The Horizon Festival goes to Australia.

Is the PC version still busted?

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When this came out there was a lot of talk about this game struggling on even the best hardware. Has this been thoroughly patched or is it still fucked? I have a GTX 1080 and an i7 6700k and if that is still the case there's no way I'm buying this. Anyone played a recent patch?

Laethe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, still dipping to the low 50s on a GTX 1080 here.

It's a shame because I think it's one of the best driving game ever, but I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it until they patch it properly.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not having major problems any more (980ti, 4670k) at 1080p/Ultra. It's solid at 60 everywhere apart from a few areas in Surfers Paradise and even then, the frame drops are nothing like they were and perfectly playable.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By officer_falcon

Haven't had any issues recently. Been playing at a solid 60fps with the occasional dip into the high 50s.

Playing on at 4k with a msi 1070. Everything set to ultra but turned off AA options.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a lot better now but still very CPU dependent.

If you want to hit 60fps consistently there will need to compromises in the graphics settings.

If you lock it at 30fps, you can crank it up to ultra.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By AlexW00d

It's not awful no. I get mostly 72 (capped) fps driving around anywhere not surfers paradise where it does drop to 40s. This is with a 1060 and a 2500k cranked to 4.6ghz at 1080p.

E: Should probably add I only use in car view which probably increases my fps a bit.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a PC demo now which should give a decent idea of performance. I played that and got consistent 60 with an i7 6700 and a 1070.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2500k at 4.6 and 1070 here. I have it maxed out and the frame rate is great for me basically everywhere but the city, specifically the area around the rail car tracks. I saw the videos people were posting around launch and I don't get any of that stutter. For the most part it's pretty solid, but it could certainly stand to run better for sure.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

In conclusion, Forza Horizon 3 is a game of contrasts.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never had an issue, probably my game of the year. 980 ti, 4770k

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By soulcake

The port is still shit so yes. But if you got a 1080 you will probably be fine cause that card blows everything out of the water.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphasquid: Where can you find the demo? I just checked the Windows store and saw no sign of it. I was looking forward to the game pre-release and then scared off by the tales of optimization woes and would be really curious to see how it runs on my PC.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Has anyone had any luck running it on a 970? Is it even worth it if I can play it on my Xbox One or will I still see a significant visual upgrade?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@soulcake: It doesnt matter if your gpu blows since the problems was never gpu bound.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nnickers: It's definitely on the store. It is the one explicitly named Forza Horizon 3 Demo.

No Caption Provided

Also yes, scaling up your cpu seems to be the thing that helps performance from everything I've read and experienced. Certainly points to being cpu bound.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nnickers

@subjugation: Wow, yeah ok I found it searching just like that. Evidently there's no link to the demo from the main product page though. The Windows Store is such a mess.

Edit: Well, as soon as you enter the gameplay, if you have a DS4 connected with or without DS4Windows active the game seems to just completely freak out as if it's registering every button press possible at all times. Seems completely unplayable with a DS4 unless I'm missing something. This was not the bummer I was expecting.

Edit edit: Apparently a DS4 works only when plugged in, go figure. That aside, I absolutely loved the demo.

And for those curious about performance: at 1440p my 1070 and 6700k maintained 60fps 95% of the time, dropping to only about 55fps in the residential area. Definitely a strange drop as it seems less demanding than the jungle, but far from a deal breaker.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

A new patch got pushed through along with the Hot Wheels expansion. This patch seems to have fixed most if not all problems with the PC release. I can now get a pretty stable locked 60fps at Ultra settings with my GTX 1060, even in the city areas. I highly recommend everyone to try the game again!

PS: I did have to "reset" the game at first, since it kept crashing at the initial load. Works fine now though.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#19 chaser324  Moderator

I haven't tried it, but I've heard very good things about the new patch. I'm definitely going to give it another shot.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nnickers

I've been waiting and hoping it would come over to steam eventually, a la quantum break, but enough time has passed by now for that to seem unlikely. This may be enough to finally push me over the edge toward buying a damn windows store game.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I have an i5-6600k (stock) and a GTX 980. While performance (at High/60 settings) is greatly improved for me, it's still not 100% rock solid. Going through the train street in Surfer's Paradise will still drop a few frames for half a second here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more inclined to play more now. Especially with the Hot Wheels expansion. But, I was hoping for more.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting between 70 and 100fps on ultra, 1440p, with a 1070 and 4890k. The most recent patch gave me ~20fps gains everywhere. I'm leaving it capped at 72 and the only time it drops below that is in Surfer's Paradise with a lot of cars on screen. Even then it's right around 60.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#23 chaser324  Moderator

@nnickers: FH3 was developed by a Microsoft owned studio and published by Microsoft. It's never coming to Steam unless something drastic happens like MS shutting down the Windows store or acquiring Valve.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

I should actually go back to that game. Played a ton with my roommate and just built a new PC with a 7700k and a 1080ti. Even my 980ti was MOSTLY good at 4K.

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very impressed with the new patch. I was getting anywhere from 70 to 90 fps with dips into the low 50s in surfers paradise at 1440p ultra (w/ shadows @ high and 4x msaa). Now I'm getting a solid 100-110+ fps with absolutely everything maxed out, even at 8x msaa. Looks sooo sharp. :)

This is all with a 6600k @ 4.6GHz and 1080ti stock.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It finally remembers to switch to borderless fullscreen.

Best. Patch. Ever.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Moved from a 2500K with an R9 270X to a 7700 with a 1060 6GB and the game went from 30fps on medium to 1080p60 with everything but basically tree geometry maxed out. Hopefully it runs well on something less than that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.