Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

From Dust

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 27, 2011

As a benevolent god known as 'the Breath', players must lead their people to safety and help them retrieve the lost knowledge of their ancestors by manipulating the shape of the terrain of the world in this spiritual successor to Populous.

From Dust, DRM and Why Ubisoft Can Only Blame Itself

Summoboomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By Summoboomo
    @mikey87144 said:

Does DRM really work? I've always believed that the people who pirate games never intended to purchase them. It seems to always be the case that DRM hurts the consumer.

The Assassin's Creed DRM worked in the sense that it took a few extra weeks for pirates to crack it, and those two extra weeks were a valuable window to sell the game, but in the long run no, not really. With Ubisoft's DRM, you usually end up with pirates getting better gaming experiences than paying customers.  

It's unfortunate, but at least pirates are looking out for themselves and paying customers alike, in that there's already an offline-mode crack available.

e: that was a lot of fucking commas what the hell is wrong with me.
    Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#252  Edited By Rongaryen

I avoid this whole issue by not buying or playing Ubisoft games.

Anjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Anjon

I don't think any DRM is uncrackable. Are there any games that haven't been cracked by pirates? Every once in a while you'll hear a funny story about "wacky" anti-pirating measures like phsyics-breaking Batman in Arkham Asylum, but even those don't stop people for long. I'd like to say "if games were cheaper, people wouldn't pirate them", but I know that's not the case. Even cheap $5 games get pirated. I think publishers are aiming for an unattainable goal.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Capum15
    @StingingVelvet said:
    I think it's a principle thing for some people.  "I should not have to ask Valve to play my boxed game purchase."  I mean I get that... imagine having to ask Warner Bros. before you watch Bladerunner on a Saturday night, it's a little hinky.  That said on the PC no one can really take your games away, the open nature of the platform means someone will always get those DRM'd games working down the line if there is no official means.  Just like there are mods and tweaks that get old games like Thief to run well on Win7 there will be mods, tweaks and hacks to get Portal 2 running on Win16 if need be.  That's just the nature of the platform and one of its main benefits.  Personally for me buying content on Xbox Live or PSN, closed systems that will be shut down someday, is a LOT worse.
    I can see that with boxed games, as that's kinda crappy, but I've never gotten a boxed PC game that needed Steam. All Steam-related games for me have been downloaded from it. Anyway, I agree with your Live/PSN thing, as it's the reason I got the Episodes from Liberty City disc instead of downloading it.

Question, do you need Live to run any games you downloaded from live? Like From Dust. I haven't bought games from it, just some DLC things for Fallout 3 and NV, so I'm not sure how that works with full games.
    Braag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Braag

Glad I bought Bastion over this. I was actually looking forward to playing From Dust but all this talk about it being a poor port has put me off, unfortunately.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#256  Edited By StingingVelvet
    @Capum15 said:
    Question, do you need Live to run any games you downloaded from live? Like From Dust. I haven't bought games from it, just some DLC things for Fallout 3 and NV, so I'm not sure how that works with full games.
    You don't need Live to play the games on the machine you bought them, just on other machines.  You always need Live to download and "install" them though, similar to Steam.  If they shut down Live on the 360 someday like they did the original Xbox and you need to put the games on a new machine, even from a hard drive, you will be screwed.  They might transfer the content over to the next Xbox though, but then you're still on borrowed time.
    Icebuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By Icebuncle

I bought Settlers 7 a little while after it was released. At first I didn' have any problems with the DRM, but two months later I moved to a different country to attend a University. This year I have lived on campus and for some reason the Uni had decided to block all online gaming on the school network, making it impossible for me to start up the game.
    So there I sat, more than a little frustrated that I couldn't play a game that I had legitimately bought in a store.

I'm sure that a lot of people have been in the same situation as me, and I don't understand how Ubi fails to realise that they are pushing their customers away. Their "War on Piracy" ends up punishing legitimate buyers even more than the pirates. People will always find ways to crack games and can enjoy them as they want, while the buyers are left with rediculous restrictions. Does that seem right to them?

Danda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Danda

I only bought From Dust because I believed their bullshit about it don't having DRM. I won't fall for that next time. 

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#259  Edited By Dagbiker

THis is BullShit We Should RIOT

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#260  Edited By haggis

"The key phrase here is "for that session," whereas Ubisoft's original statement suggested "no sessions.""

