i dont get it

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tunaburn

I dont understand what to do. Im eating bugs with my tongue. And.... now what?

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By granderojo

YOU MUST GO DEEPER MY SON.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tunaburn

like sit there doing the frog tongue bug eating part for a long time? Cuz i did it for like 10 minutes.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You have to fix the cable.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tunaburn

oooh i see.... how the hell did i... why.... did i... waste so much time

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karkarov

@tunaburn said:

I am pretty sure you are done. Maybe buy an upgrade so you can ride a turtle while eating bugs? I am sure the greatness will show up sooner or later, except probably not.

It is cool that it is in Brad's top 10, everyone has that quirky game pick. That doesn't mean it is actually a great game most people will like though. In Frog Fractions case I see absolutely no appeal. That's okay though cause I like some games others will feel the same way about. I just wish the sites users would realize it is okay not to like a game the staff thinks is great.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordXavierBritish

@Karkarov said:

I am pretty sure you are done. Maybe buy an upgrade so you can ride a turtle while eating bugs? I am sure the greatness will show up sooner or later, except probably not.

Man you have no idea.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar

A lot of people who are saying that the game is dumb or that they don't understand it have not taken the dragon under water.

Anthony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Anthony

@Karkarov said:

@tunaburn said:

It is cool that it is in Brad's top 10, everyone has that quirky game pick. That doesn't mean it is actually a great game most people will like though. In Frog Fractions case I see absolutely no appeal. That's okay though cause I like some games others will feel the same way about. I just wish the sites users would realize it is okay not to like a game the staff thinks is great.

I don't think you even made it halfway through the game.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By FreakAche

Does the phrase "Bug Mars" mean anything to you? If not you need to keep playing.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tunaburn

im in the text adventure part. i think im stopping here

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Akyho

@tunaburn said:

im in the text adventure part. i think im stopping here

That is as far as I got. I am tempted to go back to it. However you get to see alot of the "game" to understand everyone's reaction.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tunaburn

@Akyho: i beat it. used a walkthrough for the text part. the rest is simple. i dunno its ok i guess.

ffdthree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ffdthree

part of me things this is purposeful nay-saying.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#16  Edited By alistercat

I feel the need to point out that nobody has to get it. That in no way influences someone else's experience. It has zero importance that anyone agrees with anyone else's top 10 lists, experiences, whatever.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

I really think you either have to be at a certain age or have some really deep understanding to enjoy that game.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HerbieBug

Okay I went deep and saw the stuff and did the things and swam in the pool and watched the credits.

This isn't a good game. The joke stops being funny pretty quick and by the end of it the whole thing has worn out its welcome. If you put this on a top list of best games this year, I have to think you are very easily amused.

This is 2012 version of You Have to Burn the Rope but without the brevity or charming music. :/

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 9cupsoftea

@HerbieBug: I have to agree with you a bit. It's funny, and cool, and great in a way, but I was surprised at the GB crew's reaction. I guess they rarely play these small PC indies, a lot of which are based around awesome 'moments' and 'insane humour'.

For all those who like Frog Fractions I would recommend Space Funeral, Murder Dog IV, Cart Life, and Gravity Bone.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tunaburn

i beat it. it really wasnt fun to me. that swimming part with the boxing story was so long i almost stopped right there.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Karkarov said:

@tunaburn said:

Yeah pretty terrible game, cant believe he snubbed Diablo 3 still, gave it 5 stars.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Karkarov said:

@tunaburn said:

Yeah pretty terrible game, cant believe he snubbed Diablo 3 still, gave it 5 stars.

Totally agree about D3...really weird that this game had not been mentioned at all before GOTY. I played it till I got to space and meh. I am 25 so I remember that style of game, but I just don't think it deserves all this love. Other than crazy random moments I have yet to hear any compelling argument for the game.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Kerned

It's an interesting game, and I appreciate it for how bizarre it is. Also, as a child of the 80s, I appreciate many of the things it is referencing. However, at the end of the day it just isn't very fun to play. The fact that it's in Brad's top 10 list (and was mentioned for GOTY consideration) is preposterous.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King

From what I can tell, the game's mostly floating by on Internet randomness.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Karkarov said:

@tunaburn said:

Totally agree about D3...really weird that this game had not been mentioned at all before GOTY. I played it till I got to space and meh. I am 25 so I remember that style of game, but I just don't think it deserves all this love. Other than crazy random moments I have yet to hear any compelling argument for the game.

