Will the Project Gotham Racing series likely to return?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Hello

Not long ago that I have been playing Project Gotham Racing 2 on my Xbox 360 via backward compatibility, so I thought of making this thread since we got about 3 more weeks until E3 2021.

Also, I have been a fan of this franchise for years and I would really love to see it return so the fans can relive their fun memories on it.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaalmo said:

I love PGR, but Microsoft already has Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon in their catalogue, and it's been so long since the last game, does the name even mean anything anymore?

The last game in the series is Project Gotham Racing: Ferrari Edition for Zune HD the portable media player from Microsoft.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I can imagine if for whatever reason they wanted to make an over the top, drift crazy, explosion filled arcade racer they could bring back the name, but it wouldn't be anything like it was.
I'd love it if they remastered PGR4 but licensing puts a nail in that.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think the series is dead and buried. Shame, cause I loved them too, even more so than Forza. Pour one out for the old boy.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if using real streets causes any headaches for attempting to bring it back?

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: You mean a sort of licensing thing? I don't think so, Flight Simulator just rendered all the roads on the entire planet, but for details like company names on the sides of buildings you'd have to replace those.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think the series is dead and buried. Shame, cause I loved them too, even more so than Forza. Pour one out for the old boy.

This makes me sad when the PGR series is dead plus Bizarre Creations is closed down by Activision about a decade ago.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No its dead, why make PGR over Forza?

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

@shindig: You mean a sort of licensing thing? I don't think so, Flight Simulator just rendered all the roads on the entire planet, but for details like company names on the sides of buildings you'd have to replace those.

That plus the idea that the old tracks might now be obsolete. New roads in place, etc. They'd have no problem getting the map data. I was thinking back to when Test Drive had a Newcastle track that was modelled on the city centre. The layout's absolutely alien now.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:
@cikame said:

That plus the idea that the old tracks might now be obsolete. New roads in place, etc. They'd have no problem getting the map data. I was thinking back to when Test Drive had a Newcastle track that was modelled on the city centre. The layout's absolutely alien now.

Metropolis Street Racer was one of the first games to use laser scanning, it takes Turn 10 about 3-5 months to add or update a new/existing race track in Forza Motorsport, its why they only update or add a few tracks each iteration.

A location in a new PGR would be a considerable challenge, a single location could easily take more than a year if it was in a big city like London.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No its dead, why make PGR over Forza?

So the fans can relive their memories of it.

MechaShadow84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In my opinion, Xbox killed PGR so Forza Horizon could be made. PGR would have gone on to be much bigger, in my opinion. Even if Xbox wanted to make a new PGR now, the studio behind it (Bizarre) is long since gone. Xbox killed PGR so they could milk the Forza series to death.

wobag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By wobag

I was under the impression the PGR rights went with Bizarre to Activision when the studio was sold to them.

I THINK it was activision that published the mobile PGR game, which sort of fits that then. AV definitely published the later Geomerty Wars games which was Bizarres IP so that fits. If AV does own the rights, the overlap with Forza isnt an issue,

Neither PGR3, 4 or Blur which was Bizarre's other driving game ever got back compat. I always assumed this was because of the soundtrack licencing, or maybe it was just that there wasnt anything in it for Activision to bother.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my opinion, Xbox killed PGR so Forza Horizon could be made. PGR would have gone on to be much bigger, in my opinion. Even if Xbox wanted to make a new PGR now, the studio behind it (Bizarre) is long since gone. Xbox killed PGR so they could milk the Forza series to death.

Xbox Game Studios must better bring back some of their old driving game IPs as well so they could have more audiences.

The same goes that Sony Interactive Entertainment must bring back more old driving game IPs too.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wobag said:

I was under the impression the PGR rights went with Bizarre to Activision when the studio was sold to them.

I THINK it was activision that published the mobile PGR game, which sort of fits that then. AV definitely published the later Geomerty Wars games which was Bizarres IP so that fits. If AV does own the rights, the overlap with Forza isnt an issue,

Neither PGR3, 4 or Blur which was Bizarre's other driving game ever got back compat. I always assumed this was because of the soundtrack licencing, or maybe it was just that there wasnt anything in it for Activision to bother.

Also, I thought there will be Blur 2 until it gets cancelled after Bizarre Creations being closed down by Activision.

wobag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By wobag

@gtxforza said:

Also, I thought there will be Blur 2 until it gets cancelled after Bizarre Creations being closed down by Activision.

The leaked videos of the early build of Blur 2 that came out after the studio closed might be the most frustrating thing Ive every seen, I loved Blur

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gtxforza

@wobag said:
@gtxforza said:

The leaked videos of the early build of Blur 2 that came out after the studio closed might be the most frustrating thing Ive every seen, I loved Blur

Me too, Blur is one of my personal favorite arcade racers of all time.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I enjoyed PG on the 360, I think the Forza games have filled that niche nicely, if not better. PG would have to be something completely different from those games for me to be interested.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No