Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

I don't know how to drive... Help!

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jambones

So Forza, and especially last night's awesome Race Night, has really turned me on to cars and racing. 

It's a sad fact, that I am 27 years old and have no clue when it comes to driving: I was learning just before I left England, but due to immigration paperwork have still yet to learn here in the US.

So I was hoping to enlist a few of you could get me on the path to being a gear-head, both in-game and in real life. Websites, reading material, and maybe some messing around in-game would be much appreciated.

Now I have to go think up a rad paint job for my clunker.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Slow down around corners. Especially if you're doing hairpin turns on a steep cliff. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By iam3green

it's easy:
     u just buckle seatbelt (safety first :)  ) 
    adjust mirrors to be in blind spots
    put in drive
    press on gas
    ???? 
    profit!!!

read some car and driver magazines. start by playing forza on easy to get a hang of driving. the game is different compared to say arcade racing gmes.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Shadow

Practice

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By gunslingerNZ

Driving on the road is braindead easy, driving safely on the road is only slightly less straightforward but driving on the track takes a bunch of technical skills.

What sort of driving were you wanting advice on?

When it comes to driving on the road all you need to know is:

• put the clutch in when you're stopped so you don't stall
    • release the clutch gradually while applying gas to get going
    • don't drive like other tools do and actually check your mirrors before you change lanes and stuff
    Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Laharl

Ever play burnout? yea its alot like that, just hit slow mo when you get scared.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By PerryVandell

If you are just beginning to drive, then I would suggest getting a car with automatic transmission. That way you don't need to manually shift gears and worry about a clutch and instead focus on not hitting oncoming traffic.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Red12b

Depends on what you want to learn dude, Do you want to learn about cars or just how to use em?

I can give you some advice or I can link you some sites if you need it.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

Make sure to always use both feet.  One on the gas and one on the brake.  Yep.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Try not to crash.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Red12b said:
    "

Depends on what you want to learn dude, Do you want to learn about cars or just how to use em?

I can give you some advice or I can link you some sites if you need it.

"
    Now that's the Aussie way.  All you other dudes are giving him either useless or confusing advice, whereas the Aussie actually offers something useful : help.  :)
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By shirogane

Get into a car and try it. Chances are you're already decent enough at driving. 

I learnt how to drive by playing racing games at arcades. Still don't have my license yet though, damn tester failed my cause i didn't use the mirrors enough. Not my fault games don't make use of mirrors...
    trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By trace
    WARNING: This is going to be loooooong.

I guess I'm not sure where you are in regards to driving skill right now. I didn't get a chance to observe your driving at Race Night, and obviously with some of the crazy stuff we do there it's not the best place to learn or develop skills. For the sake of completeness, I'm going to talk as if you're completely new to handling a car around a track. If you feel any of this is below you or that you've already mastered something, by all means skip ahead.

If you're looking to learn how to drive in real life, a lot of what you learn probably won't translate over to racing fast. It might help you learn how to be a little safer and smoother, and if you learn manual transmission in real life, you'll have a much better grasp of proper shifting technique. That said, shifting technique in most racing sims is a part of learning how to race faster, not how to drive.

That said, I can offer a few ideas for how I'd learn while using Forza 3. Bear in mind I'm nowhere near the quality of an instructor, and I've only driven a racetrack once in real life, so I'm sure some of the actual racing stuff I'll be spewing here would be enough to make a racing instructor wince in pain. Still, here's how I'd tackle learning how to race, based on how I've advanced over the years:

• Survive the track: Work on making it around courses at a decent speed without crashing or going off at any point. Pretty basic.
    • Learn the racing line: Work on finding the fastest way around the track (which suggested line will help with quite a bit). Don't try to be absolutely perfect, but try to reach a point where you're able to run reasonably fast lap times on your own without too many problems.
    • Learn multiple lines through turns: Work on making it through turns when you can't use the optimal racing line. There will be times where you'll either brake too late, lose a little control, or have to race side-by-side with an opponent. Learning how to make it through these situations while maintaining racing speed will help you place well in races.
    • Refine: Well down the road, and where pretty much everybody ends up. It's getting that extra speed coming out of a turn, hitting the racing line perfectly, setting up cars, and all the stuff almost no one masters 100%.

For Forza 3, until you're comfortable driving, I'd put Anti-Lock Brakes, Traction Control, Stability Management, Automatic Transmission, and a full Suggested Line. Don't use Autobrake by any means -- not only will it slow you down a lot in racing conditions, it will mask problems in your driving technique and make you think you're driving far better than you probably are.

