• 188 results
Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

@humanity: I don't keep 20-30 games on my PS4, but I have folders for my competitive and coop games that I play with friends (Apex, Overwatch, Warzone, The Division 2, Destiny 2 for example). That is on top of the single player game I am currently playing on the system.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sounds like a great deal if you play a lot of games. I don’t play many games these days but I’m going to build a PC now and wait for compelling exclusives on either console. I’m in privileged position though.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity: Yeah that may true about the GPU's being comparable, I'm forgetting where I saw something about them not being the same and I chalked it up to the One X running some games at or close to 4K, RDR2 being the incredible example, but sure I could see how raytracing support would require a somewhat beefy GPU. Those resolution and framerate targets would require something strong too but I don't put too much weight on targets because devs have always gone down the traditional path of 30fps with pretty graphics.....although with that said I'm expecting there to be more 60fps games next gen than ever before with "prestige" graphics games thrown around here and there at the typical 30fps partly because the work needed to make a pretty next gen game will be a tall hill to climb.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#154  Edited By berfunkle

I can live with the series S. It's cheaper, and I left discs behind years ago.

I know there's this love for 4K, 8K or whatever, but so long as I can play the same games available for the series X, I don't mind playing at 1080p.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanity: When there was a sale a few years ago i bought an external 8TB for my PS4, which was worth it just to have basically my entire library of games at the ready. But it was a luxury purchase i didn't need, but for the price and convince it gave was worth it to me. 8TB is still overkill, but down the line i knew i could use it for PC backups or new consoles. But 1TB-825-500GB for a launch console will probably last a few years comfortably if im not downloading everything. The PS3 came with 60GB and i was hitting my limit with that a few years later when it finally died and got a slim with i think 500GB. And the 500GB in the PS4 was fine for years till we started hitting 100+GB games, i probably couldn't keep my multiplayer games at the ready with only 500GB.

With prices of SSD's going down i might end up getting a larger one years down the line, but im sure its not going to be a 8TB SSD unless there is a dramatic drop. Probably just use the external 8TB i have as the backup for PS5/PS4 games.

stevejones1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#158  Edited By stevejones1981

Superb news, big announcement. I will opt for a series S and the price is very much in reach for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Series-S 512GB is enough for me to have PUBG and some backwards compatible titles I’m playing through. Now if they announce a wide swath of new backwards compatible titles. Like deep from the well since I imagine the pandemic has gotten some people to rethink their finances those titles we though we’d never see because of licensing deals might be getting cut. I’m not asking for Madden but whoever owns Buffy The Vampire Slayer of BMX XXX probably doesn’t have that sound of a nest egg. So I’d prefer Series-S but Series-X is only enticing with some backwards compatibility news. I will ultimately upgrade to one well before I even touch a PS5.

For those of us that worked from home during quarantine we can testify to how much workflow and processes suffered. I can’t even imagine how much next generation games suffered. Hopefully Xbox made the pivot to getting me some achievements in Original Xbox games and working through more and more backwards compatibility titles. That seems like the perfect work from home proposition. “Get me Tony Hawk American Wasteland up and running by launch no matter the cost.”

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@dsjwetrwete said:

No Caption Provided

@hatking: Rumor is $220 for a 1TB external SSD.

''''

Sorry, guys if $220 is an accurate price; then the ACTUAL price of Series X and Series S is $499 and $599. I HOPE IT IS NOT THAT PRICE!!! Please MS and Seagate get your heads out of your asses if that is the price.

So, yeah, a normal good quality 1TB NVME drive could be between $150 and $170, so Microsoft prices might not be as "good" as they want it to appear. For sure the Series S need that $220 add-on to even be function for more than 3 games. If players save ANYTHING else on the Series S drive; then it is just room for two games.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I hate to be a broken record here, but you can also just use a USB hard drive as secondary storage. Sure, that might add some time to switching games you want to play, but let’s not get into hyperbole about paying for proprietary memory as the only way to proceed.

