Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

Wish there was a PC version?

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By subyman

I love open world racing games. I remember playing Gran Turismo 1 in the 90's and thinking, "wouldn't it be awesome to cruise around and drive between the race events?" Luckily, we started getting some open world racing games in the PS2 era. That same thought struck me when I was playing Forza 1. Now we finally have an open world Forza based on the great Forza simulation engine.

The game is great, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about what it would look like if there were a PC version. I'd love to play it on my 2560x1440 monitor with AA, AF and all the graphical options. Then I could also use my G27. I'm very excited to get my hands on Forza Horizon, too bad it had to come out at the very end of this generation now that the consoles look tired.

The good news is, the next Forza Horizon will be on the new Xbox.

PS. I wonder if the Turn 10 guys would have liked to see their game in all its glory on a high end PC? I'm sure they have builds that run on PC, that would be cool to see.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Based on all the positive buzz the new Forza game is getting, yeah, I do wish there was a PC version. Then I'd have an excuse to buy a racing wheel.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it's a damn feat that those games run at a smooth 60 FPS while looking as good as they do. A PC version would have a lot of potential, that's for sure.

Still, that would kinda give me another reason to stop using the Xbox, so I don't mind it having an exclusive now and then. Sure needs 'em.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By murisan

+1 from me. I've been going back and forth trying to decide if it's worth it to go buy the game.. $60.. odds would be I could find it for ~$40-50 if it were on PC.

I sorta told myself I'd limit to one AAA game a month, but I broke that rule already for October, and November has Halo 4 preordered. First world problems.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By iamjohn

@Ravenlight said:

Based on all the positive buzz the new Forza game is getting, yeah, I do swish there was a PC version. Then I'd have an excuse to buy a racing wheel.

Don't buy a racing wheel.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

I have a 360 and I would really like to pick it up, but I don't really want to buy much else for my 360 besides Halo 4. I want a PC version, plain and simple.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By coaxmetal

I also wish there were a PC version, but im gonna get my open-world racing fill soon with NFS: MW (the second of its name). Too bad I had to finally sign up for origin though. Neither mass effect 3 nor BF3 nor any other EA property yet has made me care enough to do it, but the unofficial Burnout Paradise sequel has.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By alternate

@subyman said:

PS. I wonder if the Turn 10 guys would have liked to see their game in all its glory on a high end PC? I'm sure they have builds that run on PC, that would be cool to see.

Turn 10 didn't make it.

pyide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pyide

@MikkaQ said:

I think it's a damn feat that those games run at a smooth 60 FPS while looking as good as they do. A PC version would have a lot of potential, that's for sure.

Still, that would kinda give me another reason to stop using the Xbox, so I don't mind it having an exclusive now and then. Sure needs 'em.

Horizon is only 30 FPS unfortunately. They had to scale it back from Forza proper's 60 to do the open world and day / night cycle stuff in this one. Which kills a lot the game's sense of speed when driving fast in my opinion.

I'd love to see a PC version running at a higher res, better framerate, and even just for some freaking anisotropic filtering. The textures on the roads and signs are so blurry when you aren't right on top of them.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

@pyide: Wow learning that is actually making me question buying it. The smooth racing is a big part of the appeal for me. I like racing games to feel fast. The whole open world thing better be good enough to make up for it, but I've yet to see many racing games do open worlds that well, barring Burnout Paradise.

pyide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pyide

@MikkaQ: Well, there is a demo you can try first and see if it bothers you. Most people don't even care or notice but I know exactly what you mean about wanting racing games to feel fast, in Horizon it stood out to me immediately having just come off a long stretch of Forza 4. It's still perfectly fine and playable at 30fps, but it does feel like it's missing something when driving fast.

Get up to 170+ on the third race with the Viper in the demo, and it's like you've barely cracked 100mph. The game also has a heavy and artificial camera shake setting on by default which gets crazier as you go faster, the only purpose that it seems to serve is to mask the lacking sense of speed. When you turn it off it'll feel like you are going even slower when pushing top speeds, less annoying and headache inducing when turned off though.

