Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon 3

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 23, 2016

The Horizon Festival goes to Australia.

Forza Horizon 3 sets the bar sky-high...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By notnert427

There is a good argument that Forza Horizon 2 is the greatest racing game ever made. Or, should I say....there was. Playground Games has managed to improve upon a nearly-perfect thing. There are so many nice touches here and there that may not be immediately apparent, but help the driving experience feel that much more fun and real. Chief among these additions is the work that's been done on the audio. With the addition of a Groove Music channel streaming your own mp3s as the in-car radio, Forza just got a lot more personal. Unfortunately, I haven't yet gotten a chance to fully utilize this, as you have to unlock the "station" through progression, but reports there are that it works as it should. Until then, I'm left to amuse myself with the game's soundtrack, and with "X Gon' Give It to Ya" as the first song that came on the radio, well, mission accomplished there. The audio improvements aren't just to the music, though. In watching the game's completely awesome E3 trailer way too many times as my hype train for this blazed full steam ahead, I had taken notice of how terrific the multi-channel audio was with proper doppler effects, location-specific engine/exhaust noise, etc. It's an impressive listen, but I assumed it was just cleverly applied cues for the trailer that wouldn't make their way into the actual game.

Thankfully, the real thing is just as much the eargasm. The neighboring condo units are about to hate me, because I'm going to keep the audio cranked for this game. When it's this good, how can you not? Reminiscent of PGR games long gone, the ticking combo meter in drift zones brings the nostalgia rushing back, and I find myself appreciating some tire/engine noise that hasn't really been realized this well since NFS: Shift. Guttural big-blocks roar forward and aft as we jockey for positioning during a race. I splash through a puddle, and I hear a mechanical ker-chunk as I gear down to climb the hill ahead. To add to the sensory overload, we drive into the rain, which splats and streams off of my windshield in stunningly realistic fashion. I can hear my tires hydroplane around a corner in a bit of mind-trickery that makes the game's forgiving arcade handling seem much less so in the moment as the race intensifies. During the race, the sun emerges from the clouds, rays of light shine through the trees, and the wet tarmac glistens as I cross the finish line. It's beautiful. All of it.

It's a single rainbow! WOOOOO!!!!
    It's a single rainbow! WOOOOO!!!!

MS apparently spent a chunk of change and time battling the generally murder-y Australian wildlife to capture a Summer's worth of Australian skies to create the sky in Horizon 3, and the results are incredible. Even on my launch Xbox One running through a 2011 mid-range Samsung TV, the game is jaw-dropping. I'm betting you could toss my now-dated setup in some Best Buy running this game and pretend it's a showcase for a 4K HDR TV/Xbox One S bundle, and very few would question it. The lighting/skybox in this game is simply that good. It's hard to describe the way the setting sun pleasantly glows and blankets the world in a orange/yellow hue or seeing the arc of a rainbow under the rolling clouds mid-race, but I found myself bordering on "double rainbow guy" territory with how much I was appreciating the virtual vistas. Playground seems quite aware of what they've built, and has made it a point to try and capitalize on it with the new addition of "beauty spots", which highlight some of the prettiest parts of the map. In the immortal words of the Ryckert family, "look at it".

To do precisely that, Horizon 3 has the great Photo Mode I've come to expect from the series. I've always enjoyed taking in the virtual environments, and those times when everything comes together for the perfect shot are extremely satisfying. The dynamic weather, day/night cycle, and the varied action inherent to playing the actual game makes everything feel that much more fleeting and special, as that great picture you timed just right will never happen again and can't really be replicated. Playground has taken this a step further with "drone mode" this time around. Yes, you have a virtual drone you can fly around the entire map. While you unfortunately cannot presently take pictures from this mode, the live-action nature of this adds a really cool layer of depth to this world. I found myself playing virtual director and turning my drone into a chase cam on random cars. There's something oddly peaceful about watching Drivatars cruise around pseudo-Australia or letting the drone just hover to watch the waves crash on the beach next to your Lamborghini. It makes for one hell of a relaxation simulator, and I don't think I'll be the only one who captures video of it and turns it into a live wallpaper.

The devil chicken is here to make a splash.
    The devil chicken is here to make a splash.