Also, a lot of people don’t play Call of Duty or Destiny. For them, 500 gigs may be just fine!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@monkeyking1969: For what it's worth, the inclusion of an SSD will mean that data won't have to be duplicated all over, just to make sure that the players never encounters a random freeze in game because the HDD seek time takes too long to reach one of the duplicated data-pieces and load it into RAM. I think Cerny noted that Spiderman had like hundreds of instances of the same garbage can on the disc. That's no longer needed with these new games. Not saying that this will mean that the next cod will be 50% of the current size or anything, but at the same time i feel like the current size of COD sticks out like a sore thumb and gets heavily criticized for it's size already.

If a good chunk of gamers are on very limited stock hardware, the COD team showing up with a 120GB game might start to cost customers. If the players won't give up Fortnite, Fifa, Apex or Overwatch /w the friends, there's simply no room for this hulking beast of a game for a sizeable amount of customers. It would be bad for business to not consider the storage constraints their customer-base is dealing with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: it’s fair and quite obvious to say that anybody that had issues with storage for consoles since 2013 either found a solution in the form of a supplementary harddrive (that still works and will be plug and play with Xbox at least) or they got over the fact and budgeted their harddrive space. I don’t think we saw the back of the series-S so who knows if they have the proprietary drive slot back there but I will take harddrive management and a lower barrier to entry price over excess harddrive space. Who honestly plays more than 4 or 5 games at a time? Besides that with backwards compatibility I’m as likely to be playing something from original Xbox, 360, or Xbox one as I am a series-S generation game (with 15 and 20GB on the high average size max for older titles.. nothing on original xbox or 360 clocks in that high). Quit using COD,GTAV and Destiny edge cases to justify a point. People that play those games only play 1 game anyway. Even more moot of a point.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@fourthline:

of a supplementary harddrive (that still works and will be plug and play with Xbox at least)

While the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S demand Microsoft's SSD storage to playing games, it's worth noting that USB 3.0 drives will function for backward compatibility, including Xbox One, Xbox 360, and original Xbox titles. Xbox Series X and S titles can also offload to these slower drives for safekeeping, but you'll need to transfer your installations to the official SSD manually before playing.

Not exactly a plug & play hard-drive. If you're playing a new gen game, it needs to be installed on the SSD or expanded with an official expansion card that's nearly as expensive as the Series S itself. The hard drive is only for backward compatible games and cold-storage. It doesn't really matter whether many people would or would not get the SSD expansion card for that price, at the end of the day if you're making a game that takes up 40% of stock storage for millions of people, you're going to lose out on sales. It's in Activision's interest to not let the size of the game be a deterrant for people now that players can't just hook up a 50$ external drive they bought at the local store as a quick fix . They're dealing with a more restricted playerbase than before and the tech allows Activision to improve in this regard.

I can assure you that there are plenty of people that bought COD and still find time to play other games. Just like there are people that buy a console to specifically play Madden, while there are also plenty of people that play a variety of games, of which one is Madden. That said, i do agree that COD seems to be an egregious case, with most other games clocking in around 40-70 GB. Hopefully the amount of de-duplication of data that a SSD can offer, will mean that most games stay around that ballpark. Most people probably don't need more than 6-10 games installed. Cerny also hinted that they looked into the habits of the playstation gamers and that this is generally the case.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

I currently have 179 games installed over 3TB of storage. So 512GB would be a problem. 1 TB I can live with, I can put all my old BC games on other storage.

Briten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how much of the 512 on the S will be accessible? After formatting, operating system and reserved space for updates I'm thinking usable space will be something like ~ 450 GB

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: For what it's worth, the inclusion of an SSD will mean that data won't have to be duplicated all over, just to make sure that the players never encounters a random freeze in game because the HDD seek time takes too long to reach one of the duplicated data-pieces and load it into RAM.

Yeah, you're right. Good catch.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: One thing to note, Modern Warfare launched on the PS4 and Xbox One, both of which likely have a large portion of players still on launch era hardware with 500 GB hard drives. That didn’t seem to cause them to hesitate on dropping a monstrously large game, so I doubt this new constraint will either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycrockett: So i'm wondering if you're going to ditch your xbox one-whatever to get the series S or X? If you plan on playing backwards compatible games it seems like even the stock 2013 xbox one can continue to handle your backwards compatibility needs. I'm keeping my One-S primarily for clearing out my disc based xbox backwards compatibility backlog. I'm thinking Microsoft is going to announce a slew of backwards compatibility titles which will live on gamepass or on some discs i already own.