They did explain that it was the nostalgia for the old style education games they played when they were kids in elementary school. Top it off with it being somewhat clever and funny I can see why it would connect to some people on a personal level. I played it and thought it was fun but I have no desire to go back and play it because it's not my type of game.

It sucks because these odd games don't really hit with everyone so people will claim that the people that like these types of games are being tricked or that these types of games don't deserved to be discussed on any GOTY thing. So what if you don't like it? If it resonates with someone it's done its job.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By UlquioKani

To truly appreciate the game, I think you need to stumble onto the underwater screen on your own. It blew me away when I did.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cikame

Yeah i don't get the goty votes for this game, neat little flash game.
    In a year with a new Tekken, Dead or Alive, Hitman and Capcom's version of an Elder Scrolls, there's plenty of reasons not to pick this.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#28  Edited By fox01313

Great little game, just get the upgrades you can & play around. Highly recommended to get the durian fruit upgrade to start seeing some of the quirky stuff in the game.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By AngelN7

I though it was pretty funny until one of the dialog options was YOLO...that's just too much internet is like the Adventure Time of video games (I know there is an Adventure time video game)

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Rowr

I don't understand how people can't appreciate this game unless you are under 20 or you didn't make it past the first section.

It amazingly defies expectations every five minutes like nothing i've played. It's hilariously random and a wonderful brief reliving of my gaming childhood.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#31  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Stick with it until you can get the Warp Drive and try not to look up anything online. It gets... Interesting.

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xMrSunshine

For reference I'm 19 and I made it to the text adventure part before I decided that I had spent enough time on the game. I don't understand any of the praise this game gets. I can't believe it was even considered for Top 10 GOTY and it was cut after Binary Domain for example. Sure it's oh so randhummmm but why is that so funny and a good thing? There's plenty of games (especially flash games on the internet) that are just that and they either don't get noticed or that quality is seen as a negative thing. The court part was pretty funny because of the dialog but everything else in the game was just kinda shit in an average flash game kinda way. Playing it was not fun and it was just random for the sake of random or at least it seemed like that to me. Brad said in his Top 10 video something about old educational software and how it reminds him of those so maybe it's that and I just can't understand it because I didn't have that experience.

Maybe you need to be a jaded person close to your forties to appreciate it but I just can't understand why this is a game that can be considered as a good game let alone one of the best games of the year. It's just baffling to me how many times it came up during GOTY talk especially since I hadn't heard about it at all before.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Nodima

Finally got around to trying it, loved education software like Carmen Sandiego, the games about the underwater fish and the purple car named Putt Putt, and Snapdragon and Mario in Time and all that. Didn't really get a twinge of nostalgia for that stuff though, since it was just references and not actually as rich an experience.

For me the most fun was the first section of the game, even though I'd had it spoiled by the podcast so I was really just "wasting time" to see what the game would feel like if I were "wasting time". Once the bugs started shooting though I slowly started to lose interest since there didn't seem to be any consequence, and none of the humor struck a chord with me at all. Actually, I did chuckle a little at the merman watching TV underwater on Mars.

I got to the text adventure, futzed around with it a little (mainly just tried to drink coffee and lick goop) and got tired of it. I guess I can see the charm but I have to agree with the guy that said this game is probably best enjoyed if you haven't had that one big reveal spoiled for you, because otherwise it's a pretty boring experience if the humor's not connecting with you at all.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By bvilleneuve

@xMrSunshine said:

Sure it's oh so randhummmm but why is that so funny and a good thing?

I feel I have to defend myself here even though I am just a fan of Frog Fractions. Yeah, "random humor" sucks when it's "lulz I am t3h penguin of D000m!" style humor, but "random humor" is great when it only has the appearance of being random and is actually well thought out, internally consistent, and intellectually dense. Compare random Internet flash videos to Monty Python's Flying Circus. Compare college student films to David Lynch movies. All could be accused by philistines of being "randhummmm" but there's clearly a delta in the quality somewhere, and when you start to dig into abstract and surreal art it becomes more and more clear where that difference comes from.

