User Lists: 5

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Old friend Brian Ekberg is streaming some of it now. Looks so good. And digging the music.

https://www.twitch.tv/forzamotorsport

Waiting to play this on my PC so this will have to do for now.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm, wondering about this "demo only on Xbox Live" - only for XB1 or the PC demo just didn't get finished yet so they'll take a bit longer before releasing that.

You'd think they'd want to show the game off on the new platform, especially one where people are (justifiably) concerned about performance and how a game will run on their system. Would seem weird to only put the demo on the platform where people know it as a known quantity, sequel to another game on the system vs a platform that has never had a Horizon game before and only had a Forza recently in the form of a demo/test release of the Motorsport series.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

This would be a good chance to see if my computer can run it.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DharmaBum

Horizon 2 is a tough act to follow, but judging by this demo they seemed to have nailed what made that game excellent. The demo has a pretty sizable chunk of space to roam through and I was able to race against some other players. I'm not sure if progress will carry over to the full game, but there is some stuff like discount signs and leaderboard times that are being tracked.

Oh and best looking sky I've ever seen. The game looks gorgeous all-around which is to be expected from Playground Games.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dharmabum: Apparently to create that skybox some people spent a year in Australia just recording the sky. The results really show the effort put into it.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Is there much free roam available in the demo? I'm already buying the game, just want a little taste!

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Still pretty fucking miffed that there isn't a PC demo or any info about if PC is even getting one or not. I'm really hoping we will see it tomorrow when the Play Anywhere feature goes live with the release of ReCore.

STE89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty good I haven't played any of the horizon games before, but love the setting and looks and plays great! Got the taste for a open world racing game and this seems to fit the bill.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xgryfter said:

Still pretty fucking miffed that there isn't a PC demo or any info about if PC is even getting one or not. I'm really hoping we will see it tomorrow when the Play Anywhere feature goes live with the release of ReCore.

From the Forza site:

We know fans are curious about the state of a Windows 10 PC demo for Forza Horizon 3. A standalone “Forza Horizon 3” PC demo will be released sometime after launch. We invite all players who are eager to play Forza on PC to try “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex”, available now in the Windows 10 Store for free. The Windows 10 version of “Forza Horizon 3” has been built in lockstep with our learnings from “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex”, which just released out of Beta last week and added wheel support. We’re dedicated to bringing the quality and innovation our fans expect from Forza to the PC, and we’re confident players will have a fantastic experience with “Forza Horizon 3” at launch.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FH3_Demo_Announce

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old friend Brian Ekberg is streaming some of it now. Looks so good. And digging the music.

https://www.twitch.tv/forzamotorsport

Waiting to play this on my PC so this will have to do for now.

The Trials from Halo 5 is on the classical station so Im already sold lol

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like your progress resets once you end your session, so maybe it doesn't carry over.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in this one, I'm keen to see Turn 10's stupid stereotypical take on my homeland for myself. Looks pretty good from what I've seen so far.

Kingpk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Kingpk

Is Australia always this beautiful?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im really enjoying the setting so much more than Horizon 2. You go from paved beachside roads to dirt roads along hills to dense forest roads in just one race and they all feel different.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingpk said:

when it's not trying to kill you or locals aren't throwing Fosters cans at your helicopter as you're escaping.

yo man fuck these xbox one download/install times.

STE89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a bit annoying to go back in and find the demo starts over. But the demo did sell me on the game, so job done I guess..

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voodoopc said:
    @xgryfter said:

From the Forza site:

We know fans are curious about the state of a Windows 10 PC demo for Forza Horizon 3. A standalone “Forza Horizon 3” PC demo will be released sometime after launch. We invite all players who are eager to play Forza on PC to try “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex”, available now in the Windows 10 Store for free. The Windows 10 version of “Forza Horizon 3” has been built in lockstep with our learnings from “Forza Motorsport 6: Apex”, which just released out of Beta last week and added wheel support. We’re dedicated to bringing the quality and innovation our fans expect from Forza to the PC, and we’re confident players will have a fantastic experience with “Forza Horizon 3” at launch.

http://www.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/FH3_Demo_Announce

Ye, added after the initial update so lots of people will have missed it.

I hope MS are staffing up their online support staff (you need to talk to a representative to get a refund processed if you buy something that doesn't work on the Windows Store) if they've got no intention of letting people find out if this actually works on their computer or not before the official release/before paying for it. I'm sure some stuff is shared in tech between Apex and FH3 but also some of the systems cannot be shared because they're pretty different games.

