Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

FromSoftware, Inc.

Company »

A Japanese publisher and developer known for the Souls, Armored Core, Tenchu, and King's Field franchises.

Will FROM ever make another mech game?

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I get that souls is popular and all but as a huge Armored Core fan its a constant reminder that FROM isn't making mech games. And I feel like I have heard people say that FROM doesn't want to make souls games anymore but they have to cause they're so profitable. So I'm hoping that they're gonna take a break from souls and make a new mech game at some point. Has anyone heard anything on this? Or has another of my favorite series fallen by the wayside?

I feel like we are approaching a future where all my favorite series are gone and all thats left are, souls likes, monster hunter likes, and mobas.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By hatking

Hopefully something other than Souls games are next for them. I appreciate what those are, but I like some of their other work and I don't want them to become a one trick pony. I don't even care if I don't get another Chrome Hounds or Armored Core. Just something that's a significant departure from Souls would be nice.

Edit: They have been pretty explicit about being done with Souls right now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Metal Wolf Chaos 2

Let's go, Mr. President!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mech Souls

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Metal Wolf Chaos 2

Let's go, Mr. President!

I would love for the first one to be released in the west. That game always looked nuts.

@zeik said:

Mech Souls

I might actually go for that. Not sure what that would even be. Like a mech game even slower than the first armored core? Isn't that just Robot Alchemic Drive?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miyazaki said in an interview a few days that "Armored Core is one of the pillars of From Software's lineup", so there's almost certainly another one of those coming at some point. They're working on a new IP right now though so who knows how long it'll actually take to come out(although From does have over 200 people; they could easily be doing a new IP and a new AC and oh dear god just keep the people responsible for Steel Battalion Heavy Armor as far away from either of these games as possible)

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#7  Edited By Savage

From an interview with Miyazaki yesterday: From is not working on any more Dark Souls games for now, they've got a new IP under development, and Miyazaki wants to make another Armored Core but can't say anything more than that.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8 fisk0  Moderator

It hasn't been that long since the last Armored Core. Didn't Verdict Day come out between Dark Souls 1 and 2? At least it hasn't been long enough for me to start questioning whether they've given up on the series or not, but, sure, I wouldn't mind if their next game was a mech game again.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

It hasn't been that long since the last Armored Core. Didn't Verdict Day come out between Dark Souls 1 and 2? At least it hasn't been long enough for me to start questioning whether they've given up on the series or not, but, sure, I wouldn't mind if their next game was a mech game again.

I guess I kind of gave up on the last few AC games when they started forcing multiplayer into it. But I think the last one I played was For Answer.

Were the V games any good?

What I really want is for them to make another game in the style of the first AC. It really bugged me when the mechs stopped walking and just hover all the time. They move too fast. I prefer the slow stomping mechs with jet boosters.

Maybe I'm too picky.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I hope so. Modern From makes incredible games, and I'd love to see that translate into a mech game. Assuming they can keep the flame alive, and this wasn't just a weird, five game fluke with the Souls games.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so. Modern From makes incredible games, and I'd love to see that translate into a mech game. Assuming they can keep the flame alive, and this wasn't just a weird, five game fluke with the Souls games.

Were the Kings Field games ever actually popular? And are the souls games just them getting it right? I remember trying to play a Kings Field game back in the day but for some reason that I cannot remember it was all in japanese. Maybe it was a playstation underground demo?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

We can only hope, but, no, probably not.

@devil240z said:
    @mooseymcman said:

Were the Kings Field games ever actually popular? And are the souls games just them getting it right? I remember trying to play a Kings Field game back in the day but for some reason that I cannot remember it was all in japanese. Maybe it was a playstation underground demo?

There's a Final Fantasy-type situation that happened with KF.

• King's Field (PS1) never left Japan
    • King's Field II (PS1) came to the west, but was called King's Field
    • King's Field III (PS1) also came to the west, but was called King's Field II
    • King's Field IV (PS2) also came to the west, but was called King's Field: The Ancient City
    • There are PSP games (Japan only)

Anecdotally, I actually think they were kind of popular. I can't really account for why else the name has been so familiar to me for so long! For historical purposes, why not check out GB friend-of-the-site and Supergiant Giant Greg Kasavin's reviews of the first two games! A-ha!

GameReview LinkSummaryScore
    King's FieldHere"The unfaltering polygonal consistency of King's Field is mesmerizing after extended play."6.7
    King's Field IIHere"The first King's Field was an excellent game, and its like-minded sequel is even better."7.3

The closing text of the first review is actually hilariously soulsy, looking at it now:

"King's Field is very challenging, and refuses to be completed in a day, or even a week or a month. This non-linear, immersive adventure role-playing game is filled with elegant scenery, memorable monsters, and many miles of frontier to explore. While King's Field may seem unpleasantly action-oriented to the traditional role-playing gamer, and the avid adventurer might find it sluggish, open-minded gamers should be more than pleased with King's Field's execution - if only because of the sheer size and grandeur of the setting."

There are other reviews out there for the interested, some neat tidbits here and there. Sounds like it generally hit somewhere in the 70-80% mark for most publications (EGM, Famitsu) though there are some notable outliers, including GamePro.

