Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Series X|S

Platform »

The fourth Xbox console from Microsoft launched on November 10, 2020 with two distinct models; Series X and Series S.

Initial Impressions?

• 94 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-636514d3175a5
    deactivated-636514d3175a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love the design! Although, I am really hoping it can be placed horizontal or I am going to have a difficult time finding a place for it in my entertainment center.

EDIT: It can be place horizontally! Here's some additional details:

• Yes, the box can sit both vertically and horizontally
    • The controller is technically new. Microsoft say “Its size and shape have been refined to accommodate an even wider range of people, and it also features a new Share button to make capturing screenshots and game clips simple and an advanced d-pad derived from the Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller. The new Xbox Wireless Controller will be compatible with Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, and will be included with every Xbox Series X.
    • It’ll support 60fps at 4K, “with possibility of up to 120FPS”, and will also support 8K visuals.
    • The Xbox Series X has a “next-generation SSD will virtually eliminate load times.”
    • It’s backwards compatible! Across all previous Xboxes! “Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.”
    redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Rock Band 4 on Next Gen confirmed!

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why is everyone at Xbox so bad at naming things?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Watch it launch with a 500 GB HDD.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow this is such a bad name I assumed this was someone bumping a thread about the Xbox One X.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like the monolith from 2001.

I wish paddles were a standard for controllers, nice that they're taking features from the Elite pad but I think we're really starting to see a need for paddles in more and more games, especially shooters.

Complete backwards compatibility with all previous consoles is nuts, and actually makes it an attractive option for me, someone who had an OG Xbox and 360 but skipped the One entirely.

Calling it the Series X very much implies multiple options, perhaps a lower and higher power option, one without backwards compatibility, one without a disc drive and so on. Lots of rumours have been circulating around about this, so it'll be interesting to see what the launch lineup for hardware looks like if they're setting up this "series" possibility right in the name.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XSX? Excess X... Nah, it's just a monumentally illogical name, but it looks like (is?) a cool-ass mini PC. I'm excited about what's under the hood and the new graphical standards it'll set, but what I really want is JSRF2.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By berfunkle

How does it fit into your living room next to your TV? I think the tower design may be difficult for some people to get over, and yes, even if it can go horizontal, it still doesn't look like a good fit. I hope I'm wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@berfunkle: this really worried me as well, but at least there's multiple sources claiming it can be placed on it's side. I'm hoping it about the dimension of two One X's stacked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inevpatoria: Next Gen SSD confirmed, but gosh I sure hope it's bigger that 500GB.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's pretty smart of them to make the next Xbox so big that you won't have any room for a PS5.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odds on xsex or sexbox catching on first?

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Seikenfreak

Should just call it the Monolith-X or the Obelisk-X lol ..Xonolith? Obelix

Im excited that the first move has been made. The next generation has begun.. officially! Really excited to see what Sony has. Hoping they reveal something tonight as well. Spotted Cerny in the audience.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By haneybd87

Honestly the design seems like an April fools joke. I really, really hope this will fit on my shelves. Even horizontal (judging by the controller in the photos) it’s going to be close whether or not it will fit. If not my shelves are built into the wall so I would have to literally rebuild the shelving in order for it to fit, this sucks. It baffles me why they couldn’t go with a normal AV form factor of short and deep because that’s how most TV stands/shelves/AV racks are. I was really excited for a new Xbox but now it just seems like it will be a headache.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agn0sis: It actually looks even taller than that in horizontal configuration judging by the controller next to it.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Gonna wait for the Xbox X X

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

xX_Xbox_xX

SeXbox

Xbox SeX

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Xbox SeX

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Fuck the new Xbox, Wolf Among Us 2 is happening

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Casepb

I thought it was a portable projector at first glance...

No Caption Provided

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the design looks good, and I'm sure the specs are great, but considering how little play my current gen XboX has seen it's hard for me to be excited about their new console. Hopefully all their acquisitions will be able to turn things around.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It’s a really cool design that’s going to be an awkward fit for a lot of people.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I don't care about the specs, the box, the power, the graphics. Show me something I don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks ridiculous, but that rumored PS5 dev-kit design was also goofy as hell looking. End of the day, like it was at the start of this gen, I'm gonna go with whoever has games I wanna play arriving in a good time window. Or whoever is cheaper out the gate.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No joke the idea of being able to play original Xbox and 360 games with ease is a selling point for me. There are tons of Xbox games that I want to revisit but they never got backwards compatibility on the 360 or Xbox One.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft seems to have a gift for bad names and equally confusing looking first version design decisions. Here is your mini-PC console that will not fit in literally any entertainment center! My wife who both likes playing games and hates things that look goofy as shit in our living is going to be miserable with this thing.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By brian_

They should just rebrand the Xbox One X as Xbox: 1X and call this new thing 2X.