Also not helping their case for PC gaming being a core strategy for the company. Especially as the way Play Anywhere works with this game, the PC version is more expensive than the XB1 version (because you can buy an XB1 disc, which can include retailer discounts, the digital copy which gives you access on both platforms is the only way to buy it for PC and even the base version costs more than the XB1 disc version in Europe). This should be their chance to sell Horizon as something better than the other open world series that have been coming to PC for years. That needs a timely demo, ideally using this hype window to push it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah based on the demo alone they've already got my money, god dammit. this and maybe civ vi this year and THAT'S IT.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be clear (as I've been a downer in this thread), this game looks pretty amazing. The press event a couple weeks back and this demo both help reinforce that (especially from people who similarly thought FH2 wasn't quite up to where FH1 reached).

I didn't really get on with FH2 (on 360 or XB1 - it didn't sell me in an era where more and more arcade open-world racing games are offering tweaks that make their handling approximate "sim-ish with physics-bending brakes and cross-terrain tyres", even if none of them walk down that path all the way to replicate a FH or try to offer a FM-like experience) but everything about this release looks to be bringing back the feel of the original game and some of the stunning scenery. I recently went back to replay Horizon 1 and it was everything I remembered of it. The tone to the progression to the expanded handling model to the routes - everything just worked perfectly to set a mood and drive you through the fast progression of content. Nothing like as long as a FM career, but also not about slowly refining your skills and pushing the limits of different vehicles on a small(ish) pool of tracks and their variants.

FH3 seems to be learning how to provide more content with the blueprints stuff (and the stuff that debuted in FH2 like dynamic conditions) - make what is here into something with replayability beyond the base leaderboards. I can't wait to see if people can build out some really new custom events with new rally routes beyond what's in the base game or find some new tarmac circuits - if some of those gain major popularity in the community then the game expands itself. Even if something only gains popularity in my car club, that'll be great for the leaderboard I actually care about topping (ye, my skills aren't ever going to be top page of the global leaderboards; unless you count F6: Apex where the entire leaderboard can be a few hundred for some of those weekly events).

Just the small stuff shows attention to detail: getting a basket for upgrades so you load it all onto the car, go back and forth on each tweak to sit under the performance index you want and only then buy the stuff you've decided in a final purchase step. None of this buying as you go alone and then changing your mind and tweaking the perf a different way. Obvious in retrospect.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already have the full game preloaded on X1. I love the setting and the game looks phenomenal. I love the horizon series!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The game looks and plays great as expected. Although I feel like Playground have inched towards more of an arcade-feel with the driving. Maybe I've just played too much Motorsport recently, but I wasn't able to get that "driving on the edge" feeling with the demo even on the hardest assist setting.

Nevertheless, I'll pre-order this once I get my salary at the end of this week. Very excited to see how my GTX 1060 will handle the graphics on the PC.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Im so pumped for this game. I just built my 1st ever gaming PC with a 1070 and a 144hz monitor. Im planning on using my DS4 with the pc, can anyone tell me if this will work?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shivoa

@randiolo: Grab something like InputMapper (previously called DS4Windows) and it will. Out of the box, I bet it's just like F6: Apex and so doesn't, but don't let that hold you back as a quick software tweak is all you need.

The problem is modern Windows games use XInput, which is an API for talking to up to 4 controllers using the standards built into the xbox 360 pad (and later used in the XB1 controller). But basically just those two most recent MS controllers use that protocol. Everything else (including the DS4 via bluetooth or via USB) uses the old standard called DirectInput. So when a game looks for an XInput device, it only sees 360 or XB1 controllers.

Luckily, stuff like InputMapper have been developed that take a DirectInput device and just relay everything that is input to a virtual XInput controller. So all your games that demand a MS controller work with every other controller out there. They've talked about it on the Bombcast a few times.

Until the game releases (or if they bring forward the demo date on PC) we don't know this for sure but this is the case for Forza 6: Apex and they've said they share code.

Ok, everything I wrote above is 99% correct. The 1% incorrect is they just added that wheel support to Forza 6: Apex. All those wheels, for reasons I described above, are DirectInput devices.

So when they added wheel support to Apex, they also added generic gamepad support. I just plugged a DS4 into my Win10 system, waited the 10 seconds for the default driver to install, checked in Devices and Printers that it was working as a generic controller (not a 360 pad), and loaded up Apex. It just works. Out of the box driving through the menus and everything is mapped right. Seemed perfect.

So, assuming the wheel support in FH3 is the same code as Apex uses, I'm going to say I expect that just plugging the DS4 into your PC is all you need to do and it'll just work). All the button icons will still be the XB1 controller icons, but they'll work right when pressing the DS4 equivalents. Good news everyone!

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@shivoa: Ah sweet thanks bud. I was already using DS4windows but i thought that this being a Microsoft product id be forced into using a XB1 controller, but what u said makes total sense.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This game is really good. Like, GOTY good (even though I was sure HITMAN had that locked up in my book). There aren't many ways to improve upon Horizon 2, but there are multiple areas where some tweaks here and there are paying huge dividends. Damn, it's a pretty game, too. I'll post a full review after I've played through it next weekend, but the first impressions are strong. Pick this one up, fellas. This looks like something special.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

yo man fuck these xbox one download/install times.

Is it really bad for you? For me the downloads aren't Steam speeds but they're decently fast. I had the Horizon demo downloaded in about 45 minutes. Now PSN's download times can fuck right off. I had to leave Overwatch to download overnight during the free weekend.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: oh man Overwatch took me two days to download on PSN on 75Mb internet. PSN speeds are trash

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

@darth_navster: i wasnt exactly measuring but it took me about two hours and i get 120Mbps down.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@ripelivejam: Yeah, that's not great. Maybe you downloaded during a network peak? I downloaded the demo this morning as I was getting ready for work so Xbox Live might've had a bit less traffic then.

budgietheii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every man and his dog was downloading the demo when it hit, so wasn't surprised it was going slower than the usually acceptable speeds I get.

RE does it run acceptably on my PC. If you look at a play anywhere game in the windows store it clearly lists the minimum and recommend specs and whether you system specs hit each of those. So really it's on you to check that. Or wait and see how the reviews say it runs.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this demo...

The ultimate edition on PC keeps staring back at me...

xGryfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate all of you who are playing this now...

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shivoa
    @budgietheii said:

RE does it run acceptably on my PC. If you look at a play anywhere game in the windows store it clearly lists the minimum and recommend specs and whether you system specs hit each of those. So really it's on you to check that. Or wait and see how the reviews say it runs.

Ahahahaha!

Spec list and what actually works or randomly crashes or actually doesn't run at 20fps or above even with Min settings at low res so no that's not what's acceptable for a twitch game is far too complex for a quick list. Remember Windows Experience (Performance) Index and how that's quietly gone away: a spec list doesn't even factor in things like your OS condition or driver weirdness or other hardware oddities (as it's just a string comparison, not running a perf test and then generating a value - Win Index was a pretty iffy system but at least it ran some numbers to guess at perf level).

As someone who has worked on games dev (although not during this decade) and is now a programmer: you absolutely have to worry about refunds because stuff will just randomly not work and it'll cost way more to support a user whose machine just happens to not run the game right than giving them their money back. The really unusual edge cases are out there but you'll never catch them during development/testing and replication alone is a nightmare. The common issues get fixed, the rest need a refund policy to deal with. That includes people whose machines don't seem to be configured properly and so run at half the perf you'd expect from the hardware choices (or because you never expected anyone to be running Random Pro Hardware Device X which has a driver that constantly eats 10% of the CPU budget at all times - a totally irrelevant detail, other than their machine can't run things that the spec sheet makes it sound like it should).

Same deal with reviewers: as if there's even a hint of consensus out there for most PC releases. Even something like Arkham Knight seemed to have a good mix of reviewers who never saw a single issue on their personal machine. You either expect a decent return rate or you put out a pre-release demo. Waiting until after release for the PC demo seems a bad move.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of what i watched looks like straight up MotorStorm Pacific Rift. Which is great!

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingpk said:

It's uncanny!

Actually yeah, what I've seen so far seems representative of some part of Australia or other, mainly southern parts of Queensland (which makes sense, because that's where it's set?) but you'll get that grassy hills and bushland look in NSW as well, if a little less green. They clearly want to bring all the different pretty-looking landscapes in Australia closer to one another than is realistic, though, which should be obvious from things like those rock formations which look suspiciously like the twelve apostles (which are down in Victoria) showing up on the beach leading up to Byron Bay. But we knew going into this that they were going to be layering on the cheese.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got around to finally trying out the demo and Jesus, this is an amazing looking game. I'm not a graphics snob, but this would make me want to upgrade to the Scorpio and my TV.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.