I suck at Karaoke.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jedted

The notes are so close together and the bar move so fast i don't have enough time to press the button. Any tips for getting a high score? Dan made it look easy on Beast in the East.

I am playing the game via Remote Play on my PC if that makes a difference with input latency.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm not bad at it. I really dislike how it seems to switch up the speed it's moving at. I think if it comes down to it, practice and memorization should help you.

Personally I am just awful at the dancing game.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Mahjong is the only thing left I have to do in that game for 100% and I'm too terrible at mahjong to finish it

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jedted

I don't see how anyone can keep up with the fast notes. I miss more notes than i hit.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess you could say the karaoke game is realistic since most people are typically bad at karaoke.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I have seen on the BitE, the timing is pretty bad.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

I didn't find it that hard, it might actually be the latency that's messing you up. Since that's a pretty major thing for rhythm games.

The movement of the thing changing speed seems accurate to what actual karaoke is, and also if you listen the characters don't actually sing exactly on time with the words. There's some nice detail there.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Pepsiman

Remote play lag absolutely isn't doing you any favors. While the input latency might not be as impactful for other genres, for something like a rhythm game where the timing windows are usually open for a fraction of a second, that lag is likely enough to break your prospects, even if your sense of rhythm is otherwise accurate. Bear in mind, the image you're seeing (and the audio you're hearing) on your remote play device is slightly behind what the actual PS4 is outputting because of delays in video encoding and transmission, so you hitting in time to what your remote play device is displaying is consistently going to be too late according to the game's logic because the actual console is already ahead of what you're seeing. Even if you try to compensate for this, it might not always work because of fluctuating network and encoding conditions, resulting in lost controller inputs.

Basically, I'd try playing on an actual TV and compare the difference if I were you. You might not suddenly get perfect scores, but you'll almost certainly notice a night and day in difference in terms of what you get, even if you find some stretches of songs tricky still.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karaoke is pretty difficult on Yakuza games playing it on remote play will make it almost impossible to beat.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this might be a remote play thing. I at least didn`t have any problems with the karaoke minigame and I am by no means a rhythm game expert.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shindig

Who cares? Hit men, not notes. I've been awful at it and will continue to be so.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I had no trouble on PS4, but playing Persona 5 via remote play I have noticed horrible stream quality and significant lag. I'm surprised you can play a game like Yakuza at all.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By stordoff

@jedted: Remote Play definitely won't be helping, as the hit window is pretty short

What I found helpful was just keeping your combo going and not worrying about the number of steps. You get enough points from the long combo, and it's much easier to stay on the beat.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Don't try to get it spot-on, just mash. The game's not all THAT precise and I don't think you lose points for button presses outside the notes.

Just mash it out when they're super close together.

@stordoff said:

@jedted: Remote Play definitely won't be helping, as the hit window is pretty short

@artisanbreads said:

What I found helpful was just keeping your combo going and not worrying about the number of steps. You get enough points from the long combo, and it's much easier to stay on the beat.

Seconding this. The steps might be required at higher level competitions, but combos are the bread-and-butter of getting a good score. And it has to be RIGHT when the ring hits the symbol, timing is EVERYTHING on this.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

The timing is much more lenient at the beginning of a note. Hit it early to be safe. Also don't remote play a rhythm section, I could see that messing things up.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@undeadpool: @stordoff: Yeah I think you're right. I went from not getting the basics down to figuring out what the steps thing even was then to probably overdoing it trying to get a bunch of steps in. Good advice

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By hassun

Majima sucks are karaoke too but he sure doesn't let that handicap crimp his style!

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By monkeyking1969

I am terrible at Karaoke and Disco. I mean I am lucky to get in the low triple digits. That means my dating, hostess training, and real estate battles suffers too.
Thankfully except for the actual Karaoke and Disco getting bad scores, the secondary uses doesn't set you back too far.

NattyBoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NattyBoh

I am terrible at Karaoke and Disco. I mean I am lucky to get in the low triple digits. That means my dating, hostess training, and real estate battles suffers too.

Thankfully except for the actual Karaoke and Disco getting bad scores, the secondary uses doesn't set you back too far.

This is the first time I've played a Yakuza game and I was really looking forward to it. I especially wanted to try out the dating, hostess training and real estate parts you mentioned. The setting of Japan in the 80's is pretty awesome too.

However, I'm incredibly bad at the karaoke (and most likely the dancing although I haven't tried yet).

I just finished the first karaoke and got a 36!! Unbelievably bad! The notes seem to go by so fast. By the time I realize which button is which and press it, the bar has moved past it.

I'm not good at rhythm games (other than Samba De Amigo) and I don't especially enjoy the karaoke activity so far. Are these activities really that important to the game?

Should I even bother playing it?

I am wondering if I should stop now and sell the game.

Any other rhythmically challenged players out there able to weigh in?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@nattyboh: That stuff is 100% optional. The only thing you get for doing well is some CP.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nattyboh: The karaoke scores do not set you back beyond a tiny bit of dialogue. You can without nay issues fail all of the karaoke battles in the game that are part of hostess training, business running, and other elements. So my advice is not to sweat failing the karaoke one bit...not one bit. Than same goes for dancing at the disco, you can fail those as well and they will not set you back on the other mini-games. The hostess club, business running, and other "more substantive" mine-games do not stop if you fail karaoke or disco events.

After playing teh whole game through I still suck at karaoke and disco, practice could not make me perfect. If there is one skill that Dan Ryckert has they is stupefying is his ability to knock-out karaoke on his first try - he is a fracking rhythm-game savant.

NattyBoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969@zeik Thanks guys. I took your advice and I'm really glad I did. I ended up playing up through chapter five. I love the story and the fighting, but I didn't enjoy the mini games at all.

I am just at the part of the story where I need to start the real estate business and I think this is where I drop out. I didn't understand their explanation on how to do the real estate and I don't want to put any time into figuring it out. Hiring people with different traits and assigning them to areas, pages and pages of tabs and details. This just doesn't sound like it's for me. If it was optional, I'd probably push through it.

I'm really glad that I picked this game up though and I can see myself trying another one down the line if I can pick it up for under $20. The game is so very Sega and I'm a big fan from way back.

Thanks again for your advice!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@nattyboh: you really don't need to do anything with the real estate stuff. Just main line the story if you're digging that.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nattyboh: The story intersects with the various mini-games here and there, to introduce you to them, but after their initial introduction you are free to basically ignore all of it. Mainlining the story is still 99% fighting and cutscenes.

NattyBoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good to know. Thanks again guys.