They have addressed the "dude" issue from Horizon 2 as well. For those of you who didn't play that game, arguably the worst part of it was that 1) the game made you the most generic of white males and 2) that the other NPCs called you "dude" in virtually every bit of voicework. It got very old very quickly. Thankfully, this time around, they've given you more options on both your character and name. The character select isn't a character creator or anything; it's instead a small collection of near-avatars you get to choose from that look like a stereotype-heavy MTV Real World cast. While it's not exactly what I'd call a huge win for diversity, it's at least a welcome step in the right direction of inclusivity. Better still are the options for your name. You get to choose between either having the game refer to you by your actual name (which, in practice, is simultaneously cool and creepy) or by your choice of an assortment of nicknames. That you can make the game call you El Pollo Diablo the whole time is delightfully dumb.

As far as performance and gameplay, it's running at a consistent 30 FPS (it's supposedly unlocked and 4K on PC, FWIW). Much like Horizon 2, the framerate on the console version is rock-solid to where I don't find the FPS offputting at all. Coming off of the 60 of Forza 6, it is a little bit noticeable, but personally, I'm more than happy to trade a little FPS for the fantastic overall visual package. That's a personal preference thing, I suppose, but I doubt many would contend that Forza 6 is a better-looking game (even though it was no slouch in that department). Everything is up to the quality you'd expect from the series and races are mostly structured the same, except with a bit more customization on routes now that you're running the festival. The game has arcade-y handling by default (for better and worse), so don't expect off-roading and puddles to bog you down as much as Forza 6 and you'll probably enjoy it just fine. Much of the car list that's been in the past few Forzas returns, plus some region-specific vehicles like Utes and gameplay-relevant vehicles like off-road race trucks. Somewhere, Ivan Ironman Stewart is smiling.

Forza Horizon 3 is something special. It's a must-own for anyone with an Xbox One. I can't vouch for the PC version (though I certainly hope it comes though). The map is huge and offers a variety of enjoyable terrain to drive in and behold, with both urban and rural areas to gleefully tear through at high speed. Still, I think half of me was ready to get territorial about Horizon 2 because I loved that game and its setting so damn much, but all I can come up with in the way of complaints about Horizon 3 is that...uh...um...I want to visit Australia now? I've been fully prepared to enthusiastically crown HITMAN my 2016 GOTY for some time, but now I'm forced to seriously reconsider. Horizon 3 is a visual marvel, tackles what few qualms there were with its predecessor, and adds some fun features on top of it all. It's an absolute triumph.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@kingbonesaw: Well, if you're not opposed, it IS on Windows 10 as well.

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

This is a great review and now I'm somehow even more excited for this game now. Hearing you say it's better than Hitman (for you obviously), I can't wait to play it since Hitman is my GOTY right now as well. I'm ready for the comparisons to begin and for the guys (and hopefully a lady soon) to argue about GOTY.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The hype got to me and I preordered the game even though I haven't preordered a game in years. And then, last night the HDD on my PC dies and it will be at least a week before I get the replacement.

That will teach me.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xanadu

I just did something real dumb. I just bought the $100 ultimate version so I can start playing today. Man I hope my i5 2400 can hold on with my 970 for this one. I havent owned and Xbox since the Forza games got big so this is my first real Forza game and I'm pretty excited about it.

Edit: I am very excited to say that my worries about the performance were quickly settled as I booted up Forza Horizon 3. I am no where near maxing this game out but my current custom settings look pretty damn good and its locked in at 60fps! Also another huge surprise was the fact that the game has full suport for my racing wheel!!!!!!! Forza Apex would only allow me to drive with the wheel but if I wanted to rewind I had to use my controller. So far, I am not disappointed with having no patience and buying the game early :)

RPJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great piece, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to diving in on the Win10 version!

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WynnDuffy

Forza Horizon is made in my humble hometown, it's a little surreal seeing such a blockbuster of a game come from my place of 50,000 people.

One of my friends works for Playground Games as well.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanadu said:

I just did something real dumb. I just bought the $100 ultimate version so I can start playing today. Man I hope my i5 2400 can hold on with my 970 for this one. I havent owned and Xbox since the Forza games got big so this is my first real Forza game and I'm pretty excited about it.

seems with AMD you're kinda SOL so i think you should be fine. i can only really get (almost always) steady 30fps at 1440p/High/Dynamic wtih a gtx 1080/fx8350. dropping to 1080p seems to have negligible effect. still pretty though!