The Series-S will be for the 5 or 6 next gen games that will matter to me in the first year or so. So that will be Call of Duty Cold War at launch only because it's a regret free purchase. Sure i regret buying every Call of Duty known to man but it's a solid game and I think i'll regret getting The Medium or anything like that more.

I'll will be playing games on my Series-S because outside of PUBG i really haven't experienced the suffering of drop frames or anything in the single player games I play. The solid state drive did wonders for PUBG and i just got tired of having adapters and dongles attached to my Xbox so i lived without the performance boost and extra harddrive space because I'm not a PC gamer I just want a box, hdmi cable, and power cable.

The Series-S has talked me out of a Series-X because I was prepared to spend $500 on a series-X and trade in my old system. Now I don't feel compelled to trade in anything. 4K has not amazed me in the slightest and with backwards compatibility I'm looking forward to playing older games that I missed to understand the history of games more so than i am interested in the MTX laden, game by committee (or even worse Autership of Kojima weird for weirds sake) , and free-to-play nonsense that is modern gaming. I won't be missing out if I never play a game post-2020. There's way too much that I've already missed.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all for showing some of the cost and explaining your points of view. But, I am still unclear what they costs would be if I bough the XBOX Series X and the minimum I needed to play 'discs' on line. I'm still not sure if XB Live Gold is needed on some level, they say it is not needed to play online, but am I missing something?

As for AL Access I can appreciate that Game Pass and EA Play are worthwhile for many people. But, for me just Game Pass alone for $6 (the current deal I think) woudl be all I would pay for. I don't need PC Game Pass and EA play, they would not be of value to me since I use Valve Steam only a bit.

This is not a huge deal, but I do think the minimum cost of getting into Series X is of value to the community.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#171  Edited By liquiddragon

@monkeyking1969: I think game pass goes up to $10 a month for everyone starting next month/nextbilling cycle. Game pass games I don’t believe you need Xbox Live Gold. If you decide to drop game pass or want to play a game online that’s not in the sub library, you’ll need XB Live Gold.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Minimum cost for the Series X is $500 USD for the console, the the cost of Xbox Live Gold for online play, and then the cost of whatever games you want to buy.

Xbox Live Gold is in a weird place right now. Up until a few months ago you could get a year for $60, same as PS Plus, but they got rid of the yearly sub so now it’s effectively $100/year by buying 3 month subs (higher if going month to month). The scuttlebutt around online being free stems from this, as it’s extremely weird for Microsoft to do this amid all the other customer friendly moves they are making. No idea how this is going to shake out, but that’s the situation right now!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: If Microsoft doesn't go free for at least the free-to-play games like Apex, Fortnite, Warzone or whatever is next they risk alienating current PS4 owners that are not going to be down with paying Valet parking for a feature that they may have never paid for on PS4. I justified the cost of buying a PS4Pro and Last of Us 2 and trading all that in for about $150 loss because I knew I wasn't ever going to get PSPlus and if someone wanted to play Warzone I wouldn't have to put in a credit card. The subscription model tricks you into finding value in something or feeling obligated to get your money's worth. I beat Last of Us 2 got baby's first 4K tv and moved on with life. If i had a psplus subscription I would have held onto a system longer than what i truly value it for.

The price of admission for xbox gold stings alot worse because of the free forever 360 games that come with. Now 100+ free 360 games later that feature has already scraped the bottom of the barrel. Unless xbox live gold comes with free pandora, youtube red, hulu, or some other paid for service then xbox gold can kick rocks... after my year is up.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: you bought a PS4 Pro to play 1 game before getting rid of it?? And you're concerned about maximizing your dollars spent??

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry: if I would have kept the system I would have found myself wading in the tripe that is just the same as what I have on the Xbox. You know there’s going to be a remastered LOU2 or PS5 so that’s one less compelling thing that would make me join the PS5 train since I don't like their games.