Ehhh ... not really. At least that's not how I read it. I read it as logging in each session. It doesn't make sense otherwise. I can see how it could be misread, but I don't think the statement necessarily implies what is suggested here. I know gamers don't like this, but Ubi said that it was doing this on a case-by-case basis. I can imagine some frustration, but the over-the-top anger about this seems a bit silly to me.

"That said, Ubisoft has no one to blame but themselves for this situation."

Ehhh ... again, no. Gamers asked for clarification, and got it. They didn't like what they heard. I like the sly justification offered by Klepek for the torrenting of the game, though. Never realizing, of course, that that's the point of the DRM in the first place. Everyone knows that Ubi is going to use this sort of DRM on games. It's not a surprise. Hell, it's not even inconvenient. People are bitching about the principle of the thing, not that it actually causes them any difficulty. Ubi knows this, which is why they haven't backed down on the DRM.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By mosdl

@zaglis said:

Yeah, I dunno. Magicka sold like 800k copies. Awful for a 10$ niche digital-only game, right?

800k? Sweet, didn't hear about that. I know Torchlight did over a million before the XBLA version.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By MrKlorox

This release has MANY more issues that shitty Ubisoft DRM. I mean a crack can easily circumvent the DRM, but there's nothing short of an official patch to fix the frame rate cap and control issues and overall "console backwash" this port reeks of.

@Buzzkill said:

Another reason to stick with Steam over Origin. Valve is a company for gamers who stopped a scumbag publisher. +1 Valve

What the fuck does this have to do with Origin? Jesus Christ, internet, I swear.....

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By mrcraggle

Too bad more companies don't think about DRM and piracy like Team Meat.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

""On one torrent search engine site alone, there are nearly 2,000 players downloading a "cracked" version of From Dust. Piracy would happen anyway, but it's easy to see how much of that would be fueled by From Dust unexpectedly having DRM."" 

Laughable comment really trying to put forth that piracy is fueled by wanting to bypass DRM...when its fueld by wanting to get the game free exclusively. 

by the way enjoying this game on 360.
    jrlyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By jrlyon
    @Buzzkill said:

Another reason to stick with Steam over Origin. Valve is a company for gamers who stopped a scumbag publisher. +1 Valve

Oh yeah steam is fantastic. Just today I tried to open up Civ 5 after letting it sit for a few months. Steam won't let me. Has my computer changed? Nope. Has the steam client? Yep. It took it's sweet time updating and restarting itself not to mention posting it's spammy adverts all over my computer while it did and now it won't let me start my game. Yeah, steam's a dream come true. What a marvel!! Yet another way for a company to get between me and the game I bought, spam me with games I don't want to buy and not let me play unless it feels like it or I go through a lengthy debug session with the mods telling me it's my fault unless I can prove otherwise. Needless to say I'll not buy another game on that POS.
    yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#266  Edited By yukoasho
    @falpatrick said:
    DRM is lame indeed but what's worse is the quality of the ports they give us. Remember the Double Agent port?.. Phahahaha, Ubisoft, stop trying to make PC games.  You've already broke my heart :'(
    I think Ubi's pathetic always-on DRM (which is clearly not working, as evidenced by no one else doing it) and their pathetic console ports go hand in hand.  They're a company that doesn't really care about PC users, and it's been evident from the start just about.  They're a console company that sees the PC as nothing more than a testbed to see what consumers will put up with. 

Honestly, I don't get why they see the need to be in the PC space at all.  They don't want to put in the work to make the games better, and indeed put in work to make them worse.  They really should save their money and be an exclusive console manufacturer.
    Tanstaafl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By Tanstaafl

@jrlyon: Just to contrast your horrible experience with steam with my own great experience I thought id share my recent story. I just got a new computer, so EVERYTHING has changed, yet all I had to do to get my 200+ gigs of games working on my new computer was copy over the steam directory.. Afterwards every game I started either worked immediately or after updating a couple files.. contrast that with reinstalling 200+ gigs of games or even worse, re-downloading them. That's one of the many reasons why I love steam. I've only ever had maybe 2 issues with steam, Once it failed to update and I had to rename the Steam.new to steam.exe and it was fixed. I can't even remember the other issue it was so minor... I've been with steam since they forced us to switch over from WON.net for half-life 1, so I've been around :-)

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#268  Edited By xpgamer7

@digitalsea87: I think it's two things. The feeling that you're being restricted because of something you didn't do and not having the power to still play your game in the case that anything ever happens to ubisoft's servers or to your own internet connection.

