Xbox One Back Compat Question

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hi Duders! Sorry for the very "support" post, but I've had a surprisingly hard time finding an answer to this and I know y'all are whip smart. So I just got my Series X and have all my old Xbox One games on an external HDD. So I know that I can play the games from there, but do they benefit from things like faster load times and whatnot? Or do they have to be moved to the internal SSD to take advantage of perks like that?

Basically what I'm asking is if I really need to move my 1500+ Rock Band songs to the internal to finally make that game not load like a nightmare or if I can keep it all on my external.

Thank you all in advance!

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Digital Foundry had a video a while back addressing this, and is a good watch if you have the time. I’m on mobile and can’t provide the link, but you should be able to Google it pretty easily.

In any case, if memory serves, there is a slight improvement in loading for some games when compared to loading off the same external drive on a One or One X. Not crazy noticeable, but it’s there. Differences become more pronounced should you use an external SSD rather than HDD, but still not nearly as good as the internal SSD (or expansion card). Hope that helps!

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arjailer

Actually DF's numbers showed an external SSD being pretty much the same as the internal drive for back compat games - within a second or two in most cases.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arjailer: That makes sense. I think I was confusing that with the speed of transferring to and from the internal SSD, which was noticeably faster with an external SSD rather than HDD.