Find a car you really like driving. Any car will do. Take it into time trial mode by choosing leaderboards, then circuit, pick your car's class, and go to any circuit and configuration. Tsukuba Full is a great track to practice on, as is Road Atlanta, but any track works. You're not going to set lap records, but time trial mode is a great place to learn what makes you faster and what slows you down, especially through the use of ghost cars of your previous best laps. 

Once you're driving, try to follow the suggested line, accelerating and braking when it tells you to with the green and red coloring. Be smooth in your inputs. Think of your car like a giant tank of water. If you brake too harshly, all that water goes sloshing to the front, and you throw the balance of the car off to where the front's heavy and the rear's light, and might just want to spin around on you. Accelerating too hard does the exact opposite, putting pressure on the rear and making taking off that much harder. Accelerating too hard while turning would throw that water against the side, causing you to lose control or spin. The key is to drive smoothly enough that you don't upset the car's balance, and make it through turns without scrubbing off too much speed.

Focus on making it around the track one lap cleanly first, where you don't see that triangular '!' sign. Focus then on adhering to the suggested line, and try to pick up speed. You'll notice it has you taking turns in a very specific manner, in most cases: Turn in from the outside of the turn, hit the apex of the turn, and then carry your speed to a turn-out point. You'll be braking entering the turn, and accelerating on your way out, with some exceptions and leeway based on driving style. Perfecting when to hit these points is pretty advanced, and many turns vary in how to properly tackle them to carry the most speed, but still, the suggested line is almost like using an answer key that's 90% filled out for a test. If you use it right, you should do well enough.

Keep this practice up on various tracks over time. It could take a while -- don't expect results in a day. If you'd like consider occasionally using a different car, and when you do, ask yourself how it handles differently. Does it brake better or worse than my favorite car? How does it behave when turning compared to my favorite car? Stuff like that.

After a while, and once (and only once) you get used to handling cars smoothly, consider toggling off some of the assists. Stability Management should be turned off first, as it prevents excessive body roll at the cost of a lot of speed, and smooth driving will prevent that whole roll issue anyways. After that, if you think you've gotten the hang of smooth acceleration, try knocking off traction control, which keeps the tires from spinning. It will make things significantly tougher, since you can't jam on the throttle anymore, but if you can master driving without it, you'll also be faster. Everything else is a bit of a judgment call. Some fast drivers still use Anti-Lock Brakes since it prevents braking too hard and locking the wheels up, which makes steering near impossible and can cause serious problems when entering a turn. I'd only jump to manual transmission if you're aware of how it works in real life, or have all the other assists off at the point and want to experiment with it. The suggested line can be turned off when you think you've got the idea of a racing line down, or switched to "braking only" if you still want braking point suggestions on the track.

I know this is a long read, but hopefully it helps you figure out how to improve your driving somewhat. There's some good reading materials out there for proper driving technique, too -- I can't remember whether it was Gran Turismo 1 or 2 (or both) that came with a gigantic supplemental manual on technique, but if you ever find either available dirt cheap in a used games section at a game store with the driving manuals intact, it might be worth it just for that. I've also heard great things about the book Going Faster!, but I've yet to read it myself.

If there's any questions or whatever, I can try to help. I'm no master, nor am I anywhere near a level where I feel comfortable offering authoritative advice, but I'd be willing to offer suggestions nevertheless.
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By ApolloJ85

Nothing we can say here can compensate for real world driving experience. Get out there and practice in all kinds of conditions, because day-time driving will only help you to a certain point. Experiencing how a car feels under heavy braking, losing traction in the wet, driving with poor visibility, these are all the kinds of things that can only be learnt through experience. Before I got my licence, I picked up a certain amount of driving nous from Need for Speed Special Edition, and now Forza 3 helps me understand the way a car's weight shifts and that locking up brakes is a very bad thing, but ultimately it doesn't translate to the real world all that well. 

I would highly recommend an advanced driving course. I completed one in Australia, and not only was it a lot of fun, but it has helped me out in a number of potentially dangerous situations. With regards to mechanics, start with learning how to change a tires, oil and water, and spark plugs. More advanced mechanical adventures aren't something you want to carry out on your daily driver.

LazyPiranha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LazyPiranha

If you're looking to get into car culture in general, Jalopnik.com is a great place to start.  It's a good mix of casual car fan info and stuff for the real enthusiast.  If you've got Netflix, then Top Gear season 10 is available for instant viewing, and it's probably one of the best car shows ever made.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.