Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Freedom Fighters

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 01, 2003

Freedom Fighters is an alternate history squad-based shooter from IO Interactive, critically hailed for its simple yet deep squad mechanics.

Anybody know how to run Freedom Fighters on Windows 10?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

It installs fine but won't load. I've tried XP and Win 7 compatibility modes but nothing.

Got far back in the day but never beat it so wanted to run through it.

Update:

the instructions provided by @ntm does allow you to play Freedom Fighters for a bit...unfortunately, there are some game breaking bugs playing on Windows 10

Bugs:

• raising flag is very finicky and you'll have to find the "right" spot but at the fire station, you won't be able to raise the red, white, and blue (this is the major issue that'll stop you progressing the campaign)
    • melee will cause screen to go white and you'll be forced to restart from save point
    • floor issues
      - sometimes you'll slide
      - when you're at an elevated level for example on top of a staircase trying to go down, you'll stay at the same level and float across (standing still will slowly drop you down to Earth

Soultion:

• cap the fps to 60 (I used Bandicam, very easy to use. Just install and open and that's all. Default settings will do)
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alright, so maybe you saw it or not, and maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but if the fix worked for Windows 8 for someone, maybe it'll work for Windows 10. I just read this:

The issue is from files not being installed properly because the game was meant for the Windows XP era, which is quite different from Windows 8. The way I fixed it was to go to the "setup.exe" file and run that in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 with admin privileges *before* installing the game.

Just in case you aren't sure how, right click "setup.exe," click properties, go to the compatibility tab, and check the boxes for "run this program in compatibility mode for" (I used Windows XP SP3, but others may work as well) and "run this program as an administrator." This causes the files to be installed to the places that they would be if you were using windows XP, which is how the game is coded to read files. Windows 8 likes to move files around during installation to where it thinks they need to go instead of where programs want to place them.

Note: If you are installing from a disc, you may need to make a digital copy of that disc to modify setup.exe, then reburn that to a blank disc and use that instead of the official disc to play.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: ah lol thanks! gonna give it a shot!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Thanks again! Looks like it works and don't see any glitchyness either.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Sweet! Glad that helped. If you play through it now, I hope you enjoy it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bybeach

I vaguely remember having to run some other game as an administrator. I think it was Gears of War for pc. Long time ago, but it sounds somewhat similar. I think someone from MS walked me through it.

Freedom fighters, great game. Especially lately, lol.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Just started FF15 so that'll probably take a minute but gonna plow through this next. I know I got far before and remember liking it but I don't remember anything about this game. I know you had a squad you can command but that's about it so it'll be a fresh experience.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It warms my heart to hear that there's someone out there playing this game right now.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I loved Freedom Fighters.. wish the would do an HD port of that...in the same vein as Beyond Good & Evil

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By liquiddragon

started playing this yesterday and I like it a lot more than I remember. this game gets so much right, and a ton of fun but unfortunately, there are some issues/bugs that prevents me for progressing through the game :/

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@liquiddragon: I'm not sure I have an answer for the issue, but you can try this page if you haven't already. I suggest enabling/disabling Vsync. The game also doesn't like going over 60fps it seems.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Freedom_Fighters

My notifications said I got five messages from you on this page.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

I wish EA would release a HD-fied version of this game on consoles. I haven't played this game in ages and I never actually beat it though I did get somewhat far if I remember correctly.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: sry, don't mean to spam your notifications. I'm gonna try it out tomorrow. The game is really good btw.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I think it goes into my notifications anytime you edit your thread since I got one again. That's fine, it doesn't bother me. And cool, if I ever find a copy of Freedom Fighters on PC and have an issue with the game, I'll come to this thread. Hopefully, you enjoy the rest of the game. I really wish there was a sequel and by now, a remaster. Heck, it's unfortunate you can't get it on Steam or GOG.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: yeah, seems like FF is tied to EA unlike Io's other titles and their the only big company not in the remastering business for whatever reason. It's admirable and all but damn man, I wish more people could readily play this. I didn't play much PC games back then except for StarCraft but this is one of handful of games I actually bought.

