Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 6

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 15, 2015

The 6th installment in the Forza Motorsport series. It is the first Motorsport game to feature night racing and wet weather conditions.

Forza 6 pre-ordering awfulness...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

(sigh)

Okay, I'm a car guy and I love the Forza series. All the Forza games have been somewhere between good and phenomenal. Horizon 2 in particular is a fucking fantastic game. For some background here, I own Forza 1, 2, 5, and ordered the Ultimate Edition of Horizon 2. $100 straight off the bat for Horizon 2 to include the VIP car pack, preorder car pack, and the car pass for forthcoming car packs. (This stuff is kinda shitty and I'm not helping things by buying it; I know.) Honestly, though, the game is one of my favorite racing games ever and has been well worth that to me and then some. So much so that I bought the Storm Island expansion (which I still haven't really played) almost purely out of "hey, this game was awesome, so I'll throw a few more bucks behind it to vote with my wallet" sentiment. All told, I'm in for $110 and change on Horizon 2 alone, probably about $80 on Forza 5, and at least $60 a piece on Forza 1 & 2, so we're talking $300+ invested in this series. I'm still 100% okay with all this.

As such, Forza 6 getting more of a reveal at E3 of course got me all excited for more Forza. So I fired up Horizon 2 for a bit, having not played it for a few months thanks to DS2: SotFS and Titanfall. Here's where shit went downhill fast. I did my typical thing of checking the Forza Hub to redeem my Forza Rewards and see what car packs were available for download. Previously, it's been mostly a situation of "oh, you have the Ultimate Edition with the Car Pass; here are your free cars to download". Not so much. We're now apparently on standalone car packs beyond the Ultimate/VIP/Car Pass. There's the Fast & Furious cars for $5. There's a Duracell Car Pack for $5. There's a Porsche Expansion for $10 (which actually doesn't seem that horrible because it adds another bucket list of events and getting the Porsche license is rare for racing games). I was understandably a bit miffed at the idea of being asked for more money beyond the "Ultimate Edition" plus another expansion I already paid for, and I take issue with car packs that aren't included with the car pass. If I had bought everything, including the Fast & Furious expansion before/after that brief period of time when it was free, I believe the grand total would be $140 for Horizon 2, which is pretty absurd and beyond what even I can defend.

Still, I was ready to overlook all of that, move on, and go ahead and preorder Forza 6. So I hopped back over to the Forza Hub, and clicked on the Forza 6 reveal stuff to look into it a bit more. Dear God. It is the most convoluted bullshit imaginable. There are (again) three versions of the game to order: Standard ($60), VIP ($80), and Ultimate ($100). There's a preorder bonus car. There's a ten year anniversary car pack. There are VIP cars. There are Car Pass cars for upcoming car packs, not to be confused with non-Car Pass car packs to come later on. And if you preorder Forza 6 now as an owner of Forza Horizon 2, you'll get the three most recent car packs released on Horizon 2, one of which I already have from the Car Pass, two of which I don't, and not including the latest DLC: the Porsche Expansion. Also, depending on your Forza Rewards level from previous Forza games, you'll get a car or cars. You can get some other cars depending on if you ordered the VIP/Ultimate edition of previous Forza games and order the VIP/Ultimate edition of Forza 6. Facepalming with tired head yet? I am.

Here's the quandary. This DLC bullshit is of course completely out of hand and I don't really want to support it on principle. And yet, I'm already this far in and know I'll buy Forza 6 anyway, so I might as well play into their hands and shell out another $100-plus for it. I'm gonna want some of those cars they'll stick behind a paywall, and odds are high that I'll get a benjamin's worth of enjoyment out of Forza 6, which will in all likelihood be a legitimately great game. New tracks? New cars? 1080p/60fps? Yeah, I'm in. Plus, the bonus cars from having bought previous VIP/Ultimate editions and from the Forza Rewards are at least a loyalty thank you of sorts (or a way for them to try to keep people on the hook, depending on how you look at it). I'm justifying it further by telling myself I'm supporting a quality game/series. Thus, here we are again. I'm going to drop some coin on a ridiculous Ultimate Edition of Forza 6, and I'll be simultaneously thrilled and disgusted for doing it.

So, yeah. I'm the problem. I'm the sucker. Turn 10 is playing me. The wallet keeps opening. I want those cars, though. I need those cars. And until the series lays an egg, I'm going to be able to defend in effect supporting the shitty practice of putting more and more of the game's content behind a DLC paywall if it means I get to play a great racing game. Provided Forza 6 doesn't take a massive dip in quality, I'll be happy and will consider it money well spent. Take my hundred bucks again, Turn 10. I gotta have my fix, man.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

I looked at the stuff when looking at pre-ordering Forza 6 and it's really not that complicated.

There are 3 version of the games, Standard, VIP and Ultimate.

Standard is just the game and the 10 year celebration pack.

VIP is the standard plus some VIP cars

Ultimate is VIP plus the car pass.

If you pre-order you get a car.

If you have old Forza games they give you more cars as a thank you for being a fan of the series, depending on what versions of the previous games you bought you will get certain cars.

It's nothing that is bad it's just your standard Game/Game + Season Pass choice. Then a choice on whether you want to pre-order or not. Everything else are just rewards based on your past purchases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zombie2011: But the "ultimate" version doesn't give you access to all cars/DLC?

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CByrne
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zombie2011: But the "ultimate" version doesn't give you access to all cars/DLC?

