Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

Following Backlash, Ubisoft Promises to Ditch From Dust's DRM

• 147 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Ubisoft has a history of going back and forth with PC players about its approach to DRM.
    Ubisoft has a history of going back and forth with PC players about its approach to DRM.

Positive or negative, slap DRM in the headline and expect a flood of comments.

The response to From Dust's DRM, however, has been exceptionally negative, fueled by Ubisoft's poor communication of what kind of DRM would be included in the PC version of Eric Chahi's latest. Ubisoft suggested there would be no DRM, but when the game arrived, there actually was DRM, asking players to be online to start the game.

Ubisoft's been buried in criticism ever since (including from myself), and it appears the publisher is cutting its losses.

"We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear," said Ubisoft forum manager bukowski113 on the company's boards.

To try and make things right (or at least better?), Ubisoft is working on a patch for the PC version, scheduled to be released in about two weeks.

"This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who’s progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally," continued the post.

After the patch is installed, players will apparently be able to play offline--no questions.

"We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding," reads the post.

If players will still be there two weeks from now, however, remains to be seen.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Positive or negative, slap DRM in the headline and expect a flood of comments.

The response to From Dust's DRM, however, has been exceptionally negative, fueled by Ubisoft's poor communication of what kind of DRM would be included in the PC version of Eric Chahi's latest. Ubisoft suggested there would be no DRM, but when the game arrived, there actually was DRM, asking players to be online to start the game.

Ubisoft's been buried in criticism ever since (including from myself), and it appears the publisher is cutting its losses.

"We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear," said Ubisoft forum manager bukowski113 on the company's boards.

To try and make things right (or at least better?), Ubisoft is working on a patch for the PC version, scheduled to be released in about two weeks.

"This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who’s progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally," continued the post.

After the patch is installed, players will apparently be able to play offline--no questions.

"We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding," reads the post.

If players will still be there two weeks from now, however, remains to be seen.

rolento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By rolento

Now I might actually pick it up.

momofire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By momofire

Yeah Ubi really dropped the ball on this one.

Liquid_Flood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Liquid_Flood

"Ubisoft promises a patch is coming to make the game completely playable online."

Isn't that the problem?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

This proves that there is such a thing as bad publicity :)

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Doctorchimp

Nah I think I'm done with ubisoft.

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EpicReflex

I assumed this was only a problem for people without Internet access? How does a patch which is inaccessible to those users fix the issue?

Cday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cday

Damage done, get your head out of your ass Ubi.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

Glad to hear it.  It's about time.

Hopefully they'll finish the fix sooner than planned.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#10  Edited By metalsnakezero

Why do they still do DRM when all of these problems happened in the past? More reason to buy PC games from Steam.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aetheldod

Misunderstanding my bollocks... Ubi is trying to recoup from their total scew up >:(

EpicReflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EpicReflex

What does DRM actually prevent? PC games are cracked without fail - seems like a pointless enterprise. 

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Evilsbane

Well....its still a shitty port but...I really wanna play the damn game so ill take their little gesture, don't pull this again Ubi I love Assassin's Creed but you've done your dance and jig on DRM one to many times.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By hockeymask27

I'm not sure the title is right?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PillClinton

Wow...wow. Laughable, LAUGHABLE.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

I'd buy it if this all pans out. The DRM misshap was pretty shitty of them but can't say I was surprised.

This should be a lesson to all you saying pirating is the answer. No it's not, not buying the game and telling the publisher where they went wrong is the answer. Affect their sales, then you'll make them care.

Vyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vyse

I think the sub header is supposed to say offline not online...that's confusing.

Authun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Authun
    @EpicReflex: The point is about those (like me) without guaranteed internet access. Well, that and Ubisoft lying about the nature of theDRM. Most days I can easily guarantee availability to the internet for patching and stuff but not all days.  

