Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Freelancer

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 04, 2003

A free roaming space sim which puts you in the shoes of a down and out pilot, and then gives you the freedom to earn your riches by performing missions for the various factions, trading or simply shooting other ships and taking their cargo!

Does Freelancer hold up?

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By splodge

I have fond memories of playing this like 15 years ago. Has anyone played it recently? Does it hold up? Thinking of trying it again...

Edit - I am asking about freelancer specifically because it will run on my cruddy laptop. Have no gaming console / gaming pc at the moment and am going a little loco.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

Yes it does, I have gone back to that game a few times and loved it every time. Would love to see an iOS port of it actually.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK cool maybe I'll give it a shot. Been itching for some video game ass video gaming and just thought of freelancer today.

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

http://adoxa.altervista.org/freelancer/index.html

Make sure to grab something like "Jason's Freelancer Patch" in order to play the game in widescreen and in more modern resolutions :-)

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slasktotten: thanks for the heads up! Have also been looking at crossfire 2.0 but I think that's for after the main campaign

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freelancer is always fantastic, I only wish it was available on gog or something

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is there any way to make it work with a HOTAS? I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and would love to replay it with it if possible.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

I used to absolutely LOVE Freelancer back in the day. They should really re-make that game. Going around the systems, jumping through gates while carrying hot cargo, felt great, as did the arcadey combat.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TravisRex

@splodge: to add onto this, theres a dedicated community that developed a fantastic mod, i wish for the life of me i could remember the name of it but they added an insane amount of features as well as graphical updates, a superb game really.

Edit - freelancer discovery is the mod, do check it out.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably better then most space sims out these days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.