It guarantees you the first 6 planned DLC packs, so you'll get at least 6 car packs if you buy the ultimate edition. So if they decide to do another set of DLC like a second season i doubt those would be included, at least they aren't guaranteed to be.

It won't get you the pre-order car or the reward cars like "you bought Forza: Horzion 2" car.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Isn't it just the same as Forza Horizon 2?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By notnert427

@zombie2011 said:

I looked at the stuff when looking at pre-ordering Forza 6 and it's really not that complicated.

There are 3 version of the games, Standard, VIP and Ultimate.

Standard is just the game and the 10 year celebration pack.

VIP is the standard plus some VIP cars

Ultimate is VIP plus the car pass.

If you pre-order you get a car.

If you have old Forza games they give you more cars as a thank you for being a fan of the series, depending on what versions of the previous games you bought you will get certain cars.

It's nothing that is bad it's just your standard Game/Game + Season Pass choice. Then a choice on whether you want to pre-order or not. Everything else are just rewards based on your past purchases.

I don't know. It seems a bit over the top in terms of how to acquire these cars on an individual basis. Oh, that car? You should have bought the VIP edition to get that. No, not this game's VIP edition, last game's VIP edition. That car? It's part of ____ Car Pack, and you need to buy the whole car pack to get it. You say you have the car pass? Well, that doesn't include this car pack. That other car? Your Forza Rewards aren't high enough for that. Etc., etc.

This stuff will mostly be a non-issue for me personally because I shell out for the expensive editions and have played a bunch of the series. I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who gets the regular game for Christmas as their first Forza game, though, and I feel like it would be pretty offputting to run into a bunch of paywalls and "you haven't played enough Forza or paid us enough in the past" roadblocks between them and the car they want to drive. That's a way to turn potential new fans off of what is otherwise a great series of games.

I felt like Horizon 2 was pretty fair with this stuff at the start, at least much moreso than Forza 5. They seemed to learn a bit of a lesson, like giving away a free car with each car pack, not being so aggressive with the DLC "notifications", et al., but once the game got established, they seem to have reverted to old habits, and that's a shame. I think the existence of DLC is fine, but they need to avoid the following pitfalls:

1) Car packs intentionally featuring 4 undesirable cars bundled with 1 desirable car that can't be purchased a la carte.

(Gee, I like the Ferrari 458. Not so much the Ford Transit Van, Subaru Legacy, Honda CR-X, and VW Beetle.)

2) Car packs that are excluded from the Ultimate Edition/Car Pass.

(I paid you as much money as possible for the best possible version of this game when I preordered. I guess that wasn't good enough.)

3) Tokens or some other bullshit unnecessary currency.

(I have 2 tokens left, which can't buy anything of note. Obviously I should exchange more real cash for more tokens.)

4) Cars being unavailable unless you meet x criteria.

(Excuse me while I hop in the DeLorean and tell 2007 me to play more Forza 2.)

Now, I can basically guarantee the first three will happen in Forza 6. The fourth, I'm not sure. I don't know how they'll handle Forza Rewards cars and previous VIP/Ultimate cars. For the record, I'm glad they offer those loyalty rewards; but I hope these cars can be acquired by either earned in-game credits or purchased for real money a la carte for those who don't "qualify". I guess we'll have to wait and see on that one. Still, I think it's fair to take issue with a lot of this. They sure aren't the only ones doing this stuff, but it's cheapening the game a bit by they way they nickel and dime you at every turn. JMO.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I enjoy Forza, but I'm so glad I'm not on this level. The standard edition will do me fine. For people who are really into it, it must be a bummer to have to shell out so much every year for the same cars in some cases. I hardly ever buy DLC for any game though. $60 is enough.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Yeah I just preordered digitally a couple days ago, opting for the Ultimate edition, and it is all a bit crazy. So many cars and so many ways to get them. It all gets to feel a little overwhelming and ultimately meaningless, but hey, I haven't played a significant amount of a core Forza game since 3, which I absolutely loved, so I think it'll be worth the high cost of entry to jump back in with as many perks as possible.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought some sort of pass or VIP thing for Horizon 2 and I played that game for all of two weeks. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but the fact that I don't even remember what exactly I bought probably says something about the return on that stuff. Unless you're playing online a bunch, it's probably not worth it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game has, I believe, over 400 cars in the base game before you even get DLC. Surely you can find something there you like. I get the feeling of missing out on something and being a DLC completionist, I do, but it is not like base Forza 6 is lacking content. If there are cars you really want get those packs (or the VIP). If there aren't don't buy them. I bought the same ultimate edition of Horizon 2 you did but I don't feel miffed that they released stuff outside the season pass because the base game plus season pass had SO MUCH content already. I played that game a ton and didn't even drive half the cars in it. Do you actually get through all the cars you already have available?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of awfulness (so I don't have to start a new topic on this little subject), is the soundtrack terrible like Forza 5? I only played a few minutes of the demo and it seemed so. Any custom soundtracks maybe?

waggs1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Forza Horizon has the best soundtrack of any Forza game to date

clapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like a game that much I think it's fine to spend extra money on it. Knowing that the base $60 game has more content than any racing game this generation shows that Turn 10 is not out to jipp anyone. I will probably buy the base game initially and then maybe snag some dlc stuff later on. I know I'll get Porsche when it comes out.

GeorgeKansas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GeorgeKansas

Yeah I think I'm going with the base game. Got the 100$ edition of Horizon 2 but I like that series way more. I think I have to be more pick and choosy with a game that is more traditionally competitive.

oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i went the base game had a look at the car packs they dont skimp on the prices though for DLC

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.