For more general 'always be on the internet' DRM, that's  slightly different question. I either just won't buy it if there's not a good reason for them to do it (in terms of game mechanics) or I will if they do (preventing the huuuge amount of duping and all round cheating Diablo 2 suffered in Diablo3). DRM has its place but it has to be justified and not lied bout. Ubisoft did not justify it for From Dust and they also lied. Besides all this, From Dust is also, sadly, a shoddy port on PC :(
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten

Good job Ubisoft, fuck you and stuff, you suck boo. I'm never playing your games again, this shit is retarded. I'm gonna go play better games while I wait for Assassin's Creed: Revelations.,. hold on wait a minute /turns off idiot mode

People crying are the funniest people ever, keeps me entertained :D

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BabyChooChoo

"Guys please, listen, I'm sorry...you gotta believe me. I didn't think it would turn out like this!"

Yamoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yamoto

.... i really fucking hate you ubisoft maby even more than ea and activison

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @EpicReflex said:
    I assumed this was only a problem for people without Internet access? How does a patch which is inaccessible to those users fix the issue?
    Isn't this a download only game?
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By korwin

Doubt the patch will fix the half assed nature of the port.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MrKlorox

Cool, but are they gonna fix the actual game part? The controls and frame limit can't be fixed as easily as applying a crack for the DRM. The port is fundamentally flawed, and the DRM has nothing to do with it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Driadon

Hey, if this patch comes out, then I'll buy From Dust. Until then, eff off Ubisoft.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By yukoasho
    @metalsnakezero said:
    Why do they still do DRM when all of these problems happened in the past? More reason to buy PC games from Steam.
    Wel the problem is that even the STEAM versions of Ubi's games have their retarded DRM.  It makes no bloody sense - why put DRM on top of DRM?  Does Ubi think that two DRMs are going to stack on top of one another?
    Dragonblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dragonblade

I mean, I get it.  
    In this day and age of constant cutthroat Activision/EA battles, companies are trying to compete to get a slice of the pie and offer gamers a choice.  They want to protect their property and profits, and nobody can fault that desire.  

But everything from SecuROM, to Tages, to StarForce to... this... has been a rolling history of years that prove intrusive, draconian DRM schemes only serve to frustrate and lose customer loyalty over and over again. To state the obvious, piracy is inevitable. They know it, we know it. It's not some obscure, strange new internet phenomenon.  

I wouldn't claim to magically 'know' an answer to their problem... after all, I'm just a mere 'consumer'. What I can say, though, is that this approach just isn't viable. Any release with shenanigans such as this don't get my bucks.  

While the patch is a good gesture, it makes me gun shy about Ubisoft's future releases, no matter what IP it is.  
    Not sure you can just patch in trust. 

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By yukoasho
    @Liquid_Flood said:

"Ubisoft promises a patch is coming to make the game completely playable online."

Isn't that the problem?

Yeah, either Klepek fucked up the header or Ubi's double-talking again.
    Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Elusionar

Unless i am mistaking, you need to be online to play a Steam game, no one is bitching about that?
    audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By audiosnow

"No, no, you misunderstood us! We said that we were implementing intrusive DRM, and you took that to mean that we were implementing intrusive DRM."  

@ZeForgotten
    said:

Good job Ubisoft, fuck you and stuff, you suck boo. I'm never playing your games again, this shit is retarded. I'm gonna go play better games while I wait for Assassin's Creed: Revelations.,. hold on wait a minute /turns off idiot mode

People crying are the funniest people ever, keeps me entertained :D

I agree that most reactions were a bit exaggerated, but that is exactly what industries need. When a company grows very large, catering to the consumer usually falls from its priority position, and it sometimes takes an obvious declaration of pocketbook rejection to fix that.
    Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Elusionar

How is DRM different than Steam?
    saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By saddlebrown

@Elusionar said:

People like Steam.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By eezo

@Elusionar said:

well in my opinion there's a huge diffrence, you can use steam offline for one thing (ofcourse not the multiplayer games, but you get the point). Secondly i also think that the way they do it is as good as it gets, the only time you have to hassle with the "DRM" is just when you type in the cdkey (unless the game is on GFWL or like from dust, on ubisofts own stuff) and it leaves you alone after that, it also doesn't deny you to play the game on diffrent computers, just download it again and there you go you play the game. I may be biased just because i love steam, and how it works but then again there must be a reason i love it, right?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Afroman269

Are they going to fix the part where it's a shit port too?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Undeadpool

THIS is how you enact change. You write/email/post on the publisher's forum (WITHOUT using the words "fucking dipshits") and you get results. You don't just throw up your hands and say "Oh well, I'll just pirate it COMPLETELY justifiably!"

redjacked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By redjacked

Did they mention anything about fixing the locked framerate and shoddy mouse control in the patch?  Even when the DRM is lightened, these issues still hobble what seems to be a pretty good game.

veXedbulldog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By veXedbulldog

Can they release a patch to make From Dust completely playable... on a PC?

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mumrik

So, what does one do?

Give them the finger, or buy the thing after the patch hits so they hopefully get the message?

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deskp

@EpicReflex: if they mange to download the game they'll manage to get a patch

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SSully

@Elusionar said:

Unless i am mistaking, you need to be online to play a Steam game, no one is bitching about that?

You are able to put steam in offline mode. It only requires you to connect to the internet once every few weeks to revalidate your ticket. If ubisoft did a similar system with their games I wouldn't mind.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By Enigma777

Wonder which excuse the pirates will use now when they torrent the game. Ubisoft is too greedy? No replay value? Seriously, let me know!

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sarkhan

@Enigma777 said:

Wonder which excuse the pirates will use now when they torrent the game. Ubisoft is too greedy? No replay value? Seriously, let me know!

Suck on egnigmas titts, as he will use it. as for he's question? YTorrent? I have to agree. People whill blame ANYTHING!!!

misterhaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43  Edited By misterhaan

this sounds like a reasonable response to the drm issue, and if it took them this long to make sure they got it right, i can see that too.  now i just wish they'd make other parts of the game better, like the mostly identical, unskippable cutscene between each level and not being able to save during a level.

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shadowsquire

@Rolento said:

Now I might actually pick it up.

Same here. I always play smaller downloadable games like this on my laptop at campus where I don't have an internet connection (or at least a reliable one)

Sirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sirico

Too late... Deus Ex!

Gildermershina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Gildermershina

The DRM crap doesn't bother me, it's the framerate, the lack of AA, the control issues. That and the fact that Bastion launched on Steam with basically no major issues and already there's been three or four patches, but From Dust seemingly isn't going to have anything for two weeks.  

That said, the fact you have this intrusive DRM launcher system for ubisoft games even on Steam is kinda silly. Sure, you get cloud saves, but Steamworks gives you that. Achievements? Steamworks. Patching? Steamworks... I understand that Steamworks doesn't even require the game to be on Steam, but at this stage, why wouldn't you just have it run on Steam anyway? Every single thing this uPlay thing (or any of these DRM-launcher things) does, Steam does better.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrKlorox

@misterhaan said:

now i just wish they'd make other parts of the game better, like the mostly identical, unskippable cutscene between each level

That's just the way this game handles in-between level loading screens. The migration video plays while the game is loading in the background, and it switches to real-time rendering when they crawl out of the hole. Beats a spinning circle or low resolution fog. I still think I'd prefer reading Tribe Memory entries during that time though since there's no reason to read them outside of the game.

octa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By octa

How about all the other problems, especially the glaring lack of true mouse support? It feels like an emulated analogue stick.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#49  Edited By MeatSim

They really need to make up there mind on there DRM stance.

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wickedsc3

I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't mind DRM. Because I know if people were stealing my shit I would be pissed and try to find a way to stop it. I think people just need to understand while it may be of more hassle to you the legal consumer, it is a necessary thing to have. And until someone comes up with a better solution it is going to be the norm.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.