Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 4

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 11, 2011

The fourth installment of Turn 10's Motorsport racing franchise, released in Fall 2011. It features 16 player online races, dynamic race conditions, cars from over 80 manufacturers, and compatibility with Kinect, both on and off the racetrack.

In Case You're Wondering Why There Are No Porsches in Forza 4, it's Because of EA

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    No Caption Provided

EA has had the exclusive rights to the Porsche brand of sports cars for some time now, but that hasn't prevented other developers from sub-licensing Porsche vehicles through EA. Most notably, Turn 10 managed to include 35 different Porsche models in its last simulation racer, Forza Motorsport 3.

Evidently, the days of playing friendly with exclusive licenses are over for EA (yes, I'm aware of the irony of that statement given the whole NFL thing--just go with it, okay?), as according to an interview with creative director Dan Greenwalt up at ForzaMotorsport.net, Turn 10 and Microsoft have made repeated attempts to find an equitable solution to once again sub-license the Porsche brand for its upcoming sequel, Forza Motorsport 4. However, those requests ultimately fell on deaf ears.

For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again. We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

The turnabout in attitude likely has something to do with the introduction of EA's Shift series, which it views as a viable competitor in the simulation racing market. Given that fact, it's not altogether surprising, if still a bit disappointing, that EA would choose to keep its licenses close to its vest, so as to avoid aiding a direct competitor.

Nonetheless, Turn 10 had hoped to work with EA once again, and was disappointed with EA's refusal to acquiesce, especially given Turn 10's own willingness to work with other developers with its own exclusive licenses.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

It is most certainly EA's prerogative to do as it pleases with the licenses it holds, but for as much as the Shift series attempts to dig into the sim racing market, it's arguable whether or not that series is really relevant enough at this juncture to claim that collaboration with Turn 10 would harm its stature. Suddenly blocking a developer from including an entire line of vehicles isn't exactly the kind of move that engenders good feelings within the racing game community, either.

Since it looks like there's nothing to be done about this prior to Forza 4's release, players will simply have to make do with a trio of RUF vehicles. RUF, as you may or may not be aware, is the manufacturer known for completely reworking Porsche bodies into custom sports cars. It's likely little consolation for those who had hoped to dig into any of the 35 originally planned Porsche models, but hey, at least it's something.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex
    No Caption Provided

EA has had the exclusive rights to the Porsche brand of sports cars for some time now, but that hasn't prevented other developers from sub-licensing Porsche vehicles through EA. Most notably, Turn 10 managed to include 35 different Porsche models in its last simulation racer, Forza Motorsport 3.

Evidently, the days of playing friendly with exclusive licenses are over for EA (yes, I'm aware of the irony of that statement given the whole NFL thing--just go with it, okay?), as according to an interview with creative director Dan Greenwalt up at ForzaMotorsport.net, Turn 10 and Microsoft have made repeated attempts to find an equitable solution to once again sub-license the Porsche brand for its upcoming sequel, Forza Motorsport 4. However, those requests ultimately fell on deaf ears.

For Forza 4, we were looking forward to adding even more Porsche cars, and we were especially looking forward to featuring multiple Porsche experiences in our new Autovista mode. In the end, however, EA couldn’t see their way towards collaborating again. We’ve asked our contacts at EA to reconsider their position frequently and regularly over the last 18 months. We also reached out to various influential people in gaming to lobby on our behalf, and on your behalf, but that was to no avail.

The turnabout in attitude likely has something to do with the introduction of EA's Shift series, which it views as a viable competitor in the simulation racing market. Given that fact, it's not altogether surprising, if still a bit disappointing, that EA would choose to keep its licenses close to its vest, so as to avoid aiding a direct competitor.

Nonetheless, Turn 10 had hoped to work with EA once again, and was disappointed with EA's refusal to acquiesce, especially given Turn 10's own willingness to work with other developers with its own exclusive licenses.

While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.

It is most certainly EA's prerogative to do as it pleases with the licenses it holds, but for as much as the Shift series attempts to dig into the sim racing market, it's arguable whether or not that series is really relevant enough at this juncture to claim that collaboration with Turn 10 would harm its stature. Suddenly blocking a developer from including an entire line of vehicles isn't exactly the kind of move that engenders good feelings within the racing game community, either.