I needed an excuse to get a 4K tv and since 3rd person action is Sony’s bread and butter I figured that would be the late generation preview of what’s to come with the PS5. $150 later I am now much informed in what my next generation purchase will be. Normally I get every system that comes out. After I skipped out on the NES classic, SNES classic, Switch, and Wii-U (though i did get a switch lite because I thought Animal Crossing was going to be out Fall 2019.. and yes I sold it) I don't buy Nintendo products. I've been feeling the same way about Sony. I got their pandemic game during a pandemic. I would have gotten a Switch to play animal crossing like everybody else did but since I've played those games before and Nintendo never listens to their community (look at the fake Animal Crossing directs) I decided not to even experience that disappointment. Is anybody still playing AC? Of course not, it's an animal crossing game.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@navster15: Thanks for the info. Still a lot to shake-out this generation about costs. Maybe it will all be a bit more clear in October when places like Giant Bomb can ask the questions. As I said in another thread, it was WILD to see Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Brad and Matt Rorry trying to digest what Microsoft was planning the last go round.

I think Xb Series X will be an awesome system with great games...but I wish Microsoft liked "simplicity" and "clarity" more.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I guess the cost of that simplicity is, well, cost. I mean, Sony is offering the PS5 at X dollars and the PS5 all-digital at X-Y dollars, which is simple and easy to understand, but if you can’t afford those price points, there’s nothing else for you. Microsoft, on the other hand has some of that clarity with a $500 and $300 system, and the complexity only appears when you want to consider cheaper options. But maybe the Hotspot guys made some good points, although I’m not premium so I can’t say for sure.

besighyawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably wouldn't get the Series S over the X unless I just needed an extra one in a separate room and had money to burn. It is a good price point if I ever wanted to get a good gift for a young cousin or someone close

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By monkeyking1969

@besighyawn said:

Probably wouldn't get the Series S over the X unless I just needed an extra one in a separate room and had money to burn. It is a good price point if I ever wanted to get a good gift for a young cousin or someone close

Yeah, I don't see much point for 'gamers' with either of the download only consoles. Sure, I download everything and only have a handful of dics from this current generation. But, the Series S just seems like a "compromise" in too many areas for me.

- No media drive

- Less RAM

- Less CPU and GPU horsepower

- Smaller storage drive standard

I hope PS5 w/o Media drive is nearly the same as the PS5. The PS5 Discless would be no media drive and just a smaller storage drive in my dreamworld. I hope the Sony consoles are closer in function, so that they games on both run EXACTLY the same. To be honest, I think Microsoft's play for having a less expensive box is will hurt them - it will be the console gamers don't want.
JMO - Time will tell.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@besighyawn said:

To be honest, I think Microsoft's play for having a less expensive box is will hurt them - it will be the console gamers don't want.

I think that is exactly what they are going for. Microsoft is shooting for a much larger audience that console gamers. The S is a much more affordable option that more and more people (beyond typical console gamers) will be willing to throw money at. It's all about getting people into their ecosystem at this point with Game Pass and Xcloud. I think it's a really interesting and smart route to go with what their ultimate plan is. Time will tell though!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: Getting mad about no disc drive in Series-S is like getting mad about no disc drive in the next Apple TV.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: Getting mad about no disc drive in Series-S is like getting mad about no disc drive in the next Apple TV.

Getting mad is obviously a bit pointless when a disc option exists, but Xbox has a long history of physical media. Apple TV doesn't. It's an odd comparison.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: Hard disagree on this take. Especially with one of the tentpole features is that Microsoft is "beyond generations". They keep talking about hundreds of games being available at once and if I can't use my disc-based games, that makes the S a non-starter for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colonel_pockets: if you’ve been in the Xbox ecosystem (and you’re one of the smart ones) and downloaded all of the Xbox live 360 and original Xbox games over the last 2 years you have about 50 digital titles titles forever and over the next year you’re getting another 24 titles (while you play gamespass titles). So that’s about 75 titles. I’m 42 years old. In the first 25 years of my life at best i might have played 50 games between consoles, PCs, and arcade. If your needs can’t be met by those games and the combination of any games you elect to buy then maybe you want more from gaming than what’s really there. Keep your Xbox one if you’re so precious about your disc games.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fourthline: Alrighty then. Good thing they have the X then which has what I'm looking for. Have a good rest of your day.