Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Freedom Fighters

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 01, 2003

Freedom Fighters is an alternate history squad-based shooter from IO Interactive, critically hailed for its simple yet deep squad mechanics.

Kane & Lynch 2 but no Freedom Fighters sequel?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

But anything new with the words 'Freedom Fighters' is nowhere in sight....

Why? Why did it work out this way? Was it as simple as "this didn't make enough money"? This is the insider email I want to hear on the bombcast.

Listen I'm not sitting here saying that Freedom Fighters is the greatest thing ever made, and I'm not saying Kane and Lynch was a giant turd, but it's obvious one game was much better received than the other. There are people out there who have a real fondness for Freedom Fighters. Just how many people were genuinely looking forward to a follow-up to Dead Men?

I'm not in charge at IO and I understand they are probably busy working on fixing Hitman but there was a whole generation of games where third person shooters went through numerous refinements, where multiple games dealt with America being invaded by foreign powers, where Jesper Kyd was killing it with his soundtrack work....and instead all IO did was release a weird ass sequel with pixelated dongs.

It boggles my mind that this is how things worked out. Again I'm not saying that they fucked up by going this route, because hey....Freedom Fighters 2 could have been complete dog shit, but it's just really weird.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Why is there more than 1 Army of Two games? The world will never know what happens behinds those board room doors.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As much as I'd like a new Freedom Fighters, it's only the mechanics I'd like to have in a new game. Another country invading the U.S. and also being set in New York are two tropes I'm completely tired of. If it's a different setting with the same controls (albeit refined) then I'm all for it, or even a re-release updated version with online multiplayer would be great too.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Short answer: Kane & Lynch was a fan-fucking-tastic concept with rich, complex villain protagonists that allowed Io Interactive to sink their teeth into the kind of narratives the studio (if not just the creative leads) thoroughly enjoys; gritty, ugly, sometimes disturbing character studies.

Freedom Fighters was cool because it was Red Dawn as a video game. There was nothing all together memorable about it aside from that.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

What a weird thing to randomly bring up all of a sudden.

Ya, I've never got why IO wanted to do more Kane and Lynch (and in doing so make a short ass game no one gives a shit about) instead of another freedom fighters game.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Probably for the same reason the new Thief is handled by a new team and those guys were gone a long time ago. And Freedom Fighters was EA publisher, we might see it again as something bizarre.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the feeling that run of the mill third person shooters are pretty cheap to make now-a-days.

But yea, it was a weird choice.

Same with Army of Three.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I think it's because Kane & Lynch was essentially the spiritual successor to Freedom Fighters. Why they decided to give it a spiritual successor in the first place than a direct sequel, however, I dunno... poor sales? In any case despite K&L's tepid reaction, they figured it'd still be beneficial to release a sequel to that again rather than Freedom Fighters because it's at least more well known. Releasing a direct sequel to a game from 2003 would seem odd by that point. It would maybe get a little hype from the niche that loved the game way back when, but K&L was probably still a much more well known brand name altogether anyway.

Plus, given that they even threw in a K&L cameo in Hitman: Absolution and that Lara Croft Guardian of Light, I'd say they're pretty fond of those characters over there, even if they're still probably in the minority on that one. A minority I am apart of I might add! While both games are pretty mediocre, I've always still enjoyed the characters of K&L all the same.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@crithon said:

Probably for the same reason the new Thief is handled by a new team and those guys were gone a long time ago. And Freedom Fighters was EA publisher, we might see it again as something bizarre.

A free to play iPhone/Facebook game probably.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I'd have preferred if they'd made a decent follow up to Mini Ninjas. There was so much wasted potential in that game. Talking of wasted potential... Kane & Lynch are an interesting idea, unfortunately one they have never gotten quite right. I kinda like stuff about the first game, but the second was really poor and ridiculously short.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@crithon said:

A free to play iPhone/Facebook game probably.

Spend 10 Freedom points to heal your resistance member, check back in 6 hours to see what happened.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Short answer: Kane & Lynch was a fan-fucking-tastic concept with rich, complex villain protagonists that allowed Io Interactive to sink their teeth into the kind of narratives the studio (if not just the creative leads) thoroughly enjoys; gritty, ugly, sometimes disturbing character studies.

Freedom Fighters was cool because it was Red Dawn as a video game. There was nothing all together memorable about it aside from that.

What you say is pretty true, but the thing that made Freedom Fighers cool was growing/commanding your squad, and the way your choice of attack(attack heliport, or raid ammo depot) actually changed the future missions. Not many games gave such tangible changes like that and many still don't. Sure the shooting kind of sucked and the AI was pretty awful, but it was really fun.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kovie

@ssully said:

@oldirtybearon said:

What you say is pretty true, but the thing that made Freedom Fighers cool was growing/commanding your squad, and the way your choice of attack(attack heliport, or raid ammo depot) actually changed the future missions. Not many games gave such tangible changes like that and many still don't. Sure the shooting kind of sucked and the AI was pretty awful, but it was really fun.

Regarding the modular and reactive design of Freedom Fighter missions; I can remember the original Kane & Lynch intending to have a system for hiring mercenaries who would help on missions. Obviously nothing of the sort exists in the released game, the squad system is still there, but you can imagine that there was an effort at some point to create a similarly dynamic element to the game with an economy of expendable mercenaries with their own levels of price, skill and presumably trust. But I'm going to assume the game had a lot more compromises in it's development than just that.

The sequel didn't go for it, or anything similar, either. So it's a pretty useless point. Maybe in the case of both games they invested more into their multiplayer execution than into a complex, systemic singleplayer that tried to invoke a broader feeling of what Freedom Fighters did successfully. As for why a sequel was made at all, it does seem like IO Interactive has a sort of fondness for the characters.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Castiel

It's simple: EA have the rights and therefore we won't see another Freedom Fighters. At least not a sequel from IO Interactive, but that won't stop EA from releasing Freedom Fighters II: Facebook Edition. It will also be free to play.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@vinny_says: I edited your thread title to reflect what it was actually about and moved it to the Freedom Fighters forum.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

They originally planned on making a Freedom Fighters 2. Then Eidos bought IO because Hitman games were selling well and IO being busy making games for EA would have gotten in the way of more Hitman games. That's why Kane & Lynch was a spiritual successor; they don't own Freedom Fighters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.