I would say that Frog Fractions is at the spearhead of a surrealist movement in video games that has been around for decades but is hopefully going to attract some muscle now. Look, there are going to be a bunch of shit games that take Frog Fractions as inspiration, but then there's going to be a really cool one, and eventually we'll get the Holy Motors of video games, and we'll all thank Frog Fractions. Thanks, Frog Fractions!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Milkman

I swear this isn't a weed joke.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cmblasko

I would give all of the Zorkmids on Bug Mars for a sequel to Frog Fractions.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By biggiedubs

@tunaburn said:

i beat it. it really wasnt fun to me. that swimming part with the boxing story was so long i almost stopped right there.

That shit took WAY too long. That completely ruined the pacing of the game for me, and I damn near turned it off too.

@bvilleneuve: I pretty much agree with you on your view of the game. It reminded me a lot of some of the post-modern stuff I've read / seen, in which there might be some deep and convoluted message under everything, but there might not be either.

I think that for stuff like this, if you don't have any interest in the overall theme or idea (in this case, the edutainment games) it's probably only going to come of as complete nonsense to you. But if do, it kinda jump starts your interest in it, and gives you a better shot of thinking about it in the deeper way it needs to in order for it to be fully appreciated.

And yeah, there is a huge, huge difference between random, and random for a reason. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you know the reason behind it.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By bvilleneuve

@biggiedubs said:

@bvilleneuve: I pretty much agree with you on your view of the game. It reminded me a lot of some of the post-modern stuff I've read / seen, in which there might be some deep and convoluted message under everything, but there might not be either.

I think that for stuff like this, if you don't have any interest in the overall theme or idea (in this case, the edutainment games) it's probably only going to come of as complete nonsense to you. But if do, it kinda jump starts your interest in it, and gives you a better shot of thinking about it in the deeper way it needs to in order for it to be fully appreciated.

And yeah, there is a huge, huge difference between random, and random for a reason. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you know the reason behind it.

It's not even that the message is convoluted. It's just that there's no plot message to it. If people look for a plot message, they end up feeling like they're missing something and probably disliking Frog Fractions. The plot of Frog Fractions is a pile of jubilant nonsense celebrating the jubilant nonsense of edutainment games. The "message" or "idea" (and I have significant hangups about simplifying the theme of any work to a single "message" or "idea") is in the gameplay, and in the way it interacts with the plot.

I would say that the theme of Frog Fractions is inextricable from the fact that, even though you don't really learn anything about fractions during the pond section, you still have to use fraction skills by the end when you are the president and have to decide how to allocate your resources. It's all there. Follow the money.

Frog Fractions is a thematically consistent video game, and that is a rare thing indeed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#39  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I don't get how to set a new destination. It won't let me sleep until I do.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#40  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@9cupsoftea said:

For all those who like Frog Fractions I would recommend Space Funeral, Murder Dog IV, Cart Life, and Gravity Bone.

Space Funeral was fantastic, especially the very legally acquired soundtrack with BBC Radiophone stuff, spoken word and japanese space rock. I really wish a full scale RPG would license music like that, because it was amazingly fitting.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Willtron

HOW DARE PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS THAN ME

FLASH GAME DUMB

NOT FLASH GAME NOT

DIABLO 3

FUCKIN'

DGDF

FD

FDF

DFFD

D

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mak_wikus
    @cikame said:
    Yeah i don't get the goty votes for this game, neat little flash game. In a year with a new Tekken, Dead or Alive, Hitman and Capcom's version of an Elder Scrolls, there's plenty of reasons not to pick this.
    Hitman IS a reason to pick this.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DukesT3

Oh my god...

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By xymox

@fisk0 said:

I don't get how to set a new destination. It won't let me sleep until I do.

Same. I'm all gooped up, and so is the pod, and the wires have been taken care of. Now what?

I gotta go places, man.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lethalki11ler

@FreakAche said:

Does the phrase "Bug Mars" mean anything to you? If not you need to keep playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.