Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon 4

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Sep 28, 2018

The fourth Forza Horizon takes the festival to the United Kingdom and features full seasonal changes throughout the open world.

Audio Stuttering Problem?

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hey guys, I downloaded and starting playing Forza Horizon 4 on my PC. The frame rate is smooth as silk, but for some reason the audio keeps stuttering. The stutter only lasts about a second and half, but is happening quite frequently. The answers Google gave me (changing the audio driver settings) didn't really help the stutter. Was just wondering if any GB folks ran into this problem.

Thanks!

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I've been getting some really minor microstutter on PC. It happens rarely, but it is noticeable. My PC isn't really good to begin with, so I'm not gonna blame the game completely. The audio also kinda skips (I think, the stutter is so sudden and it goes right back up). Hopefully you get a fix.

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not sure if it is same thing but I had a lot of static/crackling with sound for me. Looking at Forza forums seems to be problem with actual sound cards and this game as opposed to basic built in motherboard sound. The workaround for this problem for now is changing some of the windows settings such as 24bit/9600 khz and choosing 7.1 speakers even if you dont have them.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xanadu

@aounslaught: I havent had any problems at all. Also, Im definitely not an audio PC expert to diagnose your issue but there may be some more information you can give to help sort out the issue: What kind of display are you using and what kind of audio connection are you using? Are they separate or joined? What I mean is are you pulling audio from an HDMI source that is also being used for you monitor? Or do you have a regular DVI/Display Port setup for video with a separate audio source?? Have you tired switching between all audio sources possible to diagnose the issue?

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have had audio stuttering as well and after playing the game for a few hours the entire game starts hitching/chugging with the audio stuttering. When it stops the frame rate is smooth again. Not sure if its the game or my computer, but I haven't had this issue with other games.

Panther2103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get occasional Audio Stutter (very small amounts), but reading about it, it sounds like it's frame rate drops. Weird thing is, I'm at a constant 60 fps.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I switched to the console and not only is the microstutter worse, I do have the audio issue as well. So I am now going to confidently say that it's the game. It's rare and doesn't impede my enjoyment, but yeah.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I know the demo had a weird thing where only the movie file audio would play. So the demo started with dev logo audio, then no music for the start menu (as that plays from the soundtrack file), then the demo starts with some of the sounds but not the voice over welcoming you and explaining Horizon (as the intro video has some sounds baked in but the voice over isn't baked, presumably as they've got multi-lingual recordings for different versions), and cuts to in-engine for the actual game and it's totally silent (as there's no video file playing). Playground said it was fixed almost as soon as the bug was discussed on the forums (something about changing the "disable all enhancements" setting in Windows - I had the bug and that setting did nothing to fix it).

What I find really interesting is that the same bug seemed to happen for a small percentage of Xbox users. Like, this is something really weird and glitchy deep inside the game that they can't even guarantee it doesn't happen on totally fixed hardware where they know exactly what drivers are running etc. On top of the audio stutter and static issues reported (which also got reported on some Xboxes so not a PC issue). It's such a strange issue to have considering this is presumably an evolution of the same engine that ran FM7 (and was fixed over a year of patching FH3).

Aounslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xanadu: Hey thanks for the post. I'm using an Asus 144hz 1ms gaming monitor with a Display Port. The audio is from Creative speakers using a 3.5mm audio jack, the stutter only happens with Forza. I've done all the things you've suggested but still the same issue and never with anything else.

I'm not getting the static noise(thankfully, because that sounds way more annoying).

Like others have mentioned, it does feel like frame skips. But like @Panther2103, my actual frame rate doesn't take a hit at all. It's not the worst thing in the world by any stretch of the term, but definitely annoying over long stretches.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aounslaught: Man that's ruff. I have no idea what causes this issue for everybody. I'mu using the same set up as you. 144hz monitor via display port and 3.5mm Audio jack.

Only other thing I can think of would be ati/nvidia. I'm on an Nividia card and using g-sync with v-sync turned off and I have no issues.

upgiantgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Same issue with my game.

Constant, unbearable static noise.

I have tried the 24bit/9600 khz & 7.1 speakers method, but windows doesn't seem to let me do the settings this way.

Whenever I change to 7.1, it reverted back to 16 bit. I can't select 24bit/9600 khz & 7.1 at the same time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.