Once again this game made me buy an Xbox and I am a sucker for ads.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TyCobb

Always loved Gran Turismo in the days of the PSX and PS2. Forza 2 made me buy an Xbox 360 Elite because it was bundled with the console and the original one RROD on me before they extended the warranty. Loved 2 and 3 and somehow missed out on 4 even though I still own the old 360 Microsoft wheel.

The past week I have been playing Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3 with the G27. It's OK, but that game is just lifeless in terms of actual racing. All week I was wishing I could just hook that wheel up to the 360 and play Forza instead. Well, almost all week I have been seeing nothing but commercials for the Xbox One Forza Edition. Every commercial break picked at me as I fought Gran Turismo 6's rolling start bullshit and having to self restrict my upgrades to not just overtake the field halfway through the first lap.

Yesterday, I broke down and bought the Forza Xbox and G290 (preordered). This game truly is amazing. I loved GRID Autosport's AI in that they can make mistakes at any point like an actual person. The Drivatar stuff makes me feel like every race is unique because you really don't know how it will end up. Even if you really screw up mid-way through, there's a good chance you may end up coming back for a win because the leader may brake a little too late into a turn.

Slightly excited to hook a wheel up to this even though the move from a G27 to G290 is arguable. Are any of you using a wheel with this yet? How is the online play? Do people still try to win at turn 1 and use other cars as their brakes?

EDIT: I cancelled my preorder on the G290 and went with the Thrustmaster TX instead. Should get it sooner and should be a better wheel all around. Especially since I can actually detach the wheel...

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Interesting, I haven't seen a single Forza 6 add, but I don't think you will regret making the purchase. I bought an xbox one for FH2, FM5 and the promise of this game - I was a day one PS4 guy, but after playing DriveClub I knew I needed to expand my horizons to scratch the driving itch. FH2 was great, FM5 had a number of flaws (I was a huge FM4 fan), but this game is amazing.

I know some people are using wheels, personally I'm not one of 'em. After having a Fanatec last gen I'm not willing to spend $300+ for a wheel that would be something of a downgrade, and I'm not spending a grand on a new Fanatec set up.

Online play is hit or miss, the leagues are fun, but if you don't know who you are racing with it can definitely get ugly. Sometimes it is passive aggressive, sometimes just aggressive. I'd suggest race online on Thursday night (see the Race Night thread) and not deal with random assholes. But that's me.

When you get your Thrustmaster let us know how you like it.

GREASED_LTNG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the club! I bought my Forza 6 Xbox One day one. I was a long time Forza fan since the first one. Skipped out on the Horizons and missed 5 simply because I didn't have an Xbone yet. The announcement/release of this bundle was perfect timing.

You'll have a great time. Be sure to bump that drivatar difficulty up.

I haven't really seen any ads for it though.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odd. All I saw Saturday were ads. Either during UFC Fight Night or whatever races were on Saturday.

Definitely will try and hop in Thursday nights once the wheel shows up. I am piss poor with the controller. Car just slides all over the place if I misjudge the sweet spot on the trigger by just a hair. Had to re-enable TCS (STM off)) and ABS.

Thanks for the suggestion @greased_ltng. The game has been auto bumping it up. Depending on how I do tonight, I may bump it up (current set to Highly Skilled). Currently it is a little challenging since I turned Rewind off and keep replaying until I get the actual win. That has to be a GT6 thing because I am sure not seeing anything special for all wins.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't have FM6 (though I've been thinking about getting into the demo...) but they bundled in FH2 with my Sunset Overdrive bundle, which I've gotten a lot of mileage (delicious pun totally intended) out of.

Thought I'd drop in to say that I agree about the drivatars: especially since I bumped them up to Pro, I've noticed them as racers more so than any other AI I've ever raced against, and I've enjoyed the dynamism and chaos and whatnot. I don't think I've had the experience Jeff describes about the aggression, where drivatars throw themselves into every corner like maniacs -- in fact they seem to take corners realistically, consistent with them actually racing and not just being on rails, and watching them actually helps me to learn how to take the corners that I'm struggling with and makes the game feel "fair". Sometimes I get rammed while in a corner or something and it brings me undone, but it's not too egregious, and coping with that stuff makes the game more interesting and "legit" in a way.

But iuno, maybe the FH2 drivatars are the aggression-limited ones. I should probably check out that FM6 demo.

GREASED_LTNG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GREASED_LTNG

@fnrslvr: Yeah, when Jeff mentioned that on the podcast, I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. They've been superb for me. Just like you said, they drive more realistic. Then he said he plays at a lower difficulty... I play on the second (or third?) highest difficulty and anything lower wouldn't be fun. Game is definitely not for him anymore...

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh... I hope amazon doesn't screw me over again on preorders. Last night the wheel went out of preorder to temporarily out of stock. No email yet of whether it shipped or if I have to wait.

I still have 2 pop figures that I preordered that still have not got back in stock. Hope this wheel isn't a month wait...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.