Since it looks like there's nothing to be done about this prior to Forza 4's release, players will simply have to make do with a trio of RUF vehicles. RUF, as you may or may not be aware, is the manufacturer known for completely reworking Porsche bodies into custom sports cars. It's likely little consolation for those who had hoped to dig into any of the 35 originally planned Porsche models, but hey, at least it's something.

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By uberexplodey

Noooooo

Avatar image for chinatown_1992@
    chinatown_1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By chinatown_1992

that suxs

ChibiKillstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ChibiKillstick

EA makin the headlines all over

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By winsord

That's kind of a bummer; I really like the Carrera specifically, which RUF doesn't do. Kind of surprised they managed to get RUF anyways, but I'm glad. Honestly though, Shift having Porsches exclusively definitely does not all of a sudden make me want to get into that series.

SaintMits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By SaintMits

Who the fuck wants a Porsche anyway?

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By chickdigger802

That does suck =(

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rapid

Really, I guess we will have be seeing Porshe Knockoffs?

megasoum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By megasoum

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By psylah

Drop a piano on a Volkswagen Beetle and bam, enjoy your 911.

At least that's how it should work, if Jeremy Clarkson has taught me anything.

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By stenchlord

Man that's annoying.

muralbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By muralbat

Its kind of a bummer but then again, I didn't care for porsche's all that much in the other games, Aston's are the car of choice!

Chindie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Chindie

Disappointing. 

However I think I'm right in thinking Turn10 have previously forced competitors to remove cars from games - they didn't allow the Ferrari 458 Italia in Test Drive Unlimited 2 on the 360 IIRC due to the licence they had (and desire to make that the cover car - they did however allow other Ferraris into that title).

AdventFalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By AdventFalls
    @Rapid: Yes. We're going to see Forzchas.
    louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By louiedog

Exclusives like this suck. Instead of finding a way to innovate and make a superior product, they use exclusives to cripple the competition. 

Of course someone will respond with, "blah blah but I'm in college and took an intro business class and I can tell you that it makes good business sense..." I don't care. I don't work at EA. I haven't invested in the company. As a consumer and video game fan it makes things worse for me and my peers.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By bacongames

@psylah said:

The man has taught you well lol.

Seriously though I think Alex's description of this as a "jack move" is precise.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Ghostiet

Oh, EA, so you have Porsches, right?

Then why in the NAME OF FUCK you haven't released a follow-up to Porsche Unleashed, you douchebags?

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Shabs

EA destroying all the good will they'd created with customers over the past few years must be pretty entertaining for Activision.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By rjaylee

Does anyone know why the Porche brand is specifically singled out in this case?

I think I need a better understanding of how brand exclusivity works, aside from the simple act of "here, let me hand you this big bag of money", and who has the exclusivity to what brands.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elazul
    @SaintMits said:
    Who the fuck wants a Porsche anyway?
    Agreed. Porsches kind of suck and they all look the fucking same, especially compared to most of the other sports/supercar manufacturers still in the game. It's still pretty crappy, but it's not like they lost Ferrari or anything.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By skrutop

That's fucking lame. Are they going to go with rebranded modified Porsches, then?

Seanakin66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seanakin66

Man, fuck ERTS.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bcjohnnie

Jesus, isn't there any encouraging news about video games this week?

I'll just make up a story:

"Activision saves multiple puppies from burning building, promises them all free copies of Modern Warfare 3"

There, now I can feel good about the industry again.

EXCellR8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#24  Edited By EXCellR8

way too much of this nonsense in racing games. it's the same in GT5 except polyphony said fuck you, modeled the cars, and branded them as "RUF"

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By louiedog
    @heatDrive88 said:

Does anyone know why the Porche brand is specifically singled out in this case?

I think I need a better understanding of how brand exclusivity works, aside from the simple act of "here, let me hand you this big bag of money", and who has the exclusivity to what brands.

