. If you need a big hint: If you want intelligent discussion, start with an intelligent statement. Dropping a link to a vague "talk about things" is pretty stupid.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rafaelfc

So "Things" will stop working whenever they decide to pull the metaphorical plug? Thanks, but no, thanks

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By zeforgotten

It took Phil Harrison for people to realize this?
That's very interesting

Edit: fucking keyboard