Axelhander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By Axelhander

I'm okay with always-on DRM in games. Sorry gamers, but freeloaders ruined it for everyone.

I'm NOT okay with a dev saying something in certainty then not delivering on that thing, like what Ubisoft has clearly done, even though I have zero interest in From Dust.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#270  Edited By jakob187

Honestly, a ton of the people who would more than likely be playing this will be somewhere that internet is accessible. Therefore, I still kind of feel like the "always-on DRM" that people are bitching about is just internet bitching happening because it's the internet and people will rage.

HOWEVER, Ubisoft not being clear and/or lying about the policy is pretty fucked. Beyond that, the increase in internet hacking for different accounts would definitely make me as a consumer weary of being online at all times with a game. That seems like a hacker's heaven.

Either way, I'll keep playing it on Xbox 360. It's perfectly fine on there, and from what I am to believe, the game is more stable on there anyways.

nivi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#271  Edited By nivi

@Axelhander: So you're fine even if it doesn't actually stop piracy at all?

Rocnael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Rocnael

Didn't buy the game. Glad I stayed out of this mess. 
    W4TSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By W4TSON

@brianbeatdown: Couldn't of said it better my friend!

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By laugurinn

DRM + Shitty port = more piracy, now and in the future. Congratulations Ubisoft, you just shot yourself in the dick.

chem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#275  Edited By chem

I hate the DRM but it's something I can live with. The rumors about the PC version being a crappy port are a real bummer for me. Brad was talking about how the game is great but would benefit from more precise controls (and I love this genre of games) so I pre-purchased on Steam. I feel really cheated (even though I have myself to blame for pre-purchasing like a sucker).

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#276  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    ""On one torrent search engine site alone, there are nearly 2,000 players downloading a "cracked" version of From Dust. Piracy would happen anyway, but it's easy to see how much of that would be fueled by From Dust unexpectedly having DRM.""  Laughable comment really trying to put forth that piracy is fueled by wanting to bypass DRM...when its fueld by wanting to get the game free exclusively.
    That's an awfully big assumption on your part. Enjoy your moral high ground, I guess.
    spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By spekingur

You know, that tsunami shot on the top of the page - having finished the game on the PC I have never seen the tsunamis look that good. Basically looking like it is a wave that is about to crash down. I guess that this must have been one lucky screengrab.

Twilightdusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Twilightdusk

" Vocal concerns over this type of DRM, principle aside, stem from an incident where hackers brought Ubisoft's authentication servers down, stopping some users from playing Assassin's Creed II." 

Wait hold up, I thought the incident was that Ubisoft's servers couldn't handle the large volume of gamers trying to connect to play the game and it crashed, since when did hackers have to do with it?

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Rockanomics

@Spekingur: I was looking at that too and I'm pretty sure it's gotta be concept art.

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#280  Edited By zeus_gb

If you don't like the DRM policy of Ubisoft then don't buy the game or indeed any of their games.

PuppyKisses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By PuppyKisses

Typical Ubisoft. 

Still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2...

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By InertiaticESP

I mean we all understand that if it weren't for pirates that this wouldn't be happening.  

I'm glad that devs chose to try and impliment a DRM rather than just ending PC development completely. However, if they can't realize that pirates don't have to deal with DRM and paying customers do... 

I suspect UbiSoft will not be making PC games in a few years. Half-Life Three will bring a rise in popularity to PC gaming, just like HL2 did, but it might die out after. 

It's sad because Steam only just came to Mac recently, so I've only just been introduced to the world of BioShock, Amnesia, etc. Not to mention my favorite games (Infinity Engine AD&D!) Baldur's Gate and IceWind dale are all on PC.

Brydinut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Brydinut

I got this and am super-frustrated with this DRM. One of the only times I've regretted my purchase greatly.

Oddsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Oddsor
    @InertiaticESP: I'd honestly prefer it if publishers with a DRM-fetish just got the hell off the PC platform, hopefully the market would open up even more for indie developers or publishers who understand how much of a waste DRM is.