They probably locked up an exclusive license when they released Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed. They didn't just pick a car company at random and decide to create an exclusivity agreement.
    jfbguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jfbguy

What I don't understand about these exclusivity deals is anyone can write a book about porches, or a magazine. Example with Madden, anyone can make Fantasy Football periodicals, and use all of their names and pictures of the players. Or maybe it's the visual medium that changes everything. Very sad. Where's my freedom of speech?!

QKT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By QKT

all the porches were exactly the same anyway, never fun to drive.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rapid

Oh EA how you are making even more gamers hate you.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By endaround

@jfbguy: Actually there has been a move by sports leagues to make sports stats property of the respective leagues. It hasn't gone anywhere yet since the potential of losing fantasy interest is too high but don't be too surprised in the future the only place your allowed to play fantasy football is NFL.com or its broadcast partners.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Another day, another EA fuck up.  I think a boycott is in the works.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Heh, Porches are really not the cars I like to race with Forza so I can't say I'll be missing them. Shift 2.....I really don't like that game much either! It would have been nice to have the option there for the sake of Forza's content.

Shift 2 is like driving on a road of potholes with a headache. Not much fun...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

@Megasoum said:

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

Ummm, actually that was mentioned.

Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.
    jfbguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jfbguy

@endaround said:

@jfbguy: Actually there has been a move by sports leagues to make sports stats property of the respective leagues. It hasn't gone anywhere yet since the potential of losing fantasy interest is too high but don't be too surprised in the future the only place your allowed to play fantasy football is NFL.com or its broadcast partners.

I never played Fantasy Football but this makes me sad :(

Avatar image for numberthirtyone
    numberThirtyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By numberThirtyOne

Started a new game with myself where I guess whether or not an article was written by Alex just based on the tone of the title. Got this one right!

osuzoo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By osuzoo08

Im not a big porsche fan anyway but that sucks that EA would not do that deal again. 

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By psylah

@Tuffgong said:

@psylah said:

The man has taught you well lol.

Seriously though I think Alex's description of this as a "jack move" is precise.

This is not new for EA, they've had an exclusive licensing deal with the NFL for the past several years, and for several more years.

It's why games like Blitz the League and Backbreaker were unlicensed. Those games lacked the NFL license, and say what you will about their gameplay, what truly killed their sales was their lack of NFL teams. EA strangled their competition to death.

CyleMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By CyleMoore

Sounds like another dick move.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By leejunfan83

yo Fuck EA

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By b33
    @TripMasterMunky said:

Lame.

indeed.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

NO. lols.

Anyway, I've always kind of hated Porches. Not only are they no where NEAR as sexy as everyone who cares about cars seems to think, they just aren't good cars. Not anymore, anywho. They have been falling further and further behind, with occasionally decent showing here and there.

@bcjohnnie: Here's my headline responding to the story: According to sources inside Giantbomb.com, Activision is using Modern Warfare 3 to train lethal terrorist puppies.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chilibean_3

I really hope this doesn't become the norm. A bunch of different devs with different exclusive rights not playing together will pretty much kill the genre.

Way to be, EA. Way to be.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mnzy

The real idiots were Porsche when they made a 10 year contract with EA in 2001. And I think they actually renewed that stupid thing a while ago.

S Läbe isch koi Ponyhof...

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By swoxx

That porsche image should totally have NEVER instead of NO on it. I haven't really missed porsches in the Forza series so whatever for me.

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bcjohnnie

@MordeaniisChaos: I heard they were lethal "freedom fighter" puppies

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This seems like a really poor move on EA's part. It's only going to make gamers angry at them, Turn 10 will just replace their Porche's with RUF's and it ensures that no future NFS game will have ferrari's, which is much worse than missing out on porche's.

But what's with EA lately? It's like they're annoyed that Activision have taken over as the publisher to hate.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By aurahack

This, like, EA is the bad guy, then becomes the good guy, then the bad guy again thing is really starting to get tiring. Can't everyone just play nice? 

Also, I feel like actual Porsche representatives should have a say in this deal, which it doesn't seem like they do. :/

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Canteu

EA are the new EA

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By Vorbis

For a couple of years it looked like EA were becoming a decent publisher, now they've just become assholes again.

LJO1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LJO1989

Alex always seems to be the one who posts these type of articles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.