There are some small touches that really surprised me like the auto-reloading when you don't shoot for a second. Seems like a no-brainer when people reload pretty much any chance they get anyway. Now I'm up to 6 recruits and it's hilarious how brutal they are. Fucking savages. lol And you're right, the music is great but there just doesn't seem to be enough.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a game that needs to come to GOG. GOG is starting to release older EA games, maybe this one will make it some day. Freedom Fighters is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. I've been playing a lot of The Division recently, and some aspects of it remind me of Freedom Fighters.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@brandondryrock: Up there for me too. Fast tactical combat, cool atmosphere, amazing music, good squad system and controls. I've been thinking a lot lately too about how this kind of tactical squad game has disappeared.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: I think the game did a great job of capturing that feel of guerrilla warfare. I loved getting a 12 man squad and just rolling through areas of New York. And that soundtrack is one of the best video game soundtracks of all time.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I unfortunately don't, but I hope you get it up and running. One of my favorite games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

@brandondryrock: Yep, and that's why I played Freedom Fighters all the way through for the first time since 04 or something, just before The Division came out. Well, I got to the final stage, but the final stage is kind of messed up on the backward compatibility on Xbox 360. I said it prior in another thread, but I too love the soundtrack and it's definitely one of the most memorable soundtracks to me in games, but going through it before The Division came out, I noticed that there wasn't a lot of variety, so you're getting a lot of the same tracks over and over throughout, which I thought was unfortunate despite it still being great.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@brandondryrock: I love Hitman too and Kyd is great, love his soundtracks. They do a good job with the winter city atmosphere.

I wonder why this kind of game has gone away. If it is people thinking it is overly complicated and controls poorly, I would point them to this game and show how it can be simple and fun. Rolling around and picking up guys and fighting with them really adds a lot to this game that I enjoy.

@ntm I remember the music being a bit repetitive so not surprised it is even more than I remember it being even. I remember hearing this a lot but pretty much loving every second of it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@artisanbreads: Yep, that's the song. There was also a lot of this too though if I remember correctly.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Nice. I had problems when I tried making it work on my system. At the least I still have my original Xbox as well.

As much as Hitman is getting great reception, IO needs to get back into Freedom Fighters somehow. Hopefully EA is willing to sell it to Square-Enix or IO themselves. If there would be a reboot or even a direct sequel, it's gonna be a good challenge to implement some of the mechanics while trying to feel unique in this time.

NorthernBeaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t know if anyone could help me.

I bought the Freedom Fighters PC game for my hubby. It installed great but when he clicked play it says that he needs to sign in to get administrator privileges. His account on his computer is the administrator account. How can we fix this? The computer is windows 10 and the compatibility test came back great.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@northernbeaut: read the 1st and 2nd post. 2nd post for installation and 1st post to iron out the glitches.

AGLGB01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi all,

I love playing Freedom Fighters and Max Payne 2 The Fall of Max Payne and had the same problems. The game installs OK, but will not load and run on Windows 10 in the normal way. I solved the problem by doing the following:

1. Uninstall the game from your PC. Once the process is complete if you receive a message that not all the files could be removed, restart your PC, then delete the game directory manually. This will allow you to start with 'a clean slate'.

2. Reinstall the game, as usual, then delete the default Freedom.exe file and replace it with its No CD Patch Equivalent which should be reasonably easy to find.

3. Now to allow the game to load from your desktop. Delete the desktop icon which was created during installation, then go to your Freedom Fighters directory and create a shortcut of your replaced Freedom.exe and move it to your desktop. Rename the file Freedom Fighters. If you have done this correctly, the game should load and run fine, but at the default resolution, so you may want to select a higher resolution as you normally would. This process works for me. Hope it helps.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could you lock this? It was resolved awhile ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.