Assume I haven't played an Xbox since the 360- What do I need to play?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By sombre

Hey duders,

I am considering getting a Series S in the coming months, once I've saved up enough to buy one. I know that in the past, I've posted about having a Series X, but due to covid and lost earnings, I had to sell it pretty quickly to pay my bills. Now, I'm in a more healthy financial situation, and my partner and I want a console to play some videogames on.

The Series S seems ideal. It's real cheap in the UK, has great specs, and has a whole library of stuff due to Game Pass.

But let's assume I haven't played anything from the last generation, or this one. What do I need to play? I'd like to hear about exclusives, but also, the best multi-platform games too. I had a PS4 last gen, which I played a lot of, but I still missed out on quite a lot of games over there. I remember enjoying The Witcher 3, which I'm thinking about replaying on the Series S (Have they released a re-released on the Series S with improved visuals and stuff? Or was that just on the Playstation?)

Bonus points for some great couch co-op games I could play with my partner. We liked playing Overcooked 2 on the Computer a while ago, until we got to the hot air balloon level, which we had to stop cause we were arguing too much!

Thanks!

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By splodge

I also have an S, it's one of the best purchases I have ever made.

A lot of people like to gripe about Destiny, but honestly it's an absolute blast to play, runs great, and a good chunk of it is free to play.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are both on Gamepass and they are fantastic.

I have played some great rogue lites or likes there too. Hades is on there.

Gamepass has a massive amount of variety. Persona 5 is coming on 20th of October also.

Honestly it's such good value and the offering is huge you will never not have anything to play.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Rising 3 secretly one of the best launch games and Sunset Overdrive is a stand out exclusive from that generation.

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to recommend things without really knowing you or your taste in games, but I would suggest you cash in the Game Pass offer that's bundled with a new XBox and just go to town. There's a ton of good options and they won't cost you any extra cash.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

Probably Gears 4 and 5, if you and your partners can handle the gore.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It depends on which genre you personally like, say if you like first-person shooters, then I recommend you to play Halo Infinite.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bigsocrates is one of the really amazing game, <a href="https://adorngiftsflowers.com.au/">I</a>

played this game and enjoy a lot also earn a handsome amount.

WOW. This was a good one.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SethMode

I recall you either not liking, or at least being sick of, a lot of rogue-ish type games, so I'm leaving those off. Apologies if I am misremembering.

It Takes Two is great fun for couch co-op, but will take a level of patience depending on the player skill level for 3D platformers. I don't know how directly interactive you prefer your games to be, but The Quarry was a lot of dumb horror fun, and from the same dev I enjoyed The Dark Pictures Anthology for the most part. Even less interactive than that, What Remains of Edith Finch is very good, and I personally enjoyed Firewatch, even if I believe it very much requires going in with tempered expectations. Other than that, both Doom games were mentioned and both rule, the if you want something more intense, the console versions of Stellaris and Crusader Kings 3 are good. As is Rimworld.

Anyway, there are a variety of suggestions from a few different genres. Best of luck. The S is a great little system, and you really can't beat it for the price. I just hope you aren't one of those people that likes to have a whole bunch of games installed at one time because without an external that just isn't an option.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly recommend Killer Instinct if you like fighting games at all.

Forza Horizon is my favorite current racing series. Can't go wrong with either 4 or 5.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sombre:

I remember enjoying The Witcher 3, which I'm thinking about replaying on the Series S (Have they released a re-released on the Series S with improved visuals and stuff? Or was that just on the Playstation?)

The next gen upgrade for the Witcher 3 has been delayed several times, but is currently planned to release sometime this fall, though it still doesn't have an exact release date.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

As far as exclusives go I'd recommend trying out Sunset Overdrive, both Ori games, Forza Horizon 5, Halo and Gears. On top of those there's tons of stuff on Game Pass and I'm sure you'll find whatever you're looking for there.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Too big of a question. Get the Series S, get game pass, get an external hard drive (you can get 4 TB for a pretty reasonable price), then download whatever looks interesting. You'll have to do some Tetrising to move stuff from the external to internal hard drive to play some of the games, but it shouldn't be too bad. If you missed an entire generation, you honestly don't need anything other than Game Pass to start.