EDIT: I suppose that would cause issue when we get to the Xbox 4X though. "4X game? Is that a game for the Xbox 4X or a 4X strategy game?" But with any luck, humanity will be long gone before we get to an Xbox 4X anyway.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was an Xbox branded PC. I wonder if this rushes Sony into a reveal of their own? We do still know more about that box than Microsoft's but now we've seen their box.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Teddie

This just really makes me hope Sony is forced into full BC for the PS5 because of this. Not gonna happen, but I can dream...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could. PC emulation's got there with a bunch of hobbyists. Imagine what the guys like Cerny can do when they've got all the documentation to hand.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I know we're saying it can be placed horizontally but If you did turn this over onto its side you then have a large single fan pushing all the hot air straight into the side of a TV unit wall?Previous generations of consoles are designed with this in mind so they push air through the sides and back to disperse the heat. It definitely shouldn't be horizontal in a unit. Also if you did this then the power button ends up being the wrong way round.. not a great look... Seems very strange.

Backwards compatible, controller and specs all sound great though. Comes down to what exclusives they can show at E3.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

The games will tell the story but I’m already sold on their ecosystem - Game Pass is amazing - so I’m hoping to stick with Microsoft for a while.

That said I have to agree that they are just AWFUL at naming things.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The word that I worry about is Series. Does that mean there's a range of products to follow? Is there going to be a tablet, laptop, etc? Are they all part of the same ecosystem and they'll be linked to the cloud?

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still no push-to-talk button on the controller. Maybe someday.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what is this actual device? This just looks like a wonky ass server. I'm no fan of this Xpac

GuardianBob87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GuardianBob87

I'm actually glad it has this shape. This looks like it should have a big 120/140mm fan blowing out of the top in there so it'll finally be a console that isn't unbearably fucking loud compared to my PC in the living room. I've been wanting consoles to get bigger and get rid of small whiny fans forever.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to a couple of generations from now when we can get the Xbox XXX.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not an Xbox guy so I already knew I wasn't getting this, but I have to ask: Why the heck is it so huge?? It's literally a PC without the monitor. Are we just getting named PCs as consoles now?

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the minimalist design. However, like others have said, show me the games!

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardianbob87: The XB1X is super quiet and already exists. My PC is way louder and I built it with sound in mind.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

Gonna wait for the Xbox X X

I love Microsoft's numbering. It ... just has no consistency.

Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I find the design to be appealing, but it will definitely be awkward to find a nice spot for the console in my entertainment center. I mean sure, I could lean in on its side, but there's a good reason why they designed the console to blow hot air through the top and I would like to use it as intended. Maybe I'll just end up shoving the whole thing behind my entertainment center and only go back there to pop in the odd BluRay when I need to.

One question about the controller though, that I haven't found an answer anywhere yet. Is it still powered by AA-batteries, or does it have an internal rechargeable battery? I've been a firm supporter of using rechargeable AA-batteries in Xbox controllers for a long time, but the Switch Pro controller has actually started to sway me in the direction of having an internal battery with good capacity. Just please don't make it last for just a few minutes like the DualShocks do.

The name is a bit awkward, but totally makes sense. In a couple of years people will just be talking about the Xbox X, Xbox S and whatever other iterations they end up releasing.

Oh, and backwards compatibility will be great. I can continue to play SSX on my XSX.

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunothethird: I, for one, can’t wait to excessively play SSX exclusively on my new XSX.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it lays down not sure how I'll fit it into my entertainment console. Going to have to be creative with this one. Otherwise looks interesting!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

On it's side, I'm thinking it might be about the same size as an A/V receiver. Kinda looks like mine.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the form factor, there might be more under the hood than you'd normally expect. Or is that just expected with what modern cooling solutions and graphics cards? Can't wait to see the first teardown.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@brian_: Ha! I really love what Microsoft has been doing in the console space, just about since they started.

But you’re absolutely right. Their naming schemes are INSANE for mass market products.

1) Xbox

2) Xbox 360

3) Xbox One

4) Xbox One S

5) Xbox One X

6) Xbox Series X

It seems like a recipe for brand confusion, especially considering some of the loose talk around Xbox One X maybe being able to play Xbox Series X games via xCloud.

It’s mind-boggling, to me...

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made a desktop PC and gave it a horrible fucking name. Great job.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Name is dumb, but like the design if it means it will be quiet like one x. Ps4 pro has been incredibly loud.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.