Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Frostpunk

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Apr 24, 2018

Frostpunk is a city-building survival game set in a Victorian steampunk world facing another ice age. The goal is survival by means of tough political decisions and smart city-planning. It was developed by 11 Bit Studios, the developers of This War of Mine.

Why have I not heard of this game before?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1 sgtsphynx  Moderator

Saw the list of GI's E3 Hot 50 and this game was on it. A city/society sim set in a frozen steampunk world? Yes please. It's the This War of Mine devs and I think they can pull off an oppressive atmosphere for this game. If nothing else, that has me interested.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

RPS just did a preview on it. It sounds like one to keep an eye on.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/06/26/frostpunk-preview-survival/

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

I really liked what I played of this War of Mine, a truly unique experience.

This looks neat! I love a city-builder.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prob cause indie games are a dime-a-dozen, and you really have to sift through a mountain of crap to find the good stuff.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

It is reviewing really well... and very consistently well.

One for my watchlist.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah this seem very cool.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Just started playing it last night. Really good but some of the systems aren't fully explained by the tutorials so there is a bit of discovery that needs to be done.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Put a good few hours into it at this point, and I'm torn. It's far from bad, and does well at what it tries to do, but I feel like they should've pushed it a bit further. The biggest disappointment by far is the fact that there's very little randomness, making replay value pretty low. The base map is the exact same every time you play it (although there are three different scenarios), and while it has an overworld map akin to This War of Mine you don't actually visit the locations, and many of them stay the same as well.

It falls into the same category as a lot of these early access base building games we've seen crop up for a while now. It's fun to explore and experiment the first time around, but then once you figure it out you can just blast through it and then there's nothing more to do. It's a much tighter experience with a much better presentation than most of them, but it's still lacking that extra level that takes these games from being a fun 5-8 hours experience to something you'd gladly return to several (if not plenty of) times.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By matatat

@ares42: I'm thinking this might be why I'm drawn to this game, because I only play through these types of games until I get bored (usually around 8 hours) or until I finish a story mode. So while it's not new after the first playthrough, I think I'm liking that it's really focused in that way. But I would welcome an endurance mode or something like that down the line.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Just finished the main story. This game is great, 4/5! I would easily recommend it to anyone on the fence.

Good:

• Great sense of hopelessness and despair
    • The balancing act of maintaining your city's sparce resources and building your city is fun
    • The end game is satisfyingly tense

Bad:

• There's some trial and error with figuring out the systems that aren't explained to you in order to maximize eficiency
    • In the mid to late game when you have built up a sizable city, there's no good way (at least that I've seen) to find and select the buildings you want. You just have to search in a sea of similarly colored buildings

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.