Need help - Weird shimmering/warping textures?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Nubster

Has anyone else noticed textures warping or shimmering while walking towards or away from them? This is especially noticeable on walls and street signs during slow zooms in cutscenes, but can be seen walking around town, too. I'm uploading a video to YouTube for an example, but in the meantime: does anyone know what I'm talking about, or how to fix it?

Edit: Video. You can see the letters on the Ivy Burger sign shift and warp and Kasuga walks toward it. I can upload a higher quality video if this one isn't clear enough.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I do remember seeing some graphic weirdness like this on PS4 actually, it cleared up after a console reboot and I've not seen it since.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I'm playing on PC so no console reboot option for me. :(

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I struggled real hard to notice what you were talking about. Are the signs usable as weapons like the previous games? Might be just because they aren't fixed in place so they can be grabbed, could also be some motion blur/depth of field weirdness if you have any of that stuff on. It was real hard for me to make out though, so maybe it's more prominent in real time than the video.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of us is crazy because I for the life of me cannot see what you're talking about in that video.

Avatar image for electricbarrier
electricbarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno man, all I'm seeing is LOD changing.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: @ivdamke: @electricbarrier: Okay here is a video that's a little higher quality. It is kind of hard to demonstrate because I can only upload to YouTube in 1080p and it crushes the fuck out of the video, but this one is more noticeable. Look at the brick texture on Survive Bar as I walk back and forth. It warps as if it's a piece of plastic under heat.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@the_nubster: I got this on Xbox Series X in performance mode. It's fairly easy to notice on my TV when I'm close enough to it.

Frankly I just assumed it was the game's graphics. It's a fairly minor issue that could be caused by a ton of different reasons, especially in how the game treats its textures. Yakuza games never have been graphical powerhouse either. Maybe an option on PC will help, but on Xbox I just accepted it'll look like this.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fear_the_booboo: I've gotten used to it for the most part, I would just love to know what it is. It is so bizarre and not something I've noticed in any other game I've played. I don't get issues like this in Kiwami 2 on PC, nor did I notice them in Yakuza 6 or Judgment on a PS4 Pro, so I'm assuming it's the result of some change they made to the engine between that game and this one. I have not seen any other discussion about this so I figured I'd put it out there to at least document that there is a weird thing happening.

It's interesting that you mention that you see it in Performance mode. I have all of the graphics settings turned up to max so I theoretically shouldn't be getting an image that is compromised in favour of maintaining frames.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghost_cat

I bet the Yakuza engine might sure some similarities as the Unreal engine when SSAO other similar effects are turned up. I'm playing the game too, but not on a super high-end PC, so since I'm in the mindset of "take what I can get" I never notice these things.

Also, everything looks fine to me from that video.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: Oh wow yea I see it. I would've first guessed it was how the engine manages draw distance with something like POM or Tessellation but that brick wall doesn't appear to be using those methods at all.

I would still assume it has to do with an optimization feature that's managing the textures though. It is very odd.

I wonder if it's a feature to reduce appeared tiling of repeated textures like brick at a distance? Because the texture is collapsing the tiled elements into itself.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke: Reducing the size of the bricks at a distance so there are fewer lines, or something similar?

I may fart around with the AA settings. I remember now it is on "Default" but it offers no explanation on what that is at all - which is weird because I'm fairly certain Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 0 both spell out their different AA methods. I left it as such because I assumed it would be the cleanest method, but it is worth checking out regardless.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By xbob42

Look I know this topic is years old, but a Google search returned this thread, so it's still relevant for a few of us!

Turns out this caused by TAA. I tried turning each setting off, which removed the issue, which to me looked almost like a heat haze, and was extremely distracting.

However, turning TAA back on, and this issue returned. MLAA returns a much more stable image.

So if there's anyone out there still looking for this issue like I am: switch TAA off or get used to it!