Edit: Oh and by the by @devil240z, I think the game you may have played was Shadow Tower, a pseudo-sequel to King's Field, which did have a demo with Playstation Underground, and it was in Japanese. Maybe not the same game, but could be! Never played it but it sounds even closer to what we know today as Souls than King's Field (they added a shield which is used for real-time blocking for example). Apparantly - and let me finally apologize for the length of this post - the sequel to this game, Shadow Tower Abyss is really rather close to the Souls games (collect souls to level, break/piece/slash dmg types, etc). Again, no idea personally what the game is like, and plus, it only ever came out in Japan.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'd much prefer a new IP, but that's me. With all this talk of Souls verging on becoming old hat, I don't want them returning to the well with any franchise. I want legitimately new ideas. Plus, ehhhh mechs bore me to tears.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

actually, now that I think about it.... How big was their Tenchu series until they ran that into the ground?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Armored Souls incoming

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be pretty cool with it if they took a break from the Souls series for a year or two and focused on their other properties. Just as long as they occasionally release DLC for Dark Souls 3 to keep fans happy that would be great.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@marz said:

Armored Souls incoming

@zeik said:

Mech Souls

How awesome would an open-world mech RPG be?!

NickyDubz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cookies and Cream 2:Mech Souls

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yeah, but it will take place in a once great but now fallen and dying kingdom, populated by the forlorn, the insane, and those broken hordes that have succumbed to a horrible curse. Your quest will be to link the flame by firing a huge laser at it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knack 2: The Real Knack Souls Starts Here (PS Plus Excloosive)

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

I guess I kind of gave up on the last few AC games when they started forcing multiplayer into it. But I think the last one I played was For Answer.

What I really want is for them to make another game in the style of the first AC. It really bugged me when the mechs stopped walking and just hover all the time. They move too fast. I prefer the slow stomping mechs with jet boosters.

Maybe I'm too picky.

Verdict Day's up there for me, as far as favorite AC is concerned (ForAnswer was also really awesome). I'm with you, though, forcing multiplayer into those games does nothing for its livelihood, and makes VD sort of weird to play now. I'd imagine V is in the same boat, but I never played it. But, you can build partner AIs in VD, along with their own mechs (which I really enjoyed).

Verdict Day is also slower paced than ForAnswer, so it might be right up your alley. The mechs in VD are much bulkier; less air-fighter-y.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nonused: OK I should probably get that.

haxdax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By haxdax

Ctrl F: Chromehounds. 0 results. I hate you guys :( And if anyone actually is interested in Chromehounds, check out M.A.V. on steam. Basically a fan remake.

Edit: Sorry guys. Technology has failed me. Didn't actually hate you guys.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@haxdax: Someone mentioned it in the very first reply to this topic, they just put a space in between Chrome and Hounds.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@haxdax: Chromehounds was mentioned in literally the second post. Albeit spelled as two words but still. I also maybe still can't decide if I actually like playing that game.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Mech games? Pffft, I'm still waiting for Lost Kingdoms 3. Just me? Okay then.

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Another Century's Episode 4.

The time is now From Soft! I will import it!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haxdax said:

Ctrl F: Chromehounds. 0 results. I hate you guys :( And if anyone actually is interested in Chromehounds, check out M.A.V. on steam. Basically a fan remake.

Edit: Sorry guys. Technology has failed me. Didn't actually hate you guys.

Chromehounds was the best wasn't it. Spent countless hours just in the garage alone.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if the mechs are very agile and fluid in their movements. I'd expect more third person pseudo souls, though probably in a weirder setting after Bloodborne 2 and 3.

DukeMcFrenzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the first 3 AC games. 4 was meh. V was awesome but i couldnt really get to into it for some reason. I even tried the PSP one but it took so long to load that i couldnt do it.

I would love a new AC as I never got to play Titanfall and my Mech spot is itchy and needs scratching

littlegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorite memory from the most recent Armored Core game is that if you're in the solo queue in multiplayer you can randomly get paired with a bunch of other solos and show up as the REAPER SQUAD instead of a regular team. It was such a From Software thing to do.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Played the hell out of Armored Core 2, but I'm ready for them to try something brand new. No idea what kind of design they'll approach next.

Although if Bloodborne 2 were to happen, I'd be more than satisfied. Seems like they only scratched the surface with that world. And I wouldn't mind a sequel there, especially since there are already fifteen Armored Core games!

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

Maybe I'm too picky.

I am going to say that if people actually started getting into the AC games as much they have taken to the Souls games than you will find heavy Cores with tank treads will be equivalent to Havel Heavy Armor wearers and the people who get light cores with perpetual Boosters will be the new fast roll. Personally I really liked it when hovering become necessary to avoid getting shot dozens of time. I changed the control scheme so that R3 button boosts so I could dodge, boost and shoot at the same time. Such a great game.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I looked through my box of ps3 games and I guess I already have V. That one had the bad online junk? Did verdict day have as much of that?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By monkeyking1969

I like the first two Armored Core games on the first PlayStation, but gradually they just became more esoterically uninteresting. While the minutia of heat, weight, power, armament, and armor scores for each piece was a otaku's dream for some, it really added NOTHING to 'engaging' game play for most players. Siting in menus trying to figure out what gave your walking/flying/skating robot the best advantage was tedious.

I'd like to see another Armored Core game but one where the menus system for outfitting you mech was streamlined and easier; and one where the controls of the mech were not a finger twisting mess of leg, torso, head independent movements meant to drive people nuts.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: AC1 is surely my favorite but the controls make it difficult to go back to.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ninja Blade 2.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd love a return to the slower paced AC games from the PS1-2 era with modern tweaks the the controls. The only real thing that bothers me is how the soundtrack after Nexus took a dramatic turn and hasn't really come back to the light hearted electronica of old. It's too oppressive and moody now, still a few good tracks but it's not as good to me.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Still, there's a few that retain the spirit of the old stuff but it's closer to AC 4 than anything old school, owells.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Armored Core 1 was on sale on PSN for like $1.50 so I have been playing it on my VITA which is probably the best way to play since the VITA lets you re-map all the controls. Did they ever add that functionality to PS1 games on the PS3?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.