Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Freelancer

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Mar 04, 2003

A free roaming space sim which puts you in the shoes of a down and out pilot, and then gives you the freedom to earn your riches by performing missions for the various factions, trading or simply shooting other ships and taking their cargo!

Which recent games scratch the Freelancer itch?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

I'm not really familiar with this genre but remember fondly my time with this game. Is there anything that's like Freelancer? Something that's not super hardcore and friendly towards casual players like me?

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I havn't played a lot of this game but, Rebel Galaxy is pretty good. You drive a big freighter or a battle ship later in the game instead of a fighter like in Freelance.

I only played Rebel Galaxy for a few hours, the story is not as intense as Freelancers story, theres no alien conspiracy as far as I can tell. It's still a good game though

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Recent space sims have gotten away from what made Freelancer great. The more popular ones like Elite:Dangerous and Star Citizen cater more towards people who want to get as "real" as possible. The closest game I can think of is Rebel Galaxy. I didn't really care too much for it because of how hokey it felt and the overly country/western inspiration was a horrible attempt to make it feel like that Firefly show. It's pretty close to Freelancer, maybe with less attention to detail though? To be honest, it might be worth it to load up Freelancer with some mods to make it seem "fresh" again.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll throw another more whole hearted vote for Rebel Galaxy in. There are definitely big differences, and if the fast twitch combat is what you liked about freelancer Rebel Galaxy won't do it for you. If you don't mind replacing that with slightly more deliberate broadside naval ship combat (Depending on the ship, some are turret only) in 2D planes RG is likely what you're looking for. You can be a vigilante, a pirate, a shipping magnate, miner, or pretty much anything. I've gotten very very little into the story because it seemed pretty generic but I've got maybe 20 hours or more in just making money and shooting things. It definitely does lean on the acid country / swamp rock music for setting the mood but if you're into that it's a good time.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Thanks for suggestions.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't have much to contribute but I thought I'd mention

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You might want to look into Everspace. It's not story based at all, from what I understand, but the gameplay reminds me of Freelancer.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some Strike Suit Zero. It controls very similar. I've not played too much of it to say too much about it. I think they added some mechs to it now?

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Starpoint Gemini 2 is very similar, it even has the same sort of travel system of the speed boost

Slasktotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@an_ancient: hold on a second. There's a freelancer like game with mechs?

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slasktotten: yeah it wasn't initially, but I think i remember Austin mentioning it had mechs now which makes sense because of the "Suit" part in Strike Suite Zero

I just checked myself to make sure I wasn't talking about of my ass

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.