I've more or less stayed away from Ubisoft-games for three years now because most of their games have had stupid DRM, so I guess I'll have to keep it up.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f74090d8a6ae
    deactivated-5f74090d8a6ae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

360 it is then. 

spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By spekingur

@Rockanomics: Yeah, it probably is. The game isn't far off though. It's a pretty looking game and frankly, I can't wait for From Dust 2 announcement :p

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 27

#287  Edited By poisonjam7

That is the EXACT same message Steam gave me when I tried to get a refund. Personally, I have  no problem with the DRM, but rather the poor job of porting it to PC. I'd like to get my money back so I can purchase the 360 version, but emails to both Ubi and Steam have yielded no results.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#288  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@PuppyKisses said:

Typical Ubisoft. Still waiting for Beyond Good and Evil 2...

Have fun with that. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited too, but at the rate Ubisoft is going, I can't imagine that game is high on their priority list assuming it's on there at all.

Monkeymantjg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By Monkeymantjg

I don't buy UBI soft games any more as for the drop in Piracy, easy access and crazy sales make games more accessible through places like steam. EA is coping UBI soft too. I get back from work load up a game (EA products) via PC or Xbox360 and get a message can not connect to server so you cant play the game you bought ...... DRM can be done better but as long as Big Companies push horrible barriers to entry then gamers are going to not buy your shit..... be it game or tag lines about not having an active connection to play the game. Another example is when I bought front lines fuels of war for some reason the Disc read .... error put disc in tray and press enter. apparently the DRM was not set up for windows 7 64bit I bought the game and couldn't play it when I finally get to play I fined the game weak....

Foxillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#290  Edited By Foxillusion

I purchased a legal copy of from dust and spent the weekend with friends in another city. They've just moved in (no internet). So, I couldn't run the game that I just purchased on my laptop. I'd have loved to show them.

Yeah, there will be internet in this apartment soon, and this situation rarely happens. I get it. But, it's disheartening. I legitimately paid for the game and I'm one of the ones really getting punished for it.

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By aldo_q

The entire concept of this DRM is shooting yourself in the foot. Sure Ubisoft has a right to do it. But it will never cause better sales, rather worse. For various reasons:

- It does not stop piracy. In fact it will make the pirated copy the superior one as you won't need to be online to play that one.

- It punishes honest consumers.

- It makes the collectability of a game useless. Aside from the pirated copy there is no urge to collect this type of game for collectors. Since it will stop working when Ubisoft pulls the plug. While perhaps not the biggest market, there are a significant amount of people who choose to buy original games not just because 'it's the right thing to do', but also because they are collectors. Their motivation will be a lot lower with this type of DRM.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#292  Edited By Tesla

I've taken dumps that could make better decisions than whoever is responsible for these moves over at Ubisoft.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#293  Edited By Rowr

An RTS port to the pc that has a shitty framerate and shitty controls on a mouse. Throw some shitty DRM in, is there really any fucking suprise here that pc gamers are pissed off?

Doesn't even sound worth pirating.

They only fucked themself when they went on the whole assassins creed 2 rampage, with their "UNHACKABLE DRM". Surely they went from say a 10 percent piracy to 75 percent piracy rate for that assfoolery. Just fucking accept that a percentage of pc gamers wont pay for your game under any circumstance and move the fuck on - Most of these piraters are seasoned veterans of gaming and if you dont fuck them around and offer a decent product they will purchase the fuck out of it. Have a look at how well battlefield bad company 2 sold on pc. And that was broken as fuck when it came out on pc.

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Revenant86

I Wish Ubisoft would just learn to roll with the punches like everyone else. 

Skidrow cracked from dust before it even hit shelves. 

Modern Warfare 2 was Pirated more times than it was actually bought. you know why? Because they we're angry about Dedicated servers. 

This is what happens when you anger the community. They got the Dragon Age 2 Treatment, and they deserved it.

offsprnvid24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By offsprnvid24

Another reason I amm glad I play console games!

jpoon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By jpoon78

Ubisoft has lost a sale from me. I almost picked this up on Steam until I learned about their bullshit DRM scheme and even worse how poorly optimised this game is for PC. Lazy lazy lazy liars!

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#297  Edited By Alphazero

Do people really have computers that aren't connected to the Internet? What do they use them for? Playing King's Quest?

DrCuddles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By DrCuddles

This is just the worst way of doing it, my internet's been going up and down lately (fixed it now like) but that would absolutely wreck my game play with this.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By time allen

ubisoft continue to be shitty. shocking.

mrmud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By mrmud

I think the poor port with terrible controls and bad frame rates are possibly even worse than the DRM.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.