I've seen people claim that the 30 frames per second gives Forza Horizon a greater sense of speed the previous Forza games, so yeah. Take any of this with a grain of salt until you play it for yourself. I would call those people crazy but in the end it's not a dealbreaker even for someone like myself who really cares about a solid 60 in a game where you are driving and racing fast cars.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By xshinobi

Gotta love Microsoft's support for the PC.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By impartialgecko

I wish it was on all platforms. I still think platform exclusive screw the consumer over.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thebatmobile

I would play the shit out of this game if it was available on PC. Just built a really nice new one as well.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zaglis

@Xshinobi said:

Gotta love Microsoft's support for the PC.

They have been putting bunch of MS published XBLA games on PC AND just recently patched in Steamworks support in Toy Soldiers while not including GWFL in newest titles at all like Mark of Ninja and Deadlight. So, yeah, whoever is in charge on the digital side is doing a fantastic job.

Still sucks that they didn't give Gears 3/Judgement, Halo Reach/4 or Forza even a chance on the PC.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jayjonesjunior

I love M$, they shoehorn Xbox Live in all their plataforms (Phone, Tablet, PC) but they make sure to sabotage PC gaming as much as possible to promote their console.

Hey Microsoft, Windows users are your clients too.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nights

I'd pick this game up if it was on the PC. Rarely feel like booting up my 360 anymore. Oh well.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By beepmachine

I would definitely get this on PC, as I don't have an xbox. Hey, if Alan Wake made it to PC, this should have no problem.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By granderojo

I miss the days of AAA car sims on PC. If there was ever a platform that deserved a PC release it would be Forza.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ripelivejam

start a petition so you can get an inferior port and bitch about it being on pc!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it is an XBox exclusive series, in the same vain as Halo and the like. They want people who think the game looks cool to go out and buy their system just to play it. That does not mean that it would not be awesome on PC and I would rather play it on there, (mostly because I don't own and XBox).

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

Definitely, the game already looks amazing on xbox, it would probably be mindblowing on PC. Then again, it's probably very specifically tuned to run on the xbox and porting it would take some serious effort. I'd rather have no port than a bad port.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d

@iAmJohn said:

@Ravenlight said:

Based on all the positive buzz the new Forza game is getting, yeah, I do swish there was a PC version. Then I'd have an excuse to buy a racing wheel.

BUY A RACING WHEEL RAVENLIGHT. DO IT.

jamesg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By jamesg

whats wrong with project cars?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zombie2011

@AlexW00d said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Ravenlight said:

After i saw this video i was soo damn close to buying a racing wheel.

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iceman228433

Yes but $soft hates the pc.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By emem
    @zombie2011 said:

@AlexW00d said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Ravenlight said:

Buy a racing wheel if you are willing to either buy  or build a racing seat yourself... it's the most amazing thing and SO MUCH fun! Of course you need enough room to set it up and store it afterwards, but it's totally worth the investment if you play a lot of racing games.
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ravenlight

@emem said:

@zombie2011 said:

@AlexW00d said:

@iAmJohn said:

@Ravenlight said:

Buy a racing wheel if you are willing to either buy or build a racing seat yourself... it's the most amazing thing and SO MUCH fun! Of course you need enough room to set it up and store it afterwards, but it's totally worth the investment if you play a lot of racing games.

I don't have any room for a racing setup or any money, but now that someone's mentioned it, this sounds like a great idea!

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By emem
    @Ravenlight said:

@emem said:

Buy a racing wheel if you are willing to either buy or build a racing seat yourself... it's the most amazing thing and SO MUCH fun! Of course you need enough room to set it up and store it afterwards, but it's totally worth the investment if you play a lot of racing games.

I don't have any room for a racing setup or any money, but now that someone's mentioned it, this sounds like a great idea!

Yeah, some people just buy a racing wheel with pedals and then they realise that they don't have a table to bolt it to or their desk is too close to the wall so they can't really use the pedals etc... Oh there was one guy I know who actually had an office chair and every time he put his feet on the pedals his chair rolled backwards. He used a different chair later on, but that really made me laugh at the time. :P 

There are a lot of things to consider before buying a racing wheel and people who flat out say "don't buy one" have probably never used one with a good setup. I found this picture yesterday... how awesome is that?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.