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xanadu

@ripelivejam: Thats a bummer about AMD :( I just updated my post to confirm that it does work really well with lower end Intel cards!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

How are the race "tracks." Does it allow for some actual racing or is it all just high speed straights?

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: Test out different settings, 16x AF seems to be a killer of framerate for instance, which is pretty unusual.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: there's real track-like tracks (unlike that crud waffle burnout paradise ;) )

SpotAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great review, thanks OP. I know the driving willl be spectacular as always, so just a couple of questions regarding visuals for the graphics whore in me. ;)

You mentioned the skyboxes, but does it have the volumetric lighting through the clouds as with Driveclub? And the rain looks cool, but how does that affect the environment visually? I see rainbows in your photo, but does cloud cover increase or other effects such as lightning occur?

Again, great enthusiastic review. You're going to make me plunk down a Benjamin just to play this a few days early!

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great review, thanks OP. I know the driving willl be spectacular as always, so just a couple of questions regarding visuals for the graphics whore in me. ;)

You mentioned the skyboxes, but does it have the volumetric lighting through the clouds as with Driveclub? And the rain looks cool, but how does that affect the environment visually? I see rainbows in your photo, but does cloud cover increase or other effects such as lightning occur?

Again, great enthusiastic review. You're going to make me plunk down a Benjamin just to play this a few days early!

@shivoa is probably the best guy to answer those graphics questions. I'm not well-versed enough on the technical processes to give an educated answer. In other words, I can't explain why it looks great, but I can observe that it looks great. Regarding the cloud cover, yes, it does appear to increase for rain and vice versa. Perhaps more impressively, rain clouds actually look darker as rain clouds do in real-life. I don't believe lightning is in the game, or at least I haven't seen it yet. I'll stand behind the skybox overall as the best I've seen, though. MS' HDR rig they used to capture the sky leads me to believe it's about as 1:1 as you can get, but perhaps someone can shed some more technical light on it.

@ht101 said:

This is a great review and now I'm somehow even more excited for this game now. Hearing you say it's better than Hitman (for you obviously), I can't wait to play it since Hitman is my GOTY right now as well. I'm ready for the comparisons to begin and for the guys (and hopefully a lady soon) to argue about GOTY.

It's going to be a tough call. Both are incredible playgrounds, except one is for driving and one is for murdering. Part of me wants to go with HITMAN because it's so hilariously dumb and has capitalized on the potential the series has always had, but it's hard for me not to give due credit for the work Playground has done with Horizon 3. I'm going to have to give this discussion a whole lot more thought, but both are truly fantastic games that will find a spot in my all-time top ten.

How are the race "tracks." Does it allow for some actual racing or is it all just high speed straights?

The map is giant, and has just about every layout of tarmac/dirt imaginable. There is plenty of racing to be had, whether it be off-road, tight city streets, high-speed freeway, blazing through the rainforest, etc.

Other observations after spending some more time with the game:

- I didn't give the water puddles enough credit in terms of how they affect driving. In one of the Outback races (which I named Blooming Onion because I'm an idiot), I found myself falling behind due to driving through a few puddles the competition didn't.

- I unlocked the Groove Music playlist. It works...for the most part. I had to go into the audio settings to pick my playlist before it properly fired up, and I've noticed some weird skipping, mostly when you come in/out of events. Still, it's cool to have your own music, and the ability to change tracks on your own playlists by changing stations and then back is nice.

- I'm really enjoying the variety of terrain yet, and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface of the map yet. This game rules.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And the rain looks cool, but how does that affect the environment visually? I see rainbows in your photo, but does cloud cover increase or other effects such as lightning occur?

Just to further help answer this question visually, I took the following screenshot of some rainy-looking clouds rolling in. It started pouring down about 30 seconds after this. Pretty cool stuff.

No Caption Provided

Also, given the lack of a proper FH3 review by the site, I went ahead and posted an updated version of the OP as a user review